Synth to buy as an incentive to not buy synths

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Soundwave

Re: Synth to buy as an incentive to not buy synths

Post by Soundwave » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:34 pm

my NM G1 keeps me from buying almost any other digital synth and my TBX keeps me from buying most cheap monosynths plus stops me from putting TB303's on ebay watch

cryabetes
Gear: Electribe Army: EA-1mkII, ER-1mkII, EM-1, ESX-1
Band: Cody P & Sammy B

Post by cryabetes » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:10 pm

trevordutton wrote:OK, I'm surprised no one yet has suggesting getting a new girlfriend instead . . . : )
But seriously - I second the notion that the V Synth is one badass instrument. However it's more intended for VA and sound designing. I don't recall having come across a good acoustic piano patch on it. But don't take my word alone - that's just not what I use it for. Also, in order to do the ridiculous warping it can do with samples, it uses a proprietary format which to my ear doesn't sound as clear as standard formats when playing them back unaffected.
Another suggestion might be one of the newer monster workstations?
lol @ getting a different girlfriend.

From the patch listing, it looks like the pianos are pretty similar to what's on my Juno-D (to the point of being in the same order for about 15 of them), I think those'll work fine.

Also kind of absurd that you can't import samples, but I can work around that, I'm not too worried about it. The sampling looks less touchy than my SP202 so I think that'd work.

As far as monster workstations, .... iunno. I feel like limits help me think. The v-synth looks like it has limits but also a lot of options; the monster workstations, fantom Gs and Tritons and whatever the h**l else, they're too open ended. I'd say it's similar to sitting down to play a video game vs sitting down to make a video game with a developer's kit. Too much in those.

cryabetes
Gear: Electribe Army: EA-1mkII, ER-1mkII, EM-1, ESX-1
Band: Cody P & Sammy B

Post by cryabetes » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:03 pm

What do you guys think about the Virus TI? I realize not as much is available in the way of samples/sample mangling, but I'm not flipping the Juno-D or the ESX1 for this so would it be a good investment over the "synth" samples of the Juno-D (as opposed to the Kronos or V-synth)?

xparis001
Band: Platform One

Post by xparis001 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:11 pm

o man, this is how it starts. Get out now.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:56 pm

haha Virus, does ur girl know how much one of those is? :D

I'd definitely concur with V-Synth, absolute best back for your buck on the used market and an incredible instrument. I will say though having had one for 6 years now it does struggle at a believable piano sound, due mostly to the aliasing involved with not having multi keymapped samples. Yes, you can work around that by assigning zones etc but then the memory gets low. Which is probably my only criticism, more RAM!! :geek:

vcs3
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: BitOne,DX7II, M-1000, ESQm, Procussion, NanoSynth, VL1, P2500, K5000R, FS1r, JX-3P, Ju-60,HR-16, CZ1000, RX-5,K2600S, Nord G1r, G2, XL-7, Shuthri-1

Post by vcs3 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:09 pm

Nord Modular G2 (G2x if possible)

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Post by rhino » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:03 pm

First, if you don't have a full-time job that does not involve flipping burgers OR you are $50k in debt, then skip the rest of this post.

Get a nice cloisonne box to keep your balls in, and maybe a cute leather leash. You're whipped, boy.

On the other hand, six days without buying gear is not exactly a milestone. Do you have other buying compulsions?
Agree on a fair budget and stick to it. Image
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

BlackGnosis
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: See signature image.
Band: Eridani V

Post by BlackGnosis » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:42 am

cryabetes wrote:What do you guys think about the Virus TI? I realize not as much is available in the way of samples/sample mangling, but I'm not flipping the Juno-D or the ESX1 for this so would it be a good investment over the "synth" samples of the Juno-D (as opposed to the Kronos or V-synth)?
If I was forced to use one hardware synth with a laptop, it'd be a Access virus TI. And when she offers monies, Next gen TI3! if it ever comes out that is.

Why? It sounds good, and theres 90 billion patches out there for it, granted many are commercial, but its pretty strait forward as a synth, Using a laptop it can be supplemented rather well for live performance, The big thing that made the virus my favorite synth from the moment I heard it, were the fact it could literally replace a massive collection of Roland synths I couldnt possibly afford and get a sonically stable low maintenance (its a VA after all, just regular cleaning and battery replacement is all you'll really need to worry about.) I owned a snow and I love the sounds I could get from it, but It lacked a 'quick' interface, so definately invest in a 61 keyboard version of it or a desktop if you're looking to cut funds and weight down (Desktop + controller usually weighs a lot less then a keyboard, but being an former owner of an virus kc, I can vouch their keys are superb! They're a lot like fatar keys in terms of semiweighted keys.) For signal processing its pretty good as long as your sources are preamped, using the viruses internal preamp will cause performance issues if you're vocoding supposedly, any preamp should suffice you if all your doing is boosting volume. Lots of internal setup options its like a soft synth put into a hardware chassis. It sounds as good as you make it.

If your about to ask ti vs ti2, its only a upgrade in DSP processing, OS is the same, the chipsets in the ti2 are supposedly more stable, but ultimately if you try to use it as a signal processor or the vst, you're going to have to set your studio sample rate to 512 mb and learn to deal with latency and using the virus as a I/o instead of your preferred device.

I get around this by simply using midi controls on the virus and patch load manually by setting up multimode.

TL;DR: Yes, get it.
Ashe37 wrote:I find it funny that you're a guitar pedal snob and yet don't own a single analog synth.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:12 am

xparis001 wrote:o man, this is how it starts. Get out now.
Actually that was how it started back in January...

Rick N Boogie
Gear: MEK/Blofeld/Phatty/JP08/DrumBrute/ER1
Basses/synth fx galore
Band: no.one.won

Post by Rick N Boogie » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:11 pm

+1 for a new girlfriend. My wife doesn't blink if I buy new gear, so long as I pay for it instead of using a credit card. She actually bought my last synth, (Blofeld kb) for our anneversary this year.
Bassist, synth junkie

natrixgli
Gear: USB Hub, Pedalboard, Keyboard Stand, and many cables.
Band: Suboscillator

Post by natrixgli » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:02 pm

A good laptop, a good controller surface, a good sound card, some good VSTs and a good keyboard. That's what keeps me from buying hardware. I keep a good 1-2 hardware pieces lying around for inspiration and fun, but every time I get the urge to buy too much stuff I just think of all the variety I already have with VSTs.

But you need a good control surface to make it hands-on, and a good sound card to give you low latency.

My setup is nothing fancy, I have an ASUS laptop with Ableton Live, a crapload of free VSTs from KVR, a Korg NanoKontrol, a M-Audio Fast Track Ultra, and a keyboard to control it. (currently a Quasimidi Sirius and Korg R3)

Another thing that keeps me from buying hardware is my iPad :mrgreen: