I need help man. Synth like in MGMT

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
jonajmi

I need help man. Synth like in MGMT

Post by jonajmi » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:39 pm

Im very new to synthesizers and I get carried away each time I look at a synthesizer. I am just looking for a synth that has the capablities to play songs from bands such as MGMT, Foster the People, Radiohead, etc. Im looking for a cheap synthesizer. $500 to $600 at the most. Some advice and assistance would be greatly appreciated

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: I need help man. Synth like in MGMT

Post by Altitude » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:54 pm

you get a good look at ben's rig. Namely a Moog LP and a Virus. Neither are anywhere close to $500 though ($1200 and $3K respectively)

jonajmi

Post by jonajmi » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:59 pm

Thanks for the video. i got a good look at it, do you have any advice on what synthesizer i can start with?

fh991586
Gear: Roland JX3P, D50, U220, MVS1, JP8080.
Korg Kaossilator, Monotrons, MicroKorg, M3R.
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines

Post by fh991586 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:08 pm

For a newbie with no prior knowledge, I would simply suggest a Microkorg. Cheap, portable and easy to find used (from 250$ to 300$). You can do a lot of damage with that!
Considering parting away from:
-Roland TR707
-DSI Mopho

jonajmi

Post by jonajmi » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:13 pm

Yea i was looking at that. I saw some videos and reviews. it looks great for what I'm trying to do, but i also saw the Korg Microstation for the same price. is there a better deal there or something?

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:50 pm

The Microstation is a scaled down workstation with mostly bread-and-butter sounds: piano, organ, strings, guitar, brass, drums, etc. I think the Microstation has some sound editing capabilities, but not like a true synthesizer.

For a beginner, I recommend a virtual analog synth with lots of knobs and or sliders. The MicroKorg has a few knobs, but its older brother MS-2000 (same sound engine) has knobs for every basic synthesis function.

Other great synths in your price range to start learning on include: Alesis Ion, Novation K Station, Roland Gaia & JP-8000.

While you're shopping around for a synth, be sure to check out these tutorial videos recently produced by Moog Music on Fundementals of synth programming. Here's Part one of four:
[youtube][/youtube]

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:49 am

+1 to what Z said. Most virtual analog synths can come close to many of those RH and MGMT sounds, which is good enough unless you're a cover band (UPPRMGMT?)

And yeah, to get those sounds you'll want to do some tweaking so knobs or sliders will be a big help.

EmptySet
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: MS20, x0xb0x, JV-1080, JX-3P, JX-8P(PG800), Juno Stage, VFX-SD, VL-1, ARP Omni I, D-50, DW6000

Post by EmptySet » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:55 am

I'll second the suggestion for an Alesis Ion. It has lots of knobs and it gives a beginner a very nice way to see visually how a subtractive synth is laid out. It's also no slouch (three oscillators, for example). And it has features that more experienced users love (matrix). So, you won't outgrow it either.

If you don't have the money for that, grab an Alesis Micron instead. It's the same synth, but without all the knobs. This stinks for beginners, but you can hook it up to a computer and use the virtual editor instead which does have the same knobs (albeit in virtual form).

The other VA suggestions are good too. I just like the Alesis machines because I've used them before to play MGMT covers. Very convincingly. The Yahoo groups for those synths might even have some MGMT patches if memory serves.

For Korgs, you also couldn't go wrong with an MS-2000.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:17 pm

The suggestions for used/discontinued synths are all good, but as a newbie shopping for used gear might be daunting. It will be easier to just buy the MicroKorg.

As far as the MicroStation I'll disagree with Z a bit, it is a real synthesizer, just a different type of synthesizer.

The MicroKorg is what is known as "virtual analog" (VA), a digital synthesizer that emulates an analog synthesizer.

The MicroStation is what is known as "sample plus synthesis" (S+S) often called a "ROMpler". It's still a "real" synthesizer but it's well suited for emulating other instruments...pianos, organs, guitars, woodwinds, brass, strings, etc. as well as typical synthesizer sounds. As a workstation it also includes a 16-track sequencer and 8 effects processors.

Listen to demos of both at Korg's website or at youTube and the difference should be immediately apparent.

For what you want to do, the MicroKorg is the better choice.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

cgren72

Post by cgren72 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:59 pm

everyone buys the microkorg at least once, you might as well buy it like meatballfulton said lol. but really its not a bad choice. its decent to program and has pretty good sounds. for the money, its the best choice. If you want a drum machine, which you probably will eventually, you should look into korgs electribes. look at the er-1 or es-1(sampler) for low cost. if you bought a microkorg, you would have money leftover for a drum machine and some other things that you might realize you want after you start playing. or you could buy a more expensive va like the ms-2000 or ion, and then save up for more things later.

I also suggest a used novation x station or maybe even xiosynth. I have owned neither, but both look good. with the x station, you can control a DAW, which you may decide to do in the future. we could point you towards a few free daws to try in the software section. you may want to make drums on the computer, so a daw would be helpful. my daw of choice is IL fl studio. it costs almost the same as a drum machine, and it can be used for so much more.

I dont know why i am talking about drums so much

vanpet
Gear: Mono Evolver | Juno-60 | Nord Lead 2X | DX7 | MicroKorg | Alpha Juno

Post by vanpet » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:14 pm

If it's for live performance, I'd rather suggest the Gaia: it has more on-board effects, better keyboard, and you can stack 3 sounds to make it sound bigger. Microkorg, is more difficult to program because it has less knobs.

The downside of the gaia is the raw sound: without the effects it can sound a bit crude, but if you're not making pristine studio records, it is not a problem at all. Live, nobody can hear the difference.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:14 pm

vanpet wrote:If it's for live performance, I'd rather suggest the Gaia: it has more on-board effects, better keyboard, and you can stack 3 sounds to make it sound bigger. Microkorg, is more difficult to program because it has less knobs.

The downside of the gaia is the raw sound: without the effects it can sound a bit crude, but if you're not making pristine studio records, it is not a problem at all. Live, nobody can hear the difference.
'stack three sounds'- three oscillators... a feature in several other synths. the shortcomings of the gaia outweigh its benefits

syntheticsolutions
Gear: Rhodes 78 Mk2, Jupiter 4, Juno 6, MS-10, CS-15, Opus 3, Machinedrum, RE-501, Roland Rack
Band: Lunar Modular

Post by syntheticsolutions » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:49 am

The Gaia is cool, great keyboard, intuitive user interface and good price range.
I appreciate it doesn't have the most lustful sound engine but its still a great looking and feeling synth.

I am shocked to see people promoting the microkorg on these forums! Come on VSE users, think about what you are saying, it has to be the most forsaken piece of c**p i have ever set my eyes on. The editing is tedious and stressful, admittedly it has quite a strong sound engine and can make some great sounds but getting them out of this cheap toy box is going to raise h**l :/
the keys are simply awful and personally i would never consider using them in the studio or on stage.
I know people use the excuse that it is cheap but h**l to that, there are so many other cheap synths you can get hold of in that price range that are much more desirable.
<BURN ALL MICROKORGS!!! :twisted: >

For your price range and the sound you are going for, i would suggest you check out the following...

Korg Micropreset
Korg MS2000
Roland Gaia
DSI Mopho
Yamaha CS-5
Moog Slim Phatty
Doepfer Dark Energy
Replicants are like any other machine, they're either a benefit or a hazard. If they're a benefit, its not my problem.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:40 pm

vanpet wrote: The downside of the gaia is the raw sound: without the effects it can sound a bit crude, but if you're not making pristine studio records, it is not a problem at all. Live, nobody can hear the difference.

holy h**l, has it really gotten this bad?
i to go to clubs, and favor playing certain venues, specifically because they have great sound systems.
you bet your a*s an aliasing VA is going to sound like metallic phasey crud next to a nice analog mono.

i feel kinda sad for those that haven't experienced the joy of your music played on a fantastic system.... the easiest way to descibe what i mean is: it sounds bigger without trying to be louder. it's impossible to convey without being there - but it is a rare treat i get to experience less and less over the last few years whenever i go out. i-pods have everyone accustomed to s**t sound.

so um, this notion of "progress"....yeah.

i'd suggest trying the new Arturia analog mono-synth or checking out a mopho keyboard.
or better yet
sure fire: save a couple hundred more and buy an ARP axxe and blow all those digitals and new analogs out the door with one little oscillator.
Christ, this is VSE, for f**k's sake. Roll like you got a pair. :)
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

vcs3
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: BitOne,DX7II, M-1000, ESQm, Procussion, NanoSynth, VL1, P2500, K5000R, FS1r, JX-3P, Ju-60,HR-16, CZ1000, RX-5,K2600S, Nord G1r, G2, XL-7, Shuthri-1

Post by vcs3 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:47 pm

Check the prices in my blog:
synthprices