What's currently/still flying under the radar

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

What's currently/still flying under the radar

Post by cartesia » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:20 pm

OK So I'd like to pickup a cheap synth sometime soon.. nothing fancy, mono/analog or poly/VA perhaps.. I havent been watching ebay for a good 2 years! (wow... used to spend so much of my life there)

I was looking into the waldorf pulse as they used to sell for like $175 but the only one up atm for where i am is after $800 :( times have changed? or just a crazy dude?

Also in particular wondering if basstation keyboards are still going out cheap... anyone seen one go recently?

Otherwise if there's nothing, the mopho is not much further up the price I figure so that could be settled for I spose.. I'd love to hear some odd leftball suggestions though, although im not interested in teh ATomolabs synths.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Re: What's currently/still flying under the radar

Post by Hybrid88 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:43 pm

Good to see you Cartesia :)

You know I think if you want value without something being overrated, no doubt you would do well to get a new analog second hand.

I'd suggest, a new Tom Oberheim SEM, DSI Mopho/Prophet '08 and moog Little Phatty are all great for what they go for on the secondhand market.

Vintage Roland, Korg, Moog, or Arp almost never go at really good prices now on eBay.

Pulses I've seen have been about $4-500, Basstations about $2-300 ;)

...and don't spread it, but the Roland V-Synth original is one of the best value VA's on the market right now, it's yet to achieve the pricing it deserves. 8-)

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:55 pm

Crumar BitOne never flew period. Find one of those jawns.
bonne chance

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:41 pm

waldorf blofeld if you don't get one with bad encoders. Cheap and amazing VA. Sampling is kinda useless IMHO due to the pain of getting samples on there but it was cool if only to have ROM-sounds mangled through the engine. Too bad it's only 2 out / no inputs.

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Bass Station 2

Post by cartesia » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:04 am

thanks for the suggestions...

I did own a blofeld for a while.. it was kinda love/hate.. I loved the synth, but hated the way they had implemented the multitimbral mode.. the lack of more outputs as well, definitely annoying

Think I might hang out for a 2ndhand newschool analog like you say hybrid88, reliability is nice! and being able to save/etc

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:15 am

In my opinion the Korg R3 is very much an underrated synth at the moment, and of course the V-Synth still is.

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:22 am

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50, JV-1080
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:54 pm

Blofeld!

bachmaninoff
Gear: Alesis Fusion 6HD, Kawai K4, Yamaha V50, Roland D-110, HP 8460P, Synapse Audio Orion 8.6, Reason 7, Renoise 3.

Post by bachmaninoff » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:15 am

Doesn't get much cheaper than this brand new:

http://www.novamusik.com/search.aspx?ty ... 449&lbs=12

:shock:

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:50 am

bachmaninoff wrote:Doesn't get much cheaper than this brand new:

Wow, that's crazy cheap.

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:26 am

Wow. I never knew this word was so local to Philadelphia. I thought it was just a general ghetto thing. I'm assuming that's why you posted it sans explanation :lol: :lol:

bachmaninoff wrote:Doesn't get much cheaper than this brand new:

That's a fantastic deal!
bonne chance

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Bass Station 2

Post by cartesia » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:38 am

that's pretty amazing for the miniak, although interface-wise it's not really gonna fit for me.. I'd consider going with a few encoders-based interface for a newschool analog, since I have to negotiate some points to fit my budget, but for anything else (VA/etc) I'd want a much higher knob-count

as far as "jawn"
I'm on the other side of the planet, so... definitely no meaning here :P

condit79
Gear: 5U modular/STG/.com, Mopho, Sixtrak, Sprocket, xoxbox, juno 6, ESQ1, SY35, Ipad
Band: lvoe

Post by condit79 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:32 am

From what I've been seeing lately, there are a few things that are really cool values. For monophonic sounds, I love the DSI Mopho keyboard (I had the desktop module and hated having to use a computer to program it). It's small, which is nice for carrying it around, is metal and wood and the sound is pretty huge. I got mine as a floor demo for $600 recently.

You can occasionally score a Moog made Realistic Concertmate Mg-1 for around $350. It's great if you don't mind creating all your patches from scratch. The great part about it is the Polyphonic section, even though its mainly considered a monosynth. If you want the classic Moog sound on the cheap, it's pretty amazing. I've actually owned two of these and were amazing for expressive live performance and the interface encouraged a lot of experimentation for me, but the routing is a bit limited when you want to really create complex sounds. The lack of pitch or mod wheels is a bit of a bummer for me and how I play at this point so I ended up selling my second one recently.

The Alesis Ion seems to go for around $350 on ebay and they sound fantastic for a VA and have some pretty amazing envelopes. I'm trying to pick one up locally right now actually.

There are also things that rarely pop up but have really great sound like the Crumar Stratus. It's a cool analog polysynth that goes for about $400. I was going to get the one that just recently ended on ebay, but Christmas kept that from happening:)

If you don't mind using a computer to edit patches, the CZ line of synths by Casio have a really wild sound and have these crazy 8 stage envelopes that allow you to create patches that make you forget there aren't knobs to tweak as the sounds can evolve in some interesting ways. I would run my cz-5000 that I got for a $100 through my mopho filters and THAT was really a killer combo. And actually I used the tabletop mopho with the cz via midi simultaneously to create some layered mono/poly sounds that had a very interesting tone and all for under $400.

I think in the end, you have to ask yourself what you need out of a synth, what sounds you'll want to be able to create. Picking up pieces used is key as you can typically resell for the same price if something doesn't gel.
soundcloud.com/lvoe