Roland PG-800 vs. Behringer BCF Hack

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
c-level
Gear: Juno106, JX10, JX8P, JX3P, MKS50, SY22, SH201, Micromoog, CP 251, Korg Legacy, Triton Rack, Ableton 9, APC40, Max/MSP, Focusrite Pro40, Jazz Bass.
Band: C-Level

Roland PG-800 vs. Behringer BCF Hack

Post by c-level » Tue May 15, 2012 4:37 pm

Hey guys has anyone here had any success in remapping something like a Behringer Fader/Knob Control Bank to work like a Roland PG-800 programmer for a JX8P, Alpha Juno or the like? Bouta get a project JX8P and a buddy offered me a BCF2000 in a studio downsizing effort. Wondering what kinda messages it might send, as Im used to CC, but not so familiar with Sysex... Heres what got me thinkin.... Im guessing it would be a bit different with the J8xP's programmer input being its own 6 pin DIN jack, not so sure bout teh alpha juno tho....

mharris80
Gear: Korg M1
MicroKorg
Ensoniq ASR 88
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Roland JX-8P
Roland MKS-50
Yamaha RX7
M Audio Oxygen 49
AV Linux

Re: Roland PG-800 vs. Behringer BCF Hack

Post by mharris80 » Tue May 15, 2012 4:49 pm

BCR owner. If you get one, join the BCR/BCF Yahoo group. They have files ready to go for both the JX and the Alpha Juno. Basically, you just run it into the JX over MIDI. The awesome thing about the BCR is its flexibility. Not only can you control hardware synths, you can do software as well. I've got mine set up so I can route it with my software MIDI mixer to control one or the other (or both) with just a couple mouse clicks. Highly recommended.

c-level
Gear: Juno106, JX10, JX8P, JX3P, MKS50, SY22, SH201, Micromoog, CP 251, Korg Legacy, Triton Rack, Ableton 9, APC40, Max/MSP, Focusrite Pro40, Jazz Bass.

Post by c-level » Tue May 15, 2012 5:47 pm

Thanks for the advice, so is it mostly MIDI? sounds like I could control the J8XP with my Edirol PCR 500's knobs even if I dont score the fader bank. The rotary bank looks a like more of a handfull than the fader bank hahahah

mharris80
Gear: Korg M1
MicroKorg
Ensoniq ASR 88
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Roland JX-8P
Roland MKS-50
Yamaha RX7
M Audio Oxygen 49
AV Linux

Post by mharris80 » Tue May 15, 2012 6:06 pm

c-level wrote:Thanks for the advice, so is it mostly MIDI? sounds like I could control the J8XP with my Edirol PCR 500's knobs even if I dont score the fader bank. The rotary bank looks a like more of a handfull than the fader bank hahahah
MIDI/USB with several different modes for them. The way I have mine set up, my ASR-88 is going into the MIDI in. Using my software MIDI patchbay, I can then direct that to either softsynths, or to the BCR's MIDI out to control my other hardware, or both at once if I feel like it.

Infinity Curve
Gear: SH101, Monomachine, Machinedrum, Analog Four, lots of eurorack
Band: Infinity Curve

Post by Infinity Curve » Tue May 15, 2012 7:56 pm

c-level wrote:Thanks for the advice, so is it mostly MIDI? sounds like I could control the J8XP with my Edirol PCR 500's knobs even if I dont score the fader bank. The rotary bank looks a like more of a handfull than the fader bank hahahah
Nope. The JX8P uses SYS EX for parameter changes, so unless your Edirol PCR allows you to assign specific SYS EX strings to each knob(doubt it), that won't work.

The BCF/BCR allows you to assign SYS EX strings to each knob/fader.

synthparts

Post by synthparts » Wed May 16, 2012 4:46 am

I use my BCR2000 with the PG-300 emulator preset and it is perfect. Why anyone pays 3x more for a real PG-300 makes no sense to me... There's a PG-800 preset you can download from the Yahoo group too.
Last edited by synthparts on Wed May 16, 2012 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Wed May 16, 2012 5:22 am

Infinity Curve wrote:
Nope. The JX8P uses SYS EX for parameter changes, so unless your Edirol PCR allows you to assign specific SYS EX strings to each knob(doubt it), that won't work.

From checking the manual, the PCR 500 allows sysex to be sent from the knobs, as well as CCs, program/bank change, RPNs, and NRPNs.

Infinity Curve
Gear: SH101, Monomachine, Machinedrum, Analog Four, lots of eurorack
Band: Infinity Curve

Post by Infinity Curve » Wed May 16, 2012 2:12 pm

Ashe37 wrote:
Infinity Curve wrote:

From checking the manual, the PCR 500 allows sysex to be sent from the knobs, as well as CCs, program/bank change, RPNs, and NRPNs.
Hmmm....wouldn't have expected that. Teach me to answer without reading the manual. Only controllers I have really seen with that kind of function are the Novation SL line, but from reading just now, it seems even the A-Pro line can do sysex. Interesting, as they are half the cost of the Novation SL line, although when I played with one of the A800 PRo's in store, didn't really like the feel of the keys.

Thanks for the correction and sorry for the misinformation.

c-level

Post by c-level » Wed May 16, 2012 6:58 pm

Yeah i knew my PCR 500 sent sysex, I have not a clue what they are tho. The PCR was great before i made the software jump, controling hardware CC parameters on my Electribe EMX. Stupid question but can you remotely control a Juno106 with sysex?

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Wed May 16, 2012 10:04 pm

Infinity Curve wrote: Hmmm....wouldn't have expected that. Teach me to answer without reading the manual. Only controllers I have really seen with that kind of function are the Novation SL line, but from reading just now, it seems even the A-Pro line can do sysex. Interesting, as they are half the cost of the Novation SL line, although when I played with one of the A800 PRo's in store, didn't really like the feel of the keys.

Thanks for the correction and sorry for the misinformation.

The only reason i checked the manual is because i had looked at them in the store when they started blowing them out several months ago and was considering picking one up, was happy to know they supported both sysex and nrpns... so I went and double checked when the question came up.