Looking for a budget 'fragile' sounding synth

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
dannyfc

Re: Looking for a budget 'fragile' sounding synth

Post by dannyfc » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:14 pm

James Mandible wrote:
dannyfc wrote:]Still these Analog-Modeling ones still have some character of their own, and sound less clinical compared to some of the other digital ones.
Personally I've found it's the opposite as far as sounding clinical goes, my Miniak has a much colder sound than my TX81Z for example.
I've only learnt recently that the Miniak was effectively a rebranded Micron. I heard the Miniak demo'd at a synth shop and I agree with your assessment that it had a real cold, almost soft synth, sound. Yet, every audio I've heard of the Micron on YouTube seems a lot more colourful.....maybe it is mostly down to the programmer then?

red-noise
Gear: AX80
CS30
CZ1
DK600
DX7/E!
e4XT
EML101
JD800
Jupiter 6
JX8P
K5000S
MC202
MiniMoog
5U Modular
Nord Modular
Odyssey
Поливокс
Pro-One
Prophet 5
SQ80
Z1

Re: Looking for a budget 'fragile' sounding synth

Post by red-noise » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:22 am

Another vote for the SQ80.

You might also like the Kawai K4, but you'll have to roll up your sleeves because the presets are... you know.

Don't laugh, but I love the old CasioTones. Check out the 401, 403, CT6000, CT7000, and CT410v. Of these only the CT6000 is MIDI, but that's a GREAT piece of kit. The keyboard is a pleasure to play and has aftertouch. But these are more like organs than synths - they're not editable outside of some minimal tweakability on the CT410v.