tired of playing the monophonic synthesizer

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
muhammed

tired of playing the monophonic synthesizer

Post by muhammed » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:02 pm

it is time to play polyphonic synthesizer insted of monophic but I am realy confused about polyphonic synthesizers
Duophonic is enough ?
which polyphonic synth should I buy.
I like my roland sh 101 sound ıt would be nice If my sh 101 has polyphonic
thanks in advance :)

edfunction
Gear: sh-101, monomachine, nordmodular, esx1, nova, jx3p, jx8p, prophet vs, dx200

Re: tired of playing the monophonic synthesizer

Post by edfunction » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:13 pm

take a look at the juno or jx series for a similar sound.
the jx3p has a very similar sequencer to the 101 which i find really useful...

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:34 pm

Juno 106? :)

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Post by phesago » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:54 pm

Is it nessecary that it be real analog?

muhammed

Post by muhammed » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:36 pm

phesago wrote:Is it nessecary that it be real analog?
yes it is
I dont know about jx series and dont think roland juno 106 what I am looking for but I am not sure :?:

edfunction
Gear: sh-101, monomachine, nordmodular, esx1, nova, jx3p, jx8p, prophet vs, dx200

Post by edfunction » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:47 pm

it's a while since i had a 106 but if you like the 101 it's architecture is very similar i wouldn't be able to say exactly about sound. i liked it though.
the jx3p and jx8p/jx10 are great synths that can be bought relatively cheaply. also look into the alpha juno series, they (and the jx's) are the current underrated roland analogs.
so, a list of reasonably priced analog polys from roland that you might want to scout reviews or demos of:

juno-106
juno 6/60
jx3p
jx8p
jx10
alpha juno 1 and 2

bouzoukijoe1

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:58 pm

I was just reading the subject of your thread and thinking ... I personally love monophonic synths. clean notes, no muddy overlaps. if it takes you a while to decide on a polysynth, I recommend spending more time developing complex interlayered arpeggios using the monosynth that you already have. you can really expand the breadth of capabilities of a single synth voice especially when you get into two octave arpeggios with modulation intermixed, with just a little bit of delay. when you get really into it, it's sometimes even hard to tell that you're only using one voice. and it's quite fun especially if you can compose custom patterns by hand and recording to a midi sequencer.

and to that, I would say that duophonic is definitely "enough". :)

cgren72

Post by cgren72 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:08 pm

duophonic is only two notes at a time, so is that enough? on my polysynths, i usually like 4 or 8. 4 is enough for a chord and a bass note. if thats the kind of thing you want? and have you ever used a digital synth or virtual analog? they really dont sound bad, eventhough alot of people act like they do. most "analog" synth acts probably have some digital

muhammed

Post by muhammed » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:42 pm

so I need at least 4 voice or more analog polysynth and dont like digital or virtual .I have used microkorg and virus before.
recording every single notes from mono synths to cubase is really pain for me .

Rick N Boogie
Gear: MEK/Blofeld/Phatty/JP08/DrumBrute/ER1
Basses/synth fx galore
Band: no.one.won

Post by Rick N Boogie » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:16 am

If *mostly* analog will do, a DSI Poly Evolver maybe. I love my little analog mono's, but chose a Virtual Analog for my polysynth. They're different, but they're still synthesizers, capable of alot more crazy motion and nutty sounds than the analog mono's are. I'd suggest broadening the search criterior to include ANY kind of polysynth- and listen to as many demo's as possible with your ears, not your preconceived idea's. You never know what might sound best to you.
Bassist, synth junkie

SSquirrel

Post by SSquirrel » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:38 pm

muhammed wrote:so I need at least 4 voice or more analog polysynth and dont like digital or virtual .I have used microkorg and virus before.
recording every single notes from mono synths to cubase is really pain for me .
JX-8P would solve your polyphony problems from the list someone posted above. I'm actually considering selling my 8P and programmer. I also have a Juno 106 that needs a bit of work (1 cap and 1 slider/cap combo missing, need to test and make sure all voices still sounding, its been unused for quite awhile) that I'm also thinking about. PM me if you're interested.

dustinh
Gear: juno-1, ensoniq sq-80, dsi mopho, microbrute, gretsch guitars, motu 2408, monotron, and caffeine

Post by dustinh » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:37 pm

If you don't mind using your computer for patch editing, perhaps you should look into the dave smith tetra? Lots of options there: 4 mono synths with separate outputs for each one for multitracking, 1 super thick mono synth in a 4 layer stack, or a polyphonic 4 voice analog synth. It's also compact and takes up very little space. I love the mopho and plan on upgrading to a tetra in the future.

muhammed

Post by muhammed » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:52 pm

I watch videos and listen sound demos everyday also friend of mine has mks 70 but I eliminated roland options.
mopho is nice toy but not for me