Need a Dirty Sounding Poly VCO Synth.

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
cgren72

Re: Need a Dirty Sounding Poly VCO Synth.

Post by cgren72 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:42 pm

dzlvs08, maybe you should sample a dog barking and run it through a fuzzbox. but make sure the fuzzbox is analog.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:43 pm

mm, yeah calling something "gay" like that totally shows a high school age maturity, and since we're now in 2012 would people just finally shut the f**k up about "jump" already, f**k sake... :roll:

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Synths 'n' stuff.
Band: Klangzeit

Post by Psy_Free » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:15 pm

If you can overcome your mystifying prejudice against DCOs you will find that much dirtiness can be accomplished with a DCO based synth & a good selection of outboard effects.

Also, take a chill pill, your heart will thank you for it ;)
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:18 pm

The dirtiest, grittiest, more stomach-buggling dual VCO polysynth you will find is without a doubt the Oberheim OB-X.

V301H
Gear: Fender The Strat, Stratocaster, Jazz Bass Rickenbacker 360-12, 320 Messenger(Mark Farner)
Band: The Characters

Post by V301H » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:23 pm

[/quote]Have you ever wanted to marry a chick only so you can play her Jupiter 8? Is that wrong?
[/quote]

You would like to marry a Lesbian just to play her Jupiter 8? I would really try one out first before making that kind of commitment.
Prophet 5 rev.2, Pro-One, Juno 60, Jupiter 6, Matrix 12, OB8, MS20, Poly 800, CS70M, DX-7, CP35, Casio PX-5S, Hammond C3/M102, Vox Continental/Super Continental, Gibson G101, Farfisa Compact, RMI 300A, Pianet N, Combo Pianet, S770, S760, S50, NS3C

Re-Member
Gear: Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, JP-8000, MC-505, CZ-101, DX100, DX11, R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, Volca Series, Minilogue, Moog Theremin

Post by Re-Member » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:28 pm

Also, saying 80's music is cheesy doesn't help much either. 80's is a decade, not a genre. The generalization that 80's music is cheesy is like saying Metallica's "Kill Them All", New Kids on the Block's "Hangin' Tough" and Vangelis' soundtrack to "Blade Runner" are somehow all part of the same category.

A synthesizer is just an instrument. All those synths riffs on "Jump" could easily be replaced by a crunchy guitar and guess what? It would still sound corny. Prince never had a magical synthesizer where he could load up a sound and out came a hit song.

Funk, jazz and improv noodling groove type music sounds cheesy to me, but I certainly don't blame the instruments for it, I blame the musicians.

dustinh
Gear: juno-1, ensoniq sq-80, dsi mopho, microbrute, gretsch guitars, motu 2408, monotron, and caffeine

Post by dustinh » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:36 pm

I can only think of a few choice examples of a synth that sounds "dirty" and one that sounds "clean". So much of this depends on how you program your synth, and how you even define dirty. Some synths are better than others at dirty (the SQ80 comes to mind for me, even though it's technically a hybrid synth not analog), while others are better at clean (the junos).

That said, one synth that I used to own that I kinda miss is the Sequential Circuits Six Trak. It was a quite a fun little synth with drifty VCOs. The prices on them seem to flucuate a lot. I bought mine for 300 only to see them jump to 600 USD only a short while later. Not sure what the market value is now, haven't checked in a while.

Dr. Phibes

Post by Dr. Phibes » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:55 pm

GuyaGuy wrote:
Dear Yves Usson,

Please build me a dirty VCO poly synth that is incapable of playing gay Van Halen riffs.

Love,

dzlvs8
"Using our unique, proprietary system the synth constantly scans the keyboard to detect any instances of the 'Jump' riff being played, upon which it will immediately shut down and send a mild electric shock through the operator."

orlando56
Gear: Prophet 600, MiniKorg 700, Juno 106, Polysix, Little Phatty II SE, Poly 800, MS20 Mini, Behringer D, KARP Odyssey
Band: Squirrel Damage

Post by orlando56 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:30 pm

It's always fun when someone starts a thread with an aggressive discourse on what they hate. You just know it's going to be a fruitful discussion.

SSquirrel

Post by SSquirrel » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:31 am

Rather than have people debate what is or is not gay in the thread, just hit these lyrics. King Missile already covered this :)

http://www.lyricsmania.com/gay_not_gay_ ... ssile.html

fzp52j

Post by fzp52j » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:39 am

orlando56 wrote:It's always fun when someone starts a thread with an aggressive discourse on what they hate. You just know it's going to be a fruitful discussion.
I think the aggressive tone came out naturally because of his very passionate dislike for 80's. lol It seems that he is HIGHLY opinionated and his opinions are the opposite of many synth lovers. I like the lack of fear in his opinions. I hate jump too. But you have to expect people to get their panties in a bunch and lash out.

FYI - AX-80 has that plastic sheen too it. The synth has a dirty quality to it's sound but it still has that DCO sheen that totally kills the alive and full of character "dirty synth" sound. ....and I'm not just talking about VCO drift. I'm stumped on suggestions. Try an Oberheim, since that's something you dont already have. It's one of the few possibilities for another dirty polysyth like you are looking for.

8bit9bot
No Longer Registered

Post by 8bit9bot » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:55 am

get a oberheim 2, 4, or 8 voice - or get the new SEM modules and link them together - or try a revision 1 or 2 prophet - heck if you really want dirty... play your synths thru a barely working tube amp and record onto a barely working 4-track tape recorder... heck, use an answering machine

also, its not clear if you guys are making fun of "the synth freq" but i hope you aren't - if you really want to play a jupiter-8, why dont you visit one of the stores, techs, or studios that have one? i'm sure you can track it down

if the moderators are going to let "retarded" and "gay" fly then surely they should let my this fly too: try using appropriate adjectives next time - oh btw a polyphonic moog = memory moog - good luck maintaining that one, bucko

red-noise
Gear: AX80
CS30
CZ1
DK600
DX7/E!
e4XT
EML101
JD800
Jupiter 6
JX8P
K5000S
MC202
MiniMoog
5U Modular
Nord Modular
Odyssey
Поливокс
Pro-One
Prophet 5
SQ80
Z1

Post by red-noise » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:14 am

SixTrak? DK600? AX80 is smooth and heavenly, I love it but that's not what you want. What you want is probably a polyphonic Polivocs. If you had several of them, retrofitted with cv-gate inputs, and an Encore Expressionist to round robin your master keyboard between them for polyphony, you would probably have what you want sound-wise at just under the cost of a CS80 ;-)

Are you really opposed to digital? When I think "dirty sounding", I think about early digital synths, not VCO's. Did you check out the brown DX7 (mk1)? Yeah, no knobs, I know...

But assuming you want analogue, probably the easiest thing to do would be to invest in a preamp or distortion pedal. Try to add some filth to what you already have. Some of the JoeMeeks get a nice dirty sound imho. Get one of those little Pignose amps. Check out the old RealTube pedals, or the Satchurator. Try pushing your output through a phono preamp. I used to monitor through a 4-head cassette recorder with the input goosed to get a really saturated signal.

c-level
Gear: Juno106, JX10, JX8P, JX3P, MKS50, SY22, SH201, Micromoog, CP 251, Korg Legacy, Triton Rack, Ableton 9, APC40, Max/MSP, Focusrite Pro40, Jazz Bass.
Band: C-Level

Post by c-level » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:53 pm

jx3p has quite a nasty sync. 8p just sounds nasty if you turn the VCA up enough....

SWAN

Post by SWAN » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:21 am

you could run your P08 through a Culture Vulture...or some kind of old Pre amp etc...or another synth