Best step sequencer for cv/gate analog mono synths

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
sonen

Best step sequencer for cv/gate analog mono synths

Post by sonen » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:21 am

I am looking for suggestions on a plugin that I can run inside of logic 9 pro to setup step sequences and send them out to my monosynths via midi (kenton pro). I am looking for something fun and immediate that wont take 30 min to setup but also has more features than a standard hardware sequencer.

Thanks

droolmaster0

Re: Best step sequencer for cv/gate analog mono synths

Post by droolmaster0 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:30 pm

Since you're on a mac, you might want to look into Numerology. You can now run it as a plugin.

It can get a bit complex - they probably have a demo that you can try out (I don't remember).

But it is an extremely flexible step sequencer that would be great for a monosynth.

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Post by silikon » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:36 pm

droolmaster0 wrote:Since you're on a mac, you might want to look into Numerology.
+1 for numerology. Deep.

Also of high repute is Audio Damage Tattoo...

Tattoo
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

sonen

Post by sonen » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:43 am

Thanks for your response! I wrote an email to a plugin support group asking the same question and they told me that the Logic 9 plugin environment only supports AU plugins which don't transmit midi. Is this true? I find it hard to believe that logic plugins cannot transmit midi data.

steveman

Post by steveman » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:06 am

Unbelievable but true... Guess the clue's in the name Audio Units. :roll: Can't recall any changes in the MIDI side of Logic since around v5.
There a step sequencers built in Logic's environment around on the web. Don't know if they're sophisticated enough, or build you're own if you've the patience.

Otherwise look for a way to run a VST in Logic to get around this, either a VST host, or if you've the free version of something like Ableton that could host VSTs, sync that to Logic. But it is a real pain.
Final way if you've using CV/gate is Expert Sleepers 'Silent Way' plugin. It's an AU that transmits CV using you're audio interface, but you will need a DC coupled interface for this to work.

Numerology does look interesting.

droolmaster0

Post by droolmaster0 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:16 am

I've never set it up in Logic, but there is a section in the manual about how to use the au plugin with logic. My guess is that you can download the manual.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:51 am

steveman wrote:Final way if you've using CV/gate is Expert Sleepers 'Silent Way' plugin. It's an AU that transmits CV using you're audio interface, but you will need a DC coupled interface for this to work.
I was going to suggest that. The cheapest way to get Silent Way running is probably with a second-hand Motu interface, you can pick them up pretty cheaply on ebay as there's thousands of them out there.

If you've got a modular system or are thinking about starting one then the ES-3 module takes an ADAT optical output and turns it into eight CV/Gate/Trigger outputs which is a really easy and handy way of getting Silent Way running.

sonen

Post by sonen » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:36 am

Silent Way looks incredible but a bit pricy for me at the moment. I downloaded a free trial of Numerology and plan to get it set up this weekend. Thanks for all of the great info!!