Crazy Analogue on a budget

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Re: Crazy Analogue on a budget

Post by Z » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:25 pm

Although neither of these have lots of sliders or knobs, the Kawai K3 and Korg DW-8000 have great sounds and are very easy to program with just one data slider or dial. Plus, they're relatively inexpensive.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:35 pm

nogginj wrote:a pretty gnarly step sequencer similar to the ms2000
Many people talk about the "step sequencer" of the MS2000 when it really is a modulation sequencer. You can of course choose pitch as a mod target and then it works somewhat like a step sequencer.

Radias has a true step sequencer as well as the mod sequencer and that makes the diff between the two more apparent.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

bendragon
Gear: Novation Launchkey 49, Korg Monologue, Roland TR-8, Roland TB-03, VPROM 2.0, VSDSX, Behringer DeepMind 12

Post by bendragon » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:44 pm

nogginj wrote:ms2000 is great just cause so much is accessible right there - 4 voices might be a limiting factor though.

yamaha an1x sounds really awesome and has a pretty gnarly step sequencer similar to the ms2000. not as knobby but still easy enough to operate as most editing is a button press then knob turn. the modulation matrix is more complex on the yamaha too.

finally the alesis ion really does sound great.
4 voices is just fine for me. :)
This isn't going to be the pad/string machine (thats reserved for the ESQ1 and Poly61 respectively), its going to be the screaming man man in the front row at a meatloaf gig. Mono leads, two/three finger stabs and sequenced nonsense are what I'm looking for. Big chords with dirty synths sound muddy to me anyway.

How is the AN1X in comparison to the MS2000 in terms of tonality? Drastically different or just a few steps away?

I have been eyeballing an Ion. Cheap, complex, immediate, crazy and clean all in one... hmmmm.
computron wrote:As for the kawai sx240 my avatar pic and my favorite poly I own.though its like the polysix meets a Juno. Lush lush lush awesome filter but not as wld as a AX 80.It limted in the wild sounds department.pads can get pretty wild and 8 voices Porto and gliss can make some wild big sounds .its a Mega analog poly but limited in wild. Does every basic sound well a all around 8 voice monster
I do like the SX240, but I'm getting rid of a Juno and own a Poly61, so a synth that marries the two doesn't seem to fit the bill when, technically, one half of it is being sold off. :lol:

Whats the reliability of the AX80 like? Do the membrane buttons quickly become stiff or torn?
meatballfulton wrote:I didn't own an MS200 but did own the Radias. The main issue I have with the MS is it's only 4 voices (Radias is 24). Both models are nice, knobby machines that would complement the other gear you have.
Direct to the point answer. I like. Gold star, sir.
I have to admit, I was reading the manuals for the AX80, Blofeld and MS2000 on lunch break today. The blofeld can come off the list because it seems a bit cumbersome to use; its not very "pick up and play".
The MS2000 is looking better compared to the AX80 right now, purely because of the faults than can apparently develop with the AX80 (I heard the PCB under the membrane can die rather easily and you loose 32 buttons!) - the MS also appears to be far more user friendly than I was anticipating. Press that button, twist that pot, hey presto your synth just gave birth to Jesus Jr.
meatballfulton wrote:
nogginj wrote:a pretty gnarly step sequencer similar to the ms2000
Many people talk about the "step sequencer" of the MS2000 when it really is a modulation sequencer. You can of course choose pitch as a mod target and then it works somewhat like a step sequencer.

Radias has a true step sequencer as well as the mod sequencer and that makes the diff between the two more apparent.
That actually makes it a little better in my eyes. One thing I used to do a lot of when I was a synth-noob in FL5 was use a freeware filter VST with a built in 16 note step sequencer. Sounded fantastic with my CZ101 at the time - of course, that was only a filter.

computron
Band: Computron

Post by computron » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:57 pm

Yes the membrane buttons tend to fail more often the rip on the ax80.the one I had was redone. The ms2000 b. Is more hands on then the microkorg though the micro is not editor or programming unfriendly.where the Ms has the mod sequencer the micros arp is superior to the ms200s.
Living the Electro Life

bendragon
Gear: Novation Launchkey 49, Korg Monologue, Roland TR-8, Roland TB-03, VPROM 2.0, VSDSX, Behringer DeepMind 12

Post by bendragon » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:15 pm

computron wrote:Yes the membrane buttons tend to fail more often the rip on the ax80.the one I had was redone. The ms2000 b. Is more hands on then the microkorg though the micro is not editor or programming unfriendly.where the Ms has the mod sequencer the micros arp is superior to the ms200s.
I tried the MicroKorg in store once and I just wasn't impressed. Lacks loads of features and its built like a melting chocolate bar (the MK XL is like an already melted chocolate bar! Horrible, horrible scratchy plastic).

Arp I don't care about that much, I have MIDI and software sequencers - I have an Akai MKP Mini with a programmable arp on it anyway if I need on the fly arps. :)

If the AX80 breaks easily I think I'll give it a miss.
Last edited by bendragon on Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Plumpudding
Band: Dwarfland

Post by Plumpudding » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:38 pm

+1 for the blofeld. It is certainely crazy, with a good interface, and it fits the bill. The best buy I ever did, aside from an awesome bassguitar I once bought.
"Music is the space between the notes." - Jean Claude Van Damme

Instantinopel

Dark Side of My Mother - Slate Rock Up and Well Caustic Compound

computron
Band: Computron

Post by computron » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:44 pm

The micro korg only lacks the ms2000s mod seq and the MS onky lacks the micros arp.other wise same synth miuns a few knobs .boggles the mind one could like the others sound and not the other when its the same synth. The ms2000 is great try to get the b not a if you can and are going that route.To clarify when I compared the sx240 sound of the Juno and poly six.I don't think the poly61 sound is like the polysix .you would have to cut off my leg too sell the one I have.I sold one here last year.the ms2000 while I wouldn't call it crazy can make some good and useable sounds.it always makes it into my tracks quickly In my work flow while some other synths of mine sit
Living the Electro Life

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:12 pm

bendragon wrote: an unpredictable synth engine and filters with bags of character. Something that sounds as different as possible from the Roland gear I've owned over the years that all sounds so plastic and safe.
none of the old analog polys in this range can out-do your esq-1 in the crazy dept. so i'd forget going that route.

ms2000 is about as wild-and-crazy as it gets in cheap VA-land.
plenty of other VAs can do more modulation-wise, but lack the character and aplomb of the squirty funky ms can when doing just one wide-swinging modulation. still, it's not close to CRAZY...it just sounds better doing that sort of thing than other digitals.
OB-12 is trashy and weird-sounding so maybe that will give you some of the crazy you want but it's a looong way from any analog synth I've heard.

....but i truly digress.

crazy is not ms-2000, ion, sx-240, blofeld, junos, VA's etc....all are far too well-behaved and over-engineered to go there - h**l, they all automatically stay in tune. <<- that should be disqualifying right there, ffs
it may seem like i'm being a snob but you named the thread so.

you think THOSE synths are crazy?
you'll never know what your missing by just hugging the 'safe-synth' tree all the time, Jack!

crazy ANALOGUE on a budget is stuff like the mfos soundlab, bleeplabs thingamagoop, or any of mfb's plethora of patchable mini-synths... and in this price bracket the more you can DIY the more your possibilities increase exponentially. Or you can buy some of these things built already for you on Ebay and the like.
DIY is the by far the best way to go here because in the sub-$1000 analog market there is always a trade-off between features vs. control and refinement; nature of the beast.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

Cybercardinal
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Cybercardinal » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:19 am

bendragon wrote:I'll keep my eye out for a cheap as h**l XTK
It's possible...with some luck. I picked one up for ~430£ in mint condition. Patience..
And it's as wild and crazy as it gets. I love it. Don't fancy rack synths either.

nogginj

Post by nogginj » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:43 am

bendragon wrote:How is the AN1X in comparison to the MS2000 in terms of tonality? Drastically different or just a few steps away?
just a few steps away. the odd one out here is the ion which gets gnarly easily.

the ms and the an can too but the ion just tends to sound bigger, with more ease, i have found. the ms is more like a 'perfect' analog and the an1x is somewhere in between - a very 'clean' analog sound like the ms2k but also able to get into some pretty gritty territory.
the an1x sequencer works in much the same way as the one on the ms though it's a lot more cumbersome to program...you just cant beat the amount of knobs on the ms.

just banging away, i tend to get more 'classic' tones out of the ms, more weird tones out of the an1x, and the ion i dont have access too anymore - but i always got something BIG out of it.

yes the ms and micro share the same sound, but microkorgs are not as fun to program imo and the 'genre' wheel is totally useless...not to mention the keys are no fun if you aren't used to them.

bendragon

Post by bendragon » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:26 am

shaft9000 wrote: ....but i truly digress.
blah blah blah blah
"Electronic Musical Instrument employing Analogue (or approximation thereof) technology resulting in a musical but slightly offputting tonality to be had for inadequate funding".

Is that a better title, Mr f-ing Pedantic? :roll:

bendragon

Post by bendragon » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:31 am

nogginj wrote:
bendragon wrote:How is the AN1X in comparison to the MS2000 in terms of tonality? Drastically different or just a few steps away?
just a few steps away. the odd one out here is the ion which gets gnarly easily.

the ms and the an can too but the ion just tends to sound bigger, with more ease, i have found. the ms is more like a 'perfect' analog and the an1x is somewhere in between - a very 'clean' analog sound like the ms2k but also able to get into some pretty gritty territory.
the an1x sequencer works in much the same way as the one on the ms though it's a lot more cumbersome to program...you just cant beat the amount of knobs on the ms.

just banging away, i tend to get more 'classic' tones out of the ms, more weird tones out of the an1x, and the ion i dont have access too anymore - but i always got something BIG out of it.

yes the ms and micro share the same sound, but microkorgs are not as fun to program imo and the 'genre' wheel is totally useless...not to mention the keys are no fun if you aren't used to them.
If the AN1X is only a few steps away in terms of sound then the more immediate interface of the MS would be better IMO.
Point me towards some good ION demos on the net and I'll have a listen when I get home tonight.

edfunction
Gear: sh-101, monomachine, nordmodular, esx1, nova, jx3p, jx8p, prophet vs, dx200

Post by edfunction » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:43 pm

original nord modular would get you there and beyond!

bendragon

Post by bendragon » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:43 pm

edfunction wrote:original nord modular would get you there and beyond!
Has to be connected to an old Windows or PowerMac System. I have an Intel Mac running Lion and it is not supported.

Plus its worth way more than what I'm willing (and able) to spend.

edfunction
Gear: sh-101, monomachine, nordmodular, esx1, nova, jx3p, jx8p, prophet vs, dx200

Post by edfunction » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:00 pm

the editor does work in os-x with some quirks, but managable. there's also the nomad editor, not sure if that works in lion.

you can't find one for less than 500£ ? i see them pop up from time to time cheapish. guess it depends on location...