MIDI/Hardware Advice for a Software Guy

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
GoodwillFalcon
Gear: MG-1, Monotribe(Altitude MIDI), Casio MT-100, Casio VL-1, Axiom25, Yamaha RX21.
Band: Goodwill Falcon

MIDI/Hardware Advice for a Software Guy

Post by GoodwillFalcon » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:34 pm

Hey there, I have been browsing the forums a lot lately and just bought my first hardware synth (MG-1) from the marketplace, so I finally decided to join the community.

I am transferring my songwriting/live synth life over to hardware in search of a fresh, more organic and intimate writing/performing experience.

My question is about MIDI sequencers.

I play music in a fairly typical pop format, and ideally I would like to be able to have a midi sequencer that could trigger my midi monotribe to play a whole song of bass/whatever autonomously, but if I choose, I'd like to be able to control the progression of the part.

For example if I wanted to draw out and intro, or extend a jam section. Something that can trigger different patterns at the press of a button.

Forgive my ignorance, but I have never used a hardware midi sequencer and I'm really not so clear on how they work.

Is it fairly easy to build a sequence in a live setting?

Anyhow, I know this will be different depending on the gear, but maybe you could make some suggestions?

Thanks!

(ps, I know none of this would be compatible with my MG-1 ;)

GoodwillFalcon
Gear: MG-1, Monotribe(Altitude MIDI), Casio MT-100, Casio VL-1, Axiom25, Yamaha RX21.

Re: MIDI/Hardware Advice for a Software Guy

Post by GoodwillFalcon » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:40 pm

Also...I am still considering the practicality/familiarity of triggering midi from Logic on my laptop...but I would just enjoy the limitation/freedom of staying away from the computer.

condit79
Gear: 5U modular/STG/.com, Mopho, Sixtrak, Sprocket, xoxbox, juno 6, ESQ1, SY35, Ipad
Band: lvoe

Post by condit79 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:35 am

Most midi sequencers do just that. I have a cheap ea-1 electribe that I use for midi sequencing but there are other things that have great sequencers, like the monomachine and in fact that's what I would recommend for you if you want to have synth sounds with a bit of a groove box as well, sans drums, but there are other pieces of midi hardware that will do what you're talking about.

http://www.analoguehaven.com/mfb/step64/

this is supposed to be nice according to my friend who uses one and said that for the price it really kills and has midi AND cv so you could theoretically use it with your mg-1 as well.
soundcloud.com/lvoe

GoodwillFalcon

Post by GoodwillFalcon » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:11 pm

Very cool, I think that MFB sequencer would be perfect...just out of my price range right now. Seems like a lot of people like the Kawai Q80...not sure if that would serve my purpose well or not...

NovationLover
Gear: Novation KS Rack, Yamaha RM1x, Behringer UBB1002, Cubase 4.
Band: Dj Uber

Post by NovationLover » Sat May 12, 2012 6:05 pm

I have a Yamaha RM1x and it seems to be the perfect choice for you!! It can hold up to 16 sections (Intro, break, outro, ecc..) per pattern! If you want to do things manually you can trigger the sections at the press of a button or, if you want, there is also a pattern-chain mode so you have not to worry about the buildup of the song ;)

Hope it helps, Giacomo. :)
TECHNO-TRANCE-GOA FROM ITALY

- Novation KS Rack
- Yamaha RM1x
- Berry UBB1002
- Cubase 4
:D
My Soundcloud

adekoyote
Gear: YAMAHA PSR460, ROLAND MC808, EDIROL, APC20, Emu Proteus 2500 and Yamaha RS7000, Yamaha Su700, Roland VP9000, Yamaha AW4416, Desktop Evolver
Band: The Ghostz of More

Post by adekoyote » Sun May 13, 2012 1:43 am

I am among the fortunate. I was able to acquire my rs7000 from this forum. It is just so awesome. Not a day goes by where I don't tinker with it. I have it routed to my MC808 and my software synths in ableton...particularly DIVA. It makes me isolate so much. Absolutely no need to go out and see friends nor family.

that being said, each sequencer has its ups and downs. For instance, even though the RS7K has an amazing sequencer...it craps out at 64 voices and has a shite arpeggiator....and even though the MC808 has a s**t sequencer...it has an amazing arpeggiator and chord memory, and when you sample into the mc808 it is instantaneous (whereas with the yamaha samplers you have to wait.)...along with great quantization functions that the yamaha can't touch....but then...the rs7000 has the realtime remix...and the effects routing is far superior.

I would suggest that you really study this site. It is a goldmine of information.