Need a Dirty Sounding Poly VCO Synth.

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Re: Need a Dirty Sounding Poly VCO Synth.

Post by th0mas » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:31 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Alex E wrote:
dzlvs8 wrote:I think playing Van Halen "Jump" on a synth is one of the gayest things you can do.
I completely agree.
What about sucking on a guy's d**k, more gay or less?
I think what they're saying is it's not dirty enough for 'em. They want it dirtier.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:24 pm

Used to own a Jupiter 8, wouldn't recommend it for dirty. Seems to do sweet and natural much better, although with the filter open some of the upper harmonics did have a bit of grit.

The thing no one ever seems to point out is that with polyphonic, it's all fine and good getting "huge" or "fat" when you're just playing, but recording into a mix is a different story. You'll run out of headroom very quickly without thinning it out or compressing the life out of it.

I agree with the comment earlier about the JP6. Maybe it thins out with resonance and has some heavy-handed midrange, but the modulation possibilities make it a deep and fun synth to make noises on.

If you are using polyphonic synths just to make big brassy chords with the filter wide open and no vibrato, you're missing most of its usefulness anyhow. You could start by using oscillator sync, crossmod or even just setting the oscillators 2 or more octaves apart or one down a fifth. Only the really drifty VCO's are notably interesting when played together at the same octave. It's also helpful to drive the filter input if you want that dirt. You'd never get the latter from a JP8, I am certain.
Last edited by Solderman on Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

walkathon
Gear: LionTamer 3.1

Post by walkathon » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:04 pm

Been mentioned already on page one, but forget the AX80 as previously mentioned .. an AX60 truly might be what you want. There's something strangely rough and tumble about 'em.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:08 pm

Ever heard of effects?
Cheap polysynth like a Crumar stratus through some nice guitar pedals?

Well, that's what I do.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:40 pm

dzlvs8 wrote:The synth riff in Van Halens jump sounds exactly like a a weiner going into a...
Really? How do you know? :lol:

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Post by phesago » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:05 pm

madtheory wrote:
dzlvs8 wrote:The synth riff in Van Halens jump sounds exactly like a a weiner going into a...
Really? How do you know? :lol:
Hey, he may just I fact be an authority on The issue! :lol:

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:57 pm

Wasn't this dumbass banned ages ago? Why are are still on this thread?
Do you even post on vse bro?

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Post by rhino » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:54 pm

This reply has been used before - maybe by me.

Why don't they build pre-set synths with the patch buttons labled with the title of the song that used that sound.
That may satisfy these morons who post: "What synth will give that (insert player or tune here) sound?"
Sheesh. Nobody says "I want to buy a car that will drive to Ohio." Or: "I want a TV that will show "Honey Boo-boo".

YOU'RE missing the whole point of playing a synthesizer. You use the controls to MAKE it sound like you want.
Of course, if the basics of sound creation are beyond your mental ability, this may require SOME LEARNIN'.
Maybe even RTFM.
Stupid to waste the near-infinite tonal palett replicating some schlock-y riff from the past.

Could not find this cartoon - thought it was "Farside". Seems to sum up this OP.

Dorky kid sitting at a desk with book:
"Unable to find a yellow highlighter, Daryl used a black marker to cross out the parts he did NOT want to memorize."
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:34 am

Sir Ruff wrote:Wasn't this dumbass banned ages ago? Why are are still on this thread?
+1000. The OP was banned in another "incident" IIRC. Just let the stupid thread die already!

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:34 pm

I know I'm late to the party here...but am I the only one who noticed that the OP extolled the virtues (power) of his Prophet '08 as one of his Polys? Pretty sure that's a DCO synth....

I'm a little miffed by that post anyway...I've found that the mid 80s DCO based boards sound dirty in general compared to much smoother sounding VCO synths from the late 70s. It's not hard to make something dirty with any number of early to mid 80s DCO synths, even without effects. Examples...Korg Poly 800, Ensoniq ESQ-1/SQ-80 (not much diff b/t DCO and wavetable with those, IMHO), Akai AX 73, AX 60, AX 80, etc.

It may only be because the technology wasn't as fully developed, rather than because it's DCO per se, but I've found these synths to have a particularly dirty sound. It might be that the filters got skimped on too.

Not sure where he was coming from on that one...maybe a teen with too much time or money?
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:04 am

pflosi wrote:Just let the stupid thread die already!