How intuitive is Dark Time?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
bhrama
Gear: Sub 37, TR8, Streichfett, Tempest, P6
Band: Grit Lapse, Mangkind

How intuitive is Dark Time?

Post by bhrama » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:26 pm

I'm considering getting a sequencer, and have looked at the Dark Time. I was wondering if anyone had some feedback on how easy to use it is. I'm part of a duo, where I play all beats + bass and/or melodies...so a need to free up my hands in some capacity to add depth and texture to our sounds. Beats roll on the Tempest, but I generally play leads/bass on the P5 or Voyager (MiniBrute when it comes). My partner sings and plays keys, but she has simple melodies and I need to carry the burden.

Is it good for basslines? <== main hope. How quickly can you load something up? Is it good for live situations?

I've never been in this small of a band, I don't use midi or sequencers, playing everything in realtime (except the Tempest) so these are new challenges. Any suggestions beyond sequencers are advised as well :D

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Re: How intuitive is Dark Time?

Post by phesago » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:59 am

http://www.future-retro.com/orboverview.html

this has been my favorite sequencer so far. Pretty useful.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:22 am

bhrama wrote:Is it good for basslines? <== main hope. How quickly can you load something up? Is it good for live situations?
I don't think this is what you want. The Dark Time is for playing with, not for getting it to play back something else. There is no memory and you need to set each knob to the right point by hand.
I've never been in this small of a band, I don't use midi or sequencers, playing everything in realtime (except the Tempest) so these are new challenges. Any suggestions beyond sequencers are advised as well :D
I think it might be time to start using midi and sequencers.

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:20 am

Ahh the joys of analogue sequencers, tuning each note (pitch) in by ear, when we are mostly used to lcd displays telling us what note exactly you are selecting or is playing.

Get a midi sequencer...
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:20 am

Dark time has a quantiser, so it's pretty easy. Just gotta get within 1/12 of a volt.

Hair

Post by Hair » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:07 am

bhrama wrote:How quickly can you load something up?
This is the biggest issue, I believe the Dark Time has no memory whatsoever - what you see is what gets played back, so in that regard it's intuitive, but won't do what you want.

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Post by phesago » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:28 am

http://future-retro.com/orboverview.html

This is one h**l of a unit.

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:45 pm

If you want to quickly recall basslines as well as tweak them as they play, look into some of the low-end grooveboxes.

The Korg Electribe EA-1 can sequence two monophonic lines on independent MIDI channels. You can operate it both as a pattern sequencer (loops of up to 4 bars) as well as full songs (by chaining patterns). You can find them used for about $100. Just ignore the onboard synth engine, or use it if you like.

The Yamaha RM1X can sequence polyphonically on all 16 MIDI channels. Again, you can make use of the onboard synth engine or not. About $200 used.

I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Carey M
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Post by Carey M » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:44 pm

Can the Dark Time quantizer do major/minor/custom scales yet?