New here. Looking for a drum machine.

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Noon Perhaps

New here. Looking for a drum machine.

Post by Noon Perhaps » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:52 pm

Hello! I'm a long time user of Vintage Synth Explorer (have been since sophomore year of high school!) but funny enough I've never actually made an account or have ever used the forms here. So this is my frist time posting in general! I am currently 19 and a freshman in college and I'm looking to buy some equipment for my first setup. I've been saving up for perhaps three years now and I do have a little bit of cash to spend. So keeping it in my budget isn't entirely an issue.

I'm looking for a kitschy, tacky analog drum machine. In particular something like the Korg Mini Pops or Roland TR-66. I'm looking to have a soft, kitschy retro sound that I can blend with twee pop and indie. Like Kittycraft, Volume All*Star and Land of the Loops. I would like the drum machine to be fairy simple but It would be nice if I could program it a little bit more than simply waltz, samba and fox trot. Though the simpler the better.

Could I get any suggestions? Would be much appreciated!

edfunction
Gear: sh-101, monomachine, nordmodular, esx1, nova, jx3p, jx8p, prophet vs, dx200

Re: New here. Looking for a drum machine.

Post by edfunction » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:29 am

might be hard to find a cheap one one but i would definitely recommend a roland cr-8000. programmable as well as having volume controls for most sounds (very handy). the boss dr55 is also great but, less flexible and less sounds.
korg kr55 is also good. cr78 also good but this is bound to be costly.
sometimes analog beatboxes pop up at thrift shops for nothing, less than they used to. keep an eye out for anything that is big and wooden and says rhythm somewhere on it. chances are it could get you there....

Noon Perhaps

Post by Noon Perhaps » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:32 am

edfunction wrote:might be hard to find a cheap one one but i would definitely recommend a roland cr-8000. programmable as well as having volume controls for most sounds (very handy). the boss dr55 is also great but, less flexible and less sounds.
korg kr55 is also good. cr78 also good but this is bound to be costly.
sometimes analog beatboxes pop up at thrift shops for nothing, less than they used to. keep an eye out for anything that is big and wooden and says rhythm somewhere on it. chances are it could get you there....
Oh cool! Thanks for the quick reply by the way!

I'm liking the Roland cr-8000 suggestion you gave me. I see a few actually in the early to mid hundreds price range which actually isn't all that bad! Much appreciated!

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:55 am

If I were in your position I'd just get an SP-404SX and put loops of those drum machines into it. With machines like that with limited programmability there aren't really many advantages to having the real thing as opposed to having loops of them, and with a 404 you can have all of them in one box that you can do a whole lot of other stuff with too later on if you decide to.

Noon Perhaps

Post by Noon Perhaps » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:17 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:If I were in your position I'd just get an SP-404SX and put loops of those drum machines into it. With machines like that with limited programmability there aren't really many advantages to having the real thing as opposed to having loops of them, and with a 404 you can have all of them in one box that you can do a whole lot of other stuff with too later on if you decide to.
That's an excellent suggestion! One my my best friends went in on a SP-404SX for a few years and loved it! I think however he might have gotten rid of it this summer because I haven't seen it around when I record with him. Anyhow, it truly is an amazing piece of hardware and goes for an excellent price also. Though, truth be told I'm looking for something a bit more "vintage". However, that is a really good suggestion and I think I'm going to look into SP-404's again seeing as how my friend had some really good use out of it when he did have it!

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:34 am

Noon Perhaps wrote:Though, truth be told I'm looking for something a bit more "vintage".
Buy a 404 and then make a wooden box to put it in. Instant "vintage". ;)

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:19 am

I'd suggest you stop being such a f**k hipster. Where do you go to university? SWARTHMORE?! that's where I went anyway... :lol:

Ferrealz. Pick yourself up a DrumTraks & a 606. They're both vintage, but one isn't analog. They complement each other beautifully. 606 for the analog rhythm sounds, and the DrumTraks for meaty samples which you can tune over a thirteen step range.
Stab Frenzy wrote:
Noon Perhaps wrote:Though, truth be told I'm looking for something a bit more "vintage".
Buy a 404 and then make a wooden box to put it in. Instant "vintage". ;)
:D
bonne chance

noha

Post by noha » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:27 am

Spammity spam spam, I'm selling a nice Roland CR-8000 over in the Gear For Sale section. ;) :arrow:

It's a nice balance between easy preset rhythms and programmability, plus it's got that vintage Roland "near-808" sound quality.