8+ Voice, Dual VCO/DCO, and Layering Capabilities

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Re: 8+ Voice, Dual VCO/DCO, and Layering Capabilities

Post by GuyaGuy » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:10 pm

fzp52j wrote:
GuyaGuy wrote:Poly Evolver KB + Poly Evolver rack :?
There are only four voices worth of analog oscillators on the PEK.
But you can polychain the KB and rack for 8 voices. Expensive option but I was just throwing it out there.

xparis001
Band: Platform One

Post by xparis001 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:41 pm

The andromeda can sound less buzzy if you keep the pre filter and post filter mixes down below 50 or so. there are all sorts of tricks to coaxing different sounds on it. I find most youtube vid demos of the A6 tend to lack subtlety and go for the "OMG TURN EVERYTHING UP AND TURN THE CUTOFF!" type.

this is one of the better A6 demos I've heard. CoolColJ is the Andromeda master, in my humble opinion.

plus321

Post by plus321 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:45 pm

phesago wrote:
plus321 wrote:Xpanders are 6 voices and they can layer some combination of the 6; like 3 and 3 or 2 and 4 etc. I think the interface on the xpander is pretty good actually. It's nice and clean and practically everything is 2 button presses away with a button for each module. I think the xpander can make a good bass sound, despite what other people say, but it won't snap like a pro-one, but I've never heard a poly synth that could.

Agreed. To further the point, I think only people who have never touched an xpander would say the interface is terrible. It's not 1 knob per function, but honestly, depending on the synth, I wouldnt always want 1 knob per function. I like the bass sounds I have gotten from the Xpander. The hidden preset is great for that honestly. I also prefer the noise generator on it when compared to most synth's noise generators. Layering is super simple on it as well. You can even edit your layered sounds as well, while playing that is. However, you cant save in edited presets in multimode though.
What is "the hidden preset?"

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Post by phesago » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:52 pm

plus321 wrote:
phesago wrote:
plus321 wrote:Xpanders are 6 voices and they can layer some combination of the 6; like 3 and 3 or 2 and 4 etc. I think the interface on the xpander is pretty good actually. It's nice and clean and practically everything is 2 button presses away with a button for each module. I think the xpander can make a good bass sound, despite what other people say, but it won't snap like a pro-one, but I've never heard a poly synth that could.

Agreed. To further the point, I think only people who have never touched an xpander would say the interface is terrible. It's not 1 knob per function, but honestly, depending on the synth, I wouldnt always want 1 knob per function. I like the bass sounds I have gotten from the Xpander. The hidden preset is great for that honestly. I also prefer the noise generator on it when compared to most synth's noise generators. Layering is super simple on it as well. You can even edit your layered sounds as well, while playing that is. However, you cant save in edited presets in multimode though.
What is "the hidden preset?"
Press and hold store, then press clear. Brings up a patch called "oberheim." Its a default patch in memory that cant be overwritten. It's signal path(modulations routes) are like a generic subtractive synth, OSC>FILTER+ADSR>AMP+ADSR.

Personally, I think they shouldve left most of the shitty presets off of it and just gave 100 of these. The rumor that the Xpander can sound weak most likely comes form the shitty presets. With the right amount of twiddling and programming, you can have one serious monsterous sounding beast.

fzp52j

Post by fzp52j » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:44 am

xparis001 wrote:The andromeda can sound less buzzy if you keep the pre filter and post filter mixes down below 50 or so. there are all sorts of tricks to coaxing different sounds on it. I find most youtube vid demos of the A6 tend to lack subtlety and go for the "OMG TURN EVERYTHING UP AND TURN THE CUTOFF!" type.

this is one of the better A6 demos I've heard. CoolColJ is the Andromeda master, in my humble opinion.

Wow, within 3 seconds of watching the video I was surprised that it was an Andromeda. That video floored me. I can't believe what the Andromeda is capable of doing outside of making buzzy noises. BAD a*s! Your description of the videos online fall right in line with my thinking of the Jupiter 6.

The JP6 can mimic most of the non multitimbral sounds on my Prophet 08 EXACTLY, but it takes FINE tweaking. There are sounds that the JP6 wants to make, and then there are sounds that you can coax out of the synth.
For example, there are sections of the filter cutoff that effect the sound DRASTICALLY if you just about blow on the slider knob. The JP6 has an extremely wide sound spectrum that it covers.

In contrast, my P08 does not. It has large sweet spots but not much "in between them". Sort of like how a Juno 106 has a big sweet spot thats hard to get out of, but the P08 is no where near as extreme.

There are places a synth wants to go, but in the case of many, there are a lot of other places you can take it.

b3groover
Band: THEO

Post by b3groover » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:52 am

Some Andromeda stuff I posted here awhile ago. Read the descriptions, because some of the sounds are Alchemy, but for the most part they are the Andromeda in Mix Mode, being played live into Cubase (no sequencing... Cubase is acting more like a glorified tape deck).

http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... =8&t=58185

Another one that features the Andromeda doing mainly strings (through a moogerfooger phaser) and rhythm parts. Listening to that track makes me miss my ATC-x. :( I shouldn't have sold it. The basses are insane.

http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... =8&t=59739

And finally one with just the Andromeda going through an Eventide Space.

http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... 15#p636756

b3groover

Post by b3groover » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:40 am

The Studio Electronics CODE sounds pretty amazing, imo. I'd love to have one. In fact, I plan on that in the future.

fzp52j

Post by fzp52j » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:19 am

b3groover wrote:The Studio Electronics CODE sounds pretty amazing, imo. I'd love to have one. In fact, I plan on that in the future.

Ha, yeah! I ran into that same video about a week or so ago and then also yesterday. It's pretty impressive. Then I looked into buying one but I cant find one anywhere. Even when you press the purchase button on their site, it reroutes you to the purhcase of an SE-1X???? The Omega 8 seems awesome too. But I'm not paying $5000 for anything new. Especially if its just rack mounted.

Two days ago, I finally recorded a track (a very sloppy track, as usual) with all my polyphonic synths and STILL I tend to flock towards the big old wooden synth thats about as heavy as my refridgerator (the CS50). But it has a ring modulator and HP filter on it. That combo is heaven for me. I should probably just sell my car and get a CS80 and end my ultimate polysynth search there.

Oh, and here's my recording that I made the other day of all my current polysynths. :D :D :D

Ambient stuff is a combo of the JP6 and P08. Its easy to see what the rest is.
And yes I know its sloppy. Everything I do is sloppy and done on the fly. and it doesn't really get going until the 1:30 mark.

b3groover

Post by b3groover » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:45 am

The CODE is available from Nova Musik. They are very pricey, but well worth the money, imo. If I can sell my '74 B3 and 122 for some decent bread, I plan on getting one.

fzp52j

Post by fzp52j » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:13 am

b3groover wrote:The CODE is available from Nova Musik. They are very pricey, but well worth the money, imo. If I can sell my '74 B3 and 122 for some decent bread, I plan on getting one.
Wow, $5,500. You can buy a Minimoog and an Oberheim for that kind of money. I have to wait 20 years until I can find one all mangled and broke down. Then my conscience will approve. Until then I will just invest in the stuff I "need" an Andromeda, a midi ...box? for editing, looping, and recording my stuff direct, and a mic or ventilator so I can record MY 1974 B3. Until then, I'll get by making 5 minute mistake ridden songs. ......like this one I made today. :D

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:26 pm

fzp52j wrote:
b3groover wrote:The CODE is available from Nova Musik. They are very pricey, but well worth the money, imo. If I can sell my '74 B3 and 122 for some decent bread, I plan on getting one.
Wow, $5,500. You can buy a Minimoog and an Oberheim for that kind of money. I have to wait 20 years until I can find one all mangled and broke down. Then my conscience will approve. Until then I will just invest in the stuff I "need" an Andromeda, a midi ...box? for editing, looping, and recording my stuff direct, and a mic or ventilator so I can record MY 1974 B3. Until then, I'll get by making 5 minute mistake ridden songs. ......like this one I made today. :D

Other members, this is member dzlvs8, who was banned for scamming and trolling sellers. Just google his name and check out his ebay feedback. We don't want disreputable pieces of s**t scamming and trolling members of this board, so if you see any posts that even hint at being written by this c**t (such as links to horrendously awful youtube demos), please inform me post haste.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.