maplin 5600s worth it ?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: minimoog polymoog memorymoog multimoog micromoog minitmoog and tons more.

maplin 5600s worth it ?

Post by bochelli » Thu May 17, 2012 11:41 pm

There is a Maplin 5600s on ebay UK sold as seen untested , are there any obsolete parts it has now ? i was thinking of the matrix pin panel if its faulty and what is it worth as is ?
yamoto773

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Re: maplin 5600s worth it ?

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri May 18, 2012 5:09 pm

bochelli wrote:There is a Maplin 5600s on ebay UK sold as seen untested , are there any obsolete parts it has now ? i was thinking of the matrix pin panel if its faulty and what is it worth as is ?
Pretty sure you could find the schematics online. The whole thing reeks of "broken" though, and it might be more effort than it's worth! You'll have no idea how well it was bit (from a kit) until you get it...
Do you even post on vse bro?

bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by bochelli » Fri May 18, 2012 5:47 pm

The seller said he was offered £2000 but nothing came of it, i have a friend who has maplin gear and he says it could need lots of work, ive also read it takes CMOS 4416 VCO chips are these obsolete?
yamoto773

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Fri May 18, 2012 7:13 pm

bochelli wrote:The seller said he was offered £2000 but nothing came of it
If it's worth anything near that I'll eat all my hats. I'd not pay more than a few hundred, but that's based on instinct rather than market knowledge.
i have a friend who has maplin gear and he says it could need lots of work, ive also read it takes CMOS 4416 VCO chips are these obsolete?
Kits are going to be variably built. The (obsolete AFAIK) 4416BE in the oscs is a dual 2-throw switch which you might be able to rig up a replacement for, maybe on a small daughterboard or similar. It's a 14-pin DIP and I'm not immediately sure of its pinout or specific details without looking it up, but it's for switching the integrator in and out that forms the raw triangle wave (which is then shaped into saw, pulse etc).

If you do need the schematics, I have a photocopied build manual from back when I worked for Maplin that perhaps I could make a copy of for you.

bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by bochelli » Fri May 18, 2012 7:22 pm

nathanscribe wrote:
bochelli wrote:The seller said he was offered £2000 but nothing came of it
If it's worth anything near that I'll eat all my hats. I'd not pay more than a few hundred, but that's based on instinct rather than market knowledge.
i have a friend who has maplin gear and he says it could need lots of work, ive also read it takes CMOS 4416 VCO chips are these obsolete?
Kits are going to be variably built. The (obsolete AFAIK) 4416BE in the oscs is a dual 2-throw switch which you might be able to rig up a replacement for, maybe on a small daughterboard or similar. It's a 14-pin DIP and I'm not immediately sure of its pinout or specific details without looking it up, but it's for switching the integrator in and out that forms the raw triangle wave (which is then shaped into saw, pulse etc).

If you do need the schematics, I have a photocopied build manual from back when I worked for Maplin that perhaps I could make a copy of for you.
Thank you for the kind offer, if the patch pin matrix is not working i cant see getting a replacement, i agree its down to the build quality but years in storage may counter that, but here in England money is short on the ground and i would have a limited budget to get working.
yamoto773

ygg

Post by ygg » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:08 pm

I have all the documentation for the 5600s.

I'll supply a little demo of mine since there is just about nothing out there about this seriously wicked machine!
This is shortly after I got mine and I know very little about modulars and matrixpanels so don't take this to serious :)
I paid €3300 for it fully working and actually in mint condition.

http://soundcloud.com/mekonium-acid/map ... requencies
Acid Generators: Mg-1, Tb-Devilfish, Fizmo, Minimoog, JP6europa, JP4 I/O, S-100m, Maplin 5600s, Prophet 5, NordWave, Concorde 502, Tr-77, Tr-808midi, Machinedrum, Vermona drmmk2, Re-201, Vt-1, Fireworx, Scrotum, other FX , pedals and hardware.

SKINNYPIG

Post by SKINNYPIG » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:15 pm

bochelli wrote:Thank you for the kind offer, if the patch pin matrix is not working i cant see getting a replacement,
a couple of years ago there was a guy in the UK making diy EMS Synthi kits; if I remember correctly he had found a readily available source of patch matrix's in various different sizes.

I've had a quick look on google for the guys site but can't find it, maybe someone here has a link?

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:37 pm

ygg wrote:I paid €3300 for it fully working and actually in mint condition.
Bloody h**l.

ygg

Post by ygg » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:58 pm

That is surely a lot I paid.
But atleast 3 have actually gone for more and I expect a well made one in good condition to rise quite a lot within some years. One went for £4950 at VEMIA :o

How many synts can make sounds like a Maplin 5600s? Not a single one I ever tried, it's a monster and uniq imo.
Acid Generators: Mg-1, Tb-Devilfish, Fizmo, Minimoog, JP6europa, JP4 I/O, S-100m, Maplin 5600s, Prophet 5, NordWave, Concorde 502, Tr-77, Tr-808midi, Machinedrum, Vermona drmmk2, Re-201, Vt-1, Fireworx, Scrotum, other FX , pedals and hardware.