Pro-One

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: Pro-One

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:03 am

Sir Ruff wrote:
phesago wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:There's no way I'd pay more for a Pro-One than the cost of a new Future Retro XS.
This. Though they are both awesome, the XS is new, still in production and takes up INF less space.
...but doesn't sound anywhere near as raw as the Pro-1. Yeah, the XS has way more features, blah blah, but in terms of pure analog sound, the pro-1 wins. Also, different filters. Horses for courses I guess.
I beg to differ. Sound quality, particularly 'rawness', is why I would go for the XS. The XS is a very burly sounding synth, it doesn't just do the acid stuff that the FR demos have.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:51 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:
phesago wrote:
This. Though they are both awesome, the XS is new, still in production and takes up INF less space.
...but doesn't sound anywhere near as raw as the Pro-1. Yeah, the XS has way more features, blah blah, but in terms of pure analog sound, the pro-1 wins. Also, different filters. Horses for courses I guess.
I beg to differ. Sound quality, particularly 'rawness', is why I would go for the XS. The XS is a very burly sounding synth, it doesn't just do the acid stuff that the FR demos have.
I found the XS had a sort of Roland plasticity to it... the oscillators were very refined and modern sounding to me. Very few synths that I have played can match the kind of balls out girth, especially in the low/mid-range, of the Pro-1 oscillators. The XS can get pretty wild once you add the overdrive, but that's not quite the same.
Do you even post on vse bro?

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:16 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:I found the XS had a sort of Roland plasticity to it... the oscillators were very refined and modern sounding to me. Very few synths that I have played can match the kind of balls out girth, especially in the low/mid-range, of the Pro-1 oscillators. The XS can get pretty wild once you add the overdrive, but that's not quite the same.
The XS is very good, but it sounds too distorted. The Pro-One has a fatter analog grit to it. A trademark sound, truly!
Last edited by iProg on Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

V301H
Gear: Fender The Strat, Stratocaster, Jazz Bass Rickenbacker 360-12, 320 Messenger(Mark Farner)
Band: The Characters

Post by V301H » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:58 pm

I paid $585 for a brand new one in 1981. When it came out it was a major price breakthrough as most dual-VCO MonoSynths cost well over $1000 at the time. Most Analogs currently sell for considerably less than their original selling price. In the case of the Pro-One, though they are not rare for some inexplicable reason current asking prices are far exceeding the original selling price.
Prophet 5 rev.2, Pro-One, Juno 60, Jupiter 6, Matrix 12, OB8, MS20, Poly 800, CS70M, DX-7, CP35, Casio PX-5S, Hammond C3/M102, Vox Continental/Super Continental, Gibson G101, Farfisa Compact, RMI 300A, Pianet N, Combo Pianet, S770, S760, S50, NS3C