Calling all Korgheads and Tritoneers! Question!!

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
gridsleep
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Das Vorlagengehirn
Band: Big Steam Horse

Calling all Korgheads and Tritoneers! Question!!

Post by gridsleep » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:47 am

I have read through the Triton manual, and scoured the web, but still I am not dead certain whether or not the Triton has polyphonic aftertouch. I want a keyboard with poly aftertouch for my studio. The only contenders seem to be the new VAX77 MIDI keyboard (at $3,000? Pppvvvvfff! Yeah, right...), the Ensoniq ASR-10 (my personal preference) and EPS-16plus on the sampler end and the VFX, VFX/SD, SD-1 and TS-10 on the workstation side, and possibly the Korg Triton, if I can determine the nature of the keybed. I think I'd rather have the Triton than an ASR-10 or TS-10, even though I already have a Triton Rack with MOSS, SCSI and PCMs 1,2,3&5.

So, if any dedicated Triton player out there can confirm that the Triton (in any or all incarnations) has or does not have polyphonic aftertouch, I would gratefully appreciate it. The manual says it can receive and transmit poly or channel, but nowhere does it specifically state the nature of the keybed.
Nymph, in thy orisons be all my synths remembered.

Dano

Re: Calling all Korgheads and Tritoneers! Question!!

Post by Dano » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:07 am

I don't *think* the Triton has polyphonic aftertouch. (Please correct me anyone if that's not correct.)
A fairly inexpensive keyboard that does have it is the Ensoniq SQ-80 but that might not work for you if you want a more modern workstation.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:24 am

Tritons have the normal "channel aftertouch", meaning the AT is applied to all the voices at once when you push down one key.

Poly AT is extremely rare on keyboards, coz it's expensive to put a separate AT sensor underneath each key. The mentioned Ensoniq SQ-80 has it, but also a very clicky keybed, because there is a metal plate under the keys that react to individual keys' pressure, so you're always slamming into the metal plate when you play. It's also a late 80's synth, so. I have it, it's fun, but the AT is getting a bit difficult to trigger nowadays, some keys are more "elephant touch" than "after touch".

Dunno if any modern MIDI keyboards have it, all the AT midi keyboards I've seen have channel AT.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:03 am

Bitexion wrote:Dunno if any modern MIDI keyboards have it, all the AT midi keyboards I've seen have channel AT.
AFAIK this is the only one.

http://www.infiniteresponse.com/

It's three grand.

Big Gnome
Gear: E-mu Proteus 2500
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Ensoniq VFX
SCI Prelude
Waldorf Blofeld
Band: The Nondescript

Post by Big Gnome » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:47 am

Tritons have mono aftertouch. If you really have a strong desire for poly aftertouch, your best bet is probably an Ensoniq of some kind. I can tell you the VFX at least has kind of a weird, typewriter-esque keyboard feel (which is nevertheless satisfying and fun...just not for everybody). I'm not sure it would make a great master controller--although I've never really tried it--but it's a terrific synth in its own right (frankly, for a late 80's S+S, it's like unto a tiny god).
"Sure that's fine in practice, but what about in theory?"
Some of my c**p

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:26 am

Yep, Ensoniqs are the best bet when you want Poly AT. VFXs are about the cheapest way to get it. Just make sure the keyboard fix has been done... and a stock VFX isn't really a workstation, its a synth... no sequencer.

Bitexion, try cleaning the metal plates on the keys along with the inductor on the keybed itself... dust/dirt collecting between the two is the usual culprit with that.

Dano

Post by Dano » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:16 am

Bitexion wrote: The mentioned Ensoniq SQ-80 has it, but also a very clicky keybed,
That is for sure! :)

gridsleep
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Das Vorlagengehirn
Band: Big Steam Horse

Post by gridsleep » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:57 pm

Thanks for all the replies. Some very useful information here.

I think I'm going to go for a Roland A80. It has 88 keys with polyphonic aftertouch, two MIDI in, one MIDI through, and four MIDI out. It's a bit newer than the Ensoniqs and probably a bit less prone to malfunction. It's a lot closer to what I am looking for. It's not as cheap as the Ensoniqs but it is not much more dear. It's affordable and has everything I want. Good show.

Later:

Correction... I want a Roland A90. With or without any VE exansion boards. I already have a Kawai MP8 II piano, and GM is much better through my Technics SX-WSA1 or Kawai K5000W. I can get Roland's proprietary GS from my little PMA-5 or even the V-Synth GT (not too sure if it has GS built in--I'd have to check the manual.) But, the A90 has the polyphonic aftertouch, and it was said by some to be the best piano around in the pre-RD-700 age (using the optional VE card, that is.)

Even Later:

Uncorrection... The A90 apparently has channel aftertouch only. The poly aftertouch is kind of a cheat. It can be programmed to work on the first, last, lowest, or highest note played. Not applying to all keys simultaneously. So, it looks like, excepting the VAX77, the Roland A80 is the best keyboard available with true polyphonic aftertouch. Please don't argue for the Yamaha CS-80. I don't have an extra $20,000 lying about. Even the price of a DX1 is prohibitive when one becomes available. The Roland A80 sits right between them and the Ensoniqs in quality, and can even be had for less than the cost of an ESQ-1 (according to the clowns who think they can get $350+ for and ESQ-1, ha!) I can definitely get an A80 for less than the going price of a T-10. And the A80 has piano action along with the poly touch. My Kawai MP8 II has only channel aftertouch, and the Roland RD-700 doesn't even have that--aftertouch is a second-hand effect through the pedal (FC=foot control) or MFX (Multi-Effects knob.) I even checked out the currently available GW-8; a very capable machine but its aftertouch is only available through the "backing track" which is a polite way of saying the player piano--the automatic backing computer that plays along, provides chords, bass, melody tracking, percussion, what have you. Ever try playing a player piano while it plays? Neither have I. Whatever the GW-8 considers to be aftertouch, the keybed has nothing to do with it.

So, all things considered, the best affordable keyboard with true polyphonic aftertouch is the Roland A80. Now, it's just a waiting game. The moment I see one available, I intend to snatch it up. I have a headache from all this research and trying to read photocopied manuals in PDF on a high resolution monitor. Oy, mein kopf.
Nymph, in thy orisons be all my synths remembered.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:36 pm

the 'malfunction' problem with the Ensoniqs is a known problem with a known fix.

And the ESQ-1 doesn't have Poly AT anyway...