Need a Dirty Sounding Poly VCO Synth.

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
dzlvs8
Gear: Tons and tons of ridiculously expensive keyboards.

Need a Dirty Sounding Poly VCO Synth.

Post by dzlvs8 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:56 am

I feel that I must first preface this by saying, I think 80's music is cheezy. I am not into prince music or anything else remotely 80's. I think playing Van Halen "Jump" on a synth is one of the gayest things you can do. I like dirty nasty sounding synths. I hate the sound of most DCO synths. They sound plastic-ie, have no character, and are too clean. I like a little spaced out stuff and some of the new sounds in electro music, but I don't make anything close to techno music. Basically I try to make 70's funk, jazz, and rock, with a little sun ra mixed in sometimes. So, with that....

I just unexpectedly got a Jupiter 6. Once in a while I find some awesome and unique sounds that it can make but its hard to justify keeping something so expensive that is so thin and 80's sounding to me. There are large sections of filter range that I find terrible sounding in the J6. I am trying to see what else there is out there that I can get instead of this J6. Its crazy that there are only a very select few synths made over time that are what I am looking for. Please suggest others.

Right now my polyphonic synths are:
Prophet 08
Yamaha CS50
Roland Jupiter 6

My favorite synth sounds poly or mono come from the Yamaha CS50, Arp Odyssey, micromoog, and minimoog (in that order, CS-50 being the best).

I like the J6 because it is different sounding from my other synths but I want something else. I want a dual vco synth that has a lot of flexibility and is dirty as h**l sounding (NO DCO). The only worthy things I can think of are below(and I've been thinking about this for a while):

These are the only non retarded sounding polyphonic synths I can think of:
Rhodes Chroma ( :( I'll never afford one)
Prophet 5 (not very flexible, dumb to have a p08 and a p5, Sound wise P5>P08 but I cant give up the power of my p08 :? )
Jupiter 8 (maybe?? I heard its fuller than the J6, still too much $$$)
Alesis Andromeda A6
Korg Polysix (I buy another one of these every month. But I'm looking for something that is dual vco)
Maybe an Ob-8 (but those do that gay van halen jump sound, kind of iffy on these.)

I don't know if I can ever justify purchasing any of those listed. They are frickin expensive. I'm hoping that the J6 may grow on me and I will keep it because it is fairly powerful (after the Europa mod). The thing is, I am instantly drawn to almost any sound from the synths that I love. I did not like the J6 when I first heard it, but it does sound different than anything else in my setup.

Its 2012, theres gotta be more awesome knobby vco polysynths that have been made in the past 40 or more years. Please suggest the best or a different synth. I have always struggled to find a good polysynth cuz they were all made in the 80's and most were DCO and most were extremely lame sounding ....for my music.

????

Anyone got a polyphonic micromoog?

Sir Nose
Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400

Re: Need a Dirty Sounding Poly VCO Synth.

Post by Sir Nose » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:17 am

I have heard Akai AX-60 or AX-80 forget which one, is the ploy synth of dirty delight. Hopefully, someone who has played both will chime in.
Both VCOs. the 80 has 2 VCOs per voice and the 60 has 1. The 80 is missing all the hands on controls of the 60 though.
Funkadelic wrote: nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty

dzlvs8

Post by dzlvs8 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:25 am

Sir Nose wrote:I have heard Akai AX-60 or AX-80 forget which one, is the ploy synth of dirty delight. Hopefully, someone who has played both will chime in.
Both VCOs. the 80 has 2 VCOs per voice and the 60 has 1. The 80 is missing all the hands on controls of the 60 though.
I know that synth but havent heard it. It seemed a lot like the Kawai SX-240. I didn't think the AX-80 was VCO?!?!. I may try the AX-80. I actually have the Kawai sx-240 right now. But I'm not keeping it so I didn't mention it. I was surprised at how easy I could modify sounds with its crappy one knob design. But in the end, the 240 is DCO and cheezy, although powerful enough to almost hide the cheeziness. The layering is an awesome feature for a vintage synth around $1000 .

I really would like something knoby. I'm a performance minded guy. I play live with a guitar looper. No midi and no sitting around building sounds for any longer than I have to. So, the more knobs the better.

EDIT: I just re-checked out the AX-80. It sounds a little dirty but the oscillators are so boingy? and clean 80's sounding that it cant be hidden.
Last edited by dzlvs8 on Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: A new German poly monster, an old BBC Brit, a vintage poly beast from NY, someone's older relative from NC, and Eurolicious patchables.

Post by Ned Bouhalassa » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:26 am

Clearly, with your ears, the only solution is for you to build your own synth.
My music: soundcloud
My analog synth videos nedonanalog
More about me: Mostly Human Music

dzlvs8

Post by dzlvs8 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:40 am

Ned Bouhalassa wrote:Clearly, with your ears, the only solution is for you to build your own synth.
That sucks. That's why I have been saying that there needs to be a polyphonic modular synthesizer company. It's a shame that every polyphonic analog synthesizer has to sound bland, cheezy, 80's-ish, and lack any character being lame 80's, except for just a few. Is there anyone out there stupid enough to trade me my Jupiter 6 for a Rhodes Chroma, Alesis A6, or P5? It doesn't even need to be working.

I'm hoping someone comes up with something. A while back when I was looking for my first polysynth, I went through something similar to this but new less about what I wanted. Someone introduced me to the Yamaha CS-50 and its the greatest. Now I'm looking for another.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:46 am

Ned Bouhalassa wrote:Clearly, with your ears, the only solution is for you to build your own synth.
Dear Yves Usson,

Please build me a dirty VCO poly synth that is incapable of playing gay Van Halen riffs.

Love,

dzlvs8

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:02 am

You are right the 80 has DCOs. Sorry. It is the 60 with a single VCO.

Also, your imagination is either very limited or you know little about being gay. To think playing Jump on a synth has anything to do with Man-to-man love. Being a man and giving another man head while playing jump on a synth, now that is starting to get a bit gay. It can get way gayer than that though. Get out once in a while.

dzlvs8

Post by dzlvs8 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:27 am

Sir Nose wrote:You are right the 80 has DCOs. Sorry. It is the 60 with a single VCO.

Also, your imagination is either very limited or you know little about being gay. To think playing Jump on a synth has anything to do with Man-to-man love. Being a man and giving another man head while playing jump on a synth, now that is starting to get a bit gay. It can get way gayer than that though. Get out once in a while.
You need to listen closely. The synth riff in Van Halens jump sounds exactly like a a weiner going into a... I probably should stop there before I get into trouble.

FYI - Sorry I have different tastes than you but I have to explain how i feel about certain sounds in music in order for people to understand what I like and like to steer far from.

I started listening to some Jupiter 8 vids (and I was doing some comparisons with my J6 and I was getting a lot of the same sounds. Well, close. But resonance just kills the "size" of the oscillators way too much on the J6. I wish I could try an Andromeda and see if I like it.

I don't know if you know thesynthfreq on youtube. I don't like her style of music but this video demonstrates some nice sounds. clean but with lots of character...at least in the begining.

Have you ever wanted to marry a chick only so you can play her Jupiter 8? Is that wrong?

TheKeytarist

Post by TheKeytarist » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:35 am

dzlvs8 wrote: That's why I have been saying that there needs to be a polyphonic modular synthesizer company.
Last I knew, tip top audio was working on a polyphonic modular range for the euro format. Then again, I have no experience with eurorack.

Just something I remembered seeing on muffwigglers a while ago.
"A learned blockhead is a greater blockhead than an ignorant one."
— Benjamin Franklin

:keys1: :drums: :keys2:

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:51 am

dzlvs8 wrote:
Sir Nose wrote:You are right the 80 has DCOs. Sorry. It is the 60 with a single VCO.

You need to listen closely. The synth riff in Van Halens jump sounds exactly like a a weiner going into a... I probably should stop there before I get into trouble.

FYI - Sorry I have different tastes than you but I have to explain how i feel about certain sounds in music in order for people to understand what I like and like to steer far from.
I don't have much love for Jump either. I just get a bit bent when folks throw "gay" around as a negative adjective.

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, DX7, TX7, Juno-106, AX60, Pro One, S1000, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:20 am

dzlvs8 wrote:I think playing Van Halen "Jump" on a synth is one of the gayest things you can do.
I completely agree.
dzlvs8 wrote:They sound plastic-ie, have no character, and are too clean.
I completely disagree.
soundcloud.com/vectron

Big Gnome
Gear: E-mu Proteus 2500
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Ensoniq VFX
SCI Prelude
Waldorf Blofeld
Band: The Nondescript

Post by Big Gnome » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:08 am

Jesus, grow up. :roll:
"Sure that's fine in practice, but what about in theory?"
Some of my c**p

V301H
Gear: Fender The Strat, Stratocaster, Jazz Bass Rickenbacker 360-12, 320 Messenger(Mark Farner)
Band: The Characters

Post by V301H » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:37 am

Since the CS50 has the type of sound you prefer and you don't like 80's Synths your range of choices is somewhat limited and unfortunately likely to be very expensive. A CS80 would be the obvious best match based on the description of your preferences. A CS60 is another option though you wouldn't gain a lot over the CS50.

An SEM-based Oberheim 4 or 8-Voice may be to your liking. Also the OBX would be worth considering as it is superior in sound quality to the OB-Xa and OB8.

Since you like Moogs the Memorymoog is another possibility and offers the rare advantage of a poly with three VCO's per voice.

The Prophet 5 really does sound dirtier and different enough from the DCO-based 08 to justify owning both. Even the Prophet 600 sounds different enough but has less flexibility than the P5.

Beware that the Chroma while a fine very complex Synth has a one-parameter-at-a-time Data-entry user-interface. Aside from that it could be very expensive. For somewhat less money you could get an Oberheim Xpander. This would give you Modular complexity in a multi-timbral VCO Synth with a more user-friendly programming interface.

Since you already have a Jupiter 6 and presumably didn't pay a lot for it you might as well spend some more time exploring it before you write it off. I know it's not considered to be a fat-sounding Synth but it is much deeper than may be immediately apparent. The JP6 is unusual in that it is a bright-sounding Synth and I think some people tend to equate this with thin-sounding. I run mine through a good sound system and I find it's low-end to be plenty adequate if not in the Moog or Oberheim league. I've had my Jupiter 6 since 1983 and it still amazes me to this day even in comparison to the other instruments I have. It might take more than a week or two to really find out what it can do.
Last edited by V301H on Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prophet 5 rev.2, Pro-One, Juno 60, Jupiter 6, Matrix 12, OB8, MS20, Poly 800, CS70M, DX-7, CP35, Casio PX-5S, Hammond C3/M102, Vox Continental/Super Continental, Gibson G101, Farfisa Compact, RMI 300A, Pianet N, Combo Pianet, S770, S760, S50, NS3C

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:07 pm

Alex E wrote:
dzlvs8 wrote:I think playing Van Halen "Jump" on a synth is one of the gayest things you can do.
I completely agree.
What about sucking on a guy's d**k, more gay or less?

Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: A new German poly monster, an old BBC Brit, a vintage poly beast from NY, someone's older relative from NC, and Eurolicious patchables.

Post by Ned Bouhalassa » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:37 pm

Dziv, using the word gay instead of bad, poor, suck-y... incredibly stupid, outrageously dated or just cruel?

Or maybe you're just proud of being dumber than a dingleberry?

Oh, and people who use really large, bold characters in posts usually have really small... knobs.
Last edited by Ned Bouhalassa on Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My music: soundcloud
My analog synth videos nedonanalog
More about me: Mostly Human Music