effects - mangler, bit crusher, etc.

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
bouzoukijoe1

effects - mangler, bit crusher, etc.

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:50 am

anyone have any recommendations for effects manglers or bit crushers that can sound musical, sort of on the affordable side? I'm pretty happy with my setup so I don't want to get any more full blown synths, so I'm curious what the best thing to get as far as desktop units, pedals, or modular. someone suggested a frequency shifter to get some Skrillex type sounds. I also saw a Squarewave Parade pedal video that sounded great too, but I think those are out of production and the euro module is still being developed. any thoughts?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: effects - mangler, bit crusher, etc.

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:12 am

bouzoukijoe1 wrote:anyone have any recommendations for effects manglers or bit crushers that can sound musical, sort of on the affordable side? I'm pretty happy with my setup so I don't want to get any more full blown synths, so I'm curious what the best thing to get as far as desktop units, pedals, or modular. someone suggested a frequency shifter to get some Skrillex type sounds. I also saw a Squarewave Parade pedal video that sounded great too, but I think those are out of production and the euro module is still being developed. any thoughts?
You realise Skrillex just uses software don't you? I think he does everything in Live, it comes with a bunch of effects.

cryabetes
Gear: Electribe Army: EA-1mkII, ER-1mkII, EM-1, ESX-1
Band: Cody P & Sammy B

Post by cryabetes » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:19 am

in b4 Boss VF1

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:21 am

The Korg KP-3 and Kaoss Pad Quad have a lot of fun effects like what you're looking for at afforable prices. I've seen KP-3s as low as $150 on eBay, but usually are around $200.

bouzoukijoe1

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:04 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
bouzoukijoe1 wrote:anyone have any recommendations for effects manglers or bit crushers that can sound musical, sort of on the affordable side? I'm pretty happy with my setup so I don't want to get any more full blown synths, so I'm curious what the best thing to get as far as desktop units, pedals, or modular. someone suggested a frequency shifter to get some Skrillex type sounds. I also saw a Squarewave Parade pedal video that sounded great too, but I think those are out of production and the euro module is still being developed. any thoughts?
You realise Skrillex just uses software don't you? I think he does everything in Live, it comes with a bunch of effects.
yes, but not really trying to be literally like him. anyway I heard he uses FM8 and Massive, and those I think have canned presets that contain things like frequency shifting, which I don't have in any of my gear. I only have things like ring mod, some distortion and bit reduction stuff on the Virus C, FM, but definitely no sample processing. I've read that newish modules like the E560 Deflector Shield might yield some interesting sounds, but I haven't really heard good musical demos of it. I kind of rather would like to just get a processor or two rather than switching to softsynths if I can avoid it. that's also so I don't sound exactly like him. haha

I'm kind of interested by what he (and others) are able to achieve musically using really agro sounds. I used to listen to Squarepusher and other glitch a few years back but I feel like it's on a whole new level now and I'm not sure why. anyway I'm starting to see a lot more new hardware being developed so I want to see what might be out there. the Squarewave pedals were a big suprise for example. also Virus TI came out with frequency shifting, but I already have the Virus C unfortunately.

@cryabetes: will look into the VF-1.

@Z: cool I didn't know the Kaoss pads could do agro arounds. I'll have to check that out too, thanks.

anyone ever try to use a Tiptop Z-DSP musically? doesn't do that

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:50 pm

+1 on the Boss VF-1. Great bit-crushing and sample-rate-reduction effects, plus tons of other standard and not-so-standard (e.g. voice transformer) effects with MIDI control options, in a nice compact half rack.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

condit79
Gear: 5U modular/STG/.com, Mopho, Sixtrak, Sprocket, xoxbox, juno 6, ESQ1, SY35, Ipad
Band: lvoe

Post by condit79 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:05 am

If you're into aggressive tones, you should look into a few things. First, get yourself an old school boss distortion pedal. I got an sd-1 for like 25 bucks and it rules for screaming leads, especially when I pair it with a moogerfooger ring mod and play with the mix to get some really great tones. Next, the moogerfooger FM pedal just really pushes your sound to an incredible place for what you're looking to do. A lot of the modern, harder dubstep sounds are made by modulating multiple values with each key push, so sometimes certain things are hard to replicate outside of software at times. The main thing is to keep the sound moving and find ways to use lfo's to control things that sync to the music in some way. That's why I'm a huge fan of the moogerfoogers. You could get a few, and send a cv signal to them that's synced to your DAW.
soundcloud.com/lvoe

bouzoukijoe1

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:17 am

man I really like the formant shifter this guy uses here in Massive. there must be some hardware that does that. in addition to LFOs he also throws in everything but the kitchen sink, including bit crushing and distortion.

also here from 2:20 on