Can't quite decide between Future Retro's...

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Post Reply
Noon Perhaps
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:40 pm

Can't quite decide between Future Retro's...

Post by Noon Perhaps » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:12 am

I do have a little bit of money to spend after saving up for a few years and I'm sort of tied between getting a FutureRetro 777 or a FutureRetro Revolution. Both seem very tempting and fitting for what I'm trying to make. Could I get some advice?

Also, a bit off topic. I'm also looking into trying to obtain a Moog Source. Would this be a wise decision? I've heard amazing things about it but also some bad things when it comes to how it's aged over the years.

User avatar
meatballfulton
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5772
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:29 pm
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Re: Can't quite decide between Future Retro's...

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:06 pm

The big advantage of the 777 over the Revolution is the expanded synth engine. If strict 303-style voicing is all you need, then buying the Revolution will save you a lot of money.

Another thing to consider is how intuitive the Revo's circular layout would be for you.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

User avatar
jeeroj
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 451
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:22 pm
Gear: sh-101, x0xb0x(x2), tr-606, korg es-1, half dead mc-303 and some boss micro racks

Re: Can't quite decide between Future Retro's...

Post by jeeroj » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:25 pm

if i had to choose one i'd go for the 777 if you can find it at a good price...

However i'm not a massive fan of the FR's sequencer - mainly because you have to scroll up or down through notes to select them. it takes the 'random' factor out of making acid lines for me.

I'd say unless the audio input is essential go for a x0xb0x.

what will you be using it for?
Debut Album out now jeeroj - Selected Acid Works 08-11
check the review HERE first

User avatar
sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 2413
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:57 am
Real name: Zayne
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora
Location: Paris / Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Can't quite decide between Future Retro's...

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:52 pm

The Source is quite a nice piece of kit. What are you looking to do though? Watch out for bad membrane buttons.
bonne chance

User avatar
silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 1247
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:21 am
Real name: Ms. Jackson
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer
Location: East.
Contact:

Re: Can't quite decide between Future Retro's...

Post by silikon » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:21 pm

I have both the 777 and the Revo Mk2 -- and while I do thoroughly enjoy both, I seem to favor the linear sequencer on the 777 as well as the expanded architecture (when comparing the two)... The Revo, IIRC is specifically 303-ish, while the 777 can go above and beyond that quite handily. If I had to choose between the two the 777 would stay. :)
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

User avatar
dustinh
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 283
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:57 pm
Gear: juno-1, ensoniq sq-80, dsi mopho, microbrute, gretsch guitars, motu 2408, monotron, and caffeine
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Can't quite decide between Future Retro's...

Post by dustinh » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:12 am

As far as the 777 goes, I've got nothing but good things to say about it. It's pretty good at traditional 303 sounds, but man can the thing get filthy sounding real quick! (and that's a good thing!) My friend has one and so I've played with it on several occasions.

I was actually quite happy with the sequencer but everyone has their own preferences. If you're a collector, the 777 is a special gem because they only made 678 of them.


http://future-retro.com/history.html Here are some fun facts about the 777 production run. My friend has the blue faced one, of which only 25 of them were ever made.

Noon Perhaps
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:40 pm

Re: Can't quite decide between Future Retro's...

Post by Noon Perhaps » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:39 am

jeeroj wrote:if i had to choose one i'd go for the 777 if you can find it at a good price...

However i'm not a massive fan of the FR's sequencer - mainly because you have to scroll up or down through notes to select them. it takes the 'random' factor out of making acid lines for me.

I'd say unless the audio input is essential go for a x0xb0x.

what will you be using it for?
I know this may sound a bit Cliché, but, I'm plan on trying to achieve some kind of retro 70's/80's, Boards of Canada sound. Perhaps even a bit kitschy seeing as how the drum machines I'm looking at are those vintage, Waltz, Samba and Foxtrot drum machines from the 60's, 70's and early 80's. My dream is to blend all of this nostalgic Boards of Canada sound with Lo-Fi, indie like Land of the Loops, Stereolab, Kitty Craft, Sukpatch and Volume All*Star did in the 90's.

I want at best to avoid a machine only capable of simple, Acid House jam sessions and knob twitting. Also want to avoid making generic, Band Camp, Chillwave (no offense to anyone!). Just not really my style anymore. A Moog would be nice but I really don't have that much money to spend at the moment. Though, if I did have the money I would be looking at something like a Moog Source.

Noon Perhaps
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:40 pm

Re: Can't quite decide between Future Retro's...

Post by Noon Perhaps » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:55 am

Thanks for all of the help by the way guys!

User avatar
GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Posts: 1547
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:10 am
Gear: YES PLEASE!
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Can't quite decide between Future Retro's...

Post by GuyaGuy » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:49 am

Noon Perhaps wrote:
I know this may sound a bit Cliché, but, I'm plan on trying to achieve some kind of retro 70's/80's, Boards of Canada sound. Perhaps even a bit kitschy seeing as how the drum machines I'm looking at are those vintage, Waltz, Samba and Foxtrot drum machines from the 60's, 70's and early 80's. My dream is to blend all of this nostalgic Boards of Canada sound with Lo-Fi, indie like Land of the Loops, Stereolab, Kitty Craft, Sukpatch and Volume All*Star did in the 90's.

I want at best to avoid a machine only capable of simple, Acid House jam sessions and knob twitting. Also want to avoid making generic, Band Camp, Chillwave (no offense to anyone!). Just not really my style anymore. A Moog would be nice but I really don't have that much money to spend at the moment. Though, if I did have the money I would be looking at something like a Moog Source.
In that case, you can avoid the Revolution. It's very much a TB-303 circuit with just one oscillator and few frills apart from the effects and interface. Great for acid jams but not for BoC/Stereolab tones.

Have you considered something like the Moog Little Phatty or Slim Phatty? Stereolab has been using the Phatty and BoC often go for Moog-type tones. Phattys are cheaper than the Source and easier to play with too.

Noon Perhaps
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:40 pm

Re: Can't quite decide between Future Retro's...

Post by Noon Perhaps » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:08 pm

GuyaGuy wrote:
Noon Perhaps wrote:
I know this may sound a bit Cliché, but, I'm plan on trying to achieve some kind of retro 70's/80's, Boards of Canada sound. Perhaps even a bit kitschy seeing as how the drum machines I'm looking at are those vintage, Waltz, Samba and Foxtrot drum machines from the 60's, 70's and early 80's. My dream is to blend all of this nostalgic Boards of Canada sound with Lo-Fi, indie like Land of the Loops, Stereolab, Kitty Craft, Sukpatch and Volume All*Star did in the 90's.

I want at best to avoid a machine only capable of simple, Acid House jam sessions and knob twitting. Also want to avoid making generic, Band Camp, Chillwave (no offense to anyone!). Just not really my style anymore. A Moog would be nice but I really don't have that much money to spend at the moment. Though, if I did have the money I would be looking at something like a Moog Source.
In that case, you can avoid the Revolution. It's very much a TB-303 circuit with just one oscillator and few frills apart from the effects and interface. Great for acid jams but not for BoC/Stereolab tones.

Have you considered something like the Moog Little Phatty or Slim Phatty? Stereolab has been using the Phatty and BoC often go for Moog-type tones. Phattys are cheaper than the Source and easier to play with too.

Well haha don't get me wrong! I LOVVEE the Tb-303 and even Acid House for the matter! Have been very much into both since Freshman year of high school. Though, I doubt I could successfully harvest that organic Acid sound into the music I'm trying to make. Luke Vibert has pulled it off a few times however.

Anyhow, you're most likely right. Both of the Moogs you have mentioned I was previously looking into getting for that BoC sound. Though, I didn't have the money and started looking for alternatives. However, the used price for a Moog Little Phatty isn't that high. Is it? and a Moog Slim Phatty looks like it punchs one h**l of a punch for a subtractive synthesizer. You honestly think this would be a better choice?

User avatar
GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Posts: 1547
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:10 am
Gear: YES PLEASE!
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Can't quite decide between Future Retro's...

Post by GuyaGuy » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:19 pm

Noon Perhaps wrote:
Well haha don't get me wrong! I LOVVEE the Tb-303 and even Acid House for the matter! Have been very much into both since Freshman year of high school. Though, I doubt I could successfully harvest that organic Acid sound into the music I'm trying to make. Luke Vibert has pulled it off a few times however.

Anyhow, you're most likely right. Both of the Moogs you have mentioned I was previously looking into getting for that BoC sound. Though, I didn't have the money and started looking for alternatives. However, the used price for a Moog Little Phatty isn't that high. Is it? and a Moog Slim Phatty looks like it punchs one h**l of a punch for a subtractive synthesizer. You honestly think this would be a better choice?
Over the Revolution, definitely. It is fairly plain Jane outside of the Acid sound. As for the 777, I can't say since I've not had one. It does have the sequencer, which would come in handy.

Prices for the Little Phatty Stage I in the US are about $750 and $650 for the Slim Phatty on eBay and Craigslist. Not sure what the 777 goes for but I'm assuming it's a hundred or so cheaper?

Maybe a 777 owner can come along to sing its praises...

User avatar
space6oy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5401
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:29 am
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.
Location: stuck in ohio.
Contact:

Re: Can't quite decide between Future Retro's...

Post by space6oy » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:53 am

+1 on having both, 777 & MS-20 would probably be the last two monophonics i'd led go.

i used to have two 777's, kind of regret letting one go. they usually go for $1250-1500, unless that's recently changed.

Post Reply