Q about Virus A

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Q about Virus A

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:46 pm

A Virus A has shown up locally for cheap. I used to own a Snow TI, I loved the sound of but hated the programming interface. The A is obviously much older, lacks many features and polyphony of the Snow but has the knobs...so is it even worth looking at?

I already have a DSI Evolver desktop/rack 5-voice setup, too much overlap with the Virus?
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Rick N Boogie
Gear: MEK/Blofeld/Phatty/JP08/DrumBrute/ER1
Basses/synth fx galore
Band: no.one.won

Re: Q about Virus A

Post by Rick N Boogie » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:29 am

If you didn't like the menu-diving required of the TI, I doubt very much a Virus A would be much different. Just less of everything, but the same basic system, with the menu's.
Bassist, synth junkie

Angstwulf

Post by Angstwulf » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:47 pm

For knob v menu diving:

I'd say the tabletop Virus is better than the Snow: even with its menu diving it still has most oscillator/amp/filter controls on the front so for most patches you still have good live tweaking abilities.

Comparing the Virus to the desktop Evo it depends on the user. The Desktop is efficient and if you know the synth you can make patches faster than most any menu dependant synth. Didn't you once compare the Desktop favorably to a modular set up? But even with the menu diving I find the Virus interface to be more pleasant and relaxing to use if that makes any sense.

The downside compared to the Evolver for me is less the menu diving and more because you can't really program that thing without a keyboard. The internal sequencer on the Evolver is so useful.

For sounds:

You know the drill: Virus dark, DSI bright/brittle, blah blah blah... They do have their respective personalities which make a nice contrast.

The things that really distinguish the two for me are the Virus' multi-mode filters and arpeggiators make for some nice rhythmic textures that make the Virus very special (but are also responsible for all that trance that drive people crazy about the Virus). They are inspiring.

If you want to use it as a pad machine - 12 voices are better than the 5 in your setup but complex patches will eat those up pretty quickly. A B/C may be worth the extra coin.

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:35 pm

I'm going to pass on the Virus A for a few reasons, #1 is I have no real need for yet another synth. :mrgreen: I always get tempted by used gear bargains but doing due diligence usually saves my butt :ugeek:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Angstwulf

Post by Angstwulf » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:31 am

I know what you mean. I totally have to discipline myself and put everything away except for one instrument. Otherwise I am doing everything you can do with gear, buy/sell/tweak/polish, that doesn't involve actually playing the damned things.

But, you will need a keyboard Evolver one day. :twisted:

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:10 pm

Angstwulf wrote:But, you will need a keyboard Evolver one day. :twisted:
I almost did a cash-plus deal to swap my desktop Evo for an MEK about a month ago :mrgreen:

Rick N Boogie
Gear: MEK/Blofeld/Phatty/JP08/DrumBrute/ER1
Basses/synth fx galore
Band: no.one.won

Post by Rick N Boogie » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:09 am

Otherwise I am doing everything you can do with gear, buy/sell/tweak/polish, that doesn't involve actually playing the damned things.

Ain't that the truth.
Bassist, synth junkie

BlackGnosis
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: See signature image.
Band: Eridani V

Post by BlackGnosis » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:01 am

I love all access Virus models.
A is like a REALLY simplified virus. It still has a lot to offer despite its age and lack of features found in the snow.

Want an idea of what its capable of? Go buy VNV Nations Empires, That little red synth gave most of the albums ssounds, running a pair of samplers (I think they were a yamaha ex5 for samples and sequencing and a Ensoniq asr-10) for samples and drums (some which were sampled off the virus itself!) most of the songs are in 2-3 synth layers if I recall... But still. POWERFUL machine. <3
Ashe37 wrote:I find it funny that you're a guitar pedal snob and yet don't own a single analog synth.

xparis001
Band: Platform One

Post by xparis001 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:32 pm

BlackGnosis wrote:I love all access Virus models.
A is like a REALLY simplified virus. It still has a lot to offer despite its age and lack of features found in the snow.

Want an idea of what its capable of? Go buy VNV Nations Empires, That little red synth gave most of the albums ssounds, running a pair of samplers (I think they were a yamaha ex5 for samples and sequencing and a Ensoniq asr-10) for samples and drums (some which were sampled off the virus itself!) most of the songs are in 2-3 synth layers if I recall... But still. POWERFUL machine. <3
sONG GETS HEAVIER KNOB!!
i'M NOT AFRAID!!

Lol I <3 VNV. I also love my virus A. I've owned a B and a C, but I keep my A. It's just better for my tastes.

aND VICTORY!!