EHX 2880 vs. various loopers

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
bhrama
Gear: Sub 37, TR8, Streichfett, Tempest, P6
Band: Grit Lapse, Mangkind

EHX 2880 vs. various loopers

Post by bhrama » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:04 pm

So I'm pretty well set on buying a dedicated looper pedal (I have the Timefactor, but it's not the easiest to use in live settings). I've seen several musicians use it's famed big brother the EHX 16-Second Delay, but haven't found one of those for years, so thought maybe about getting a 2880. Love what Reggie Watts does, and for my 2 piece band (laying basslines, building melodies and/or backgrounds) it seems like a nice idea to have an intuitive looper.

How many of you have experience with loopers, namely the 2880, Boomerang, Boss, etc. Which would you recommend for ease of use. I'm not really needing alot of bells and whistles, which attracts me to the 2880.

Plus this video just gets the juices flowing, no?

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: EHX 2880 vs. various loopers

Post by pricklyrobot » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:27 pm

Here's a nice chart comparing various loopers: http://www.looproom.com/looperchart.php

I've had a 2880 for a while now and I'm pretty happy with it. Occasionally I wish I'd gotten a Repeater instead, but they usually go for a couple hundred bucks more. The 2880 does what it says on the tin, and is really simple and intuitive to use, and can be had for decent second hand prices. Recommended. :thumbright:

I think EHX just recently discontinued them. Don't know if they're planning an updated version, or if they just didn't sell well enough to justify their continued production.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:46 pm

i have two line 6 DL4s in my guitar rig. ages ago i used the first as a delay but since then they've both become dedicated to looping. also had a boss RC-50 and wish i hadn't let it go. after seeing a performance by battles last week i'm craving a gibson echoplex pro plus but they're effing expensive...

also love using my electrix repeater.

bhrama
Gear: Sub 37, TR8, Streichfett, Tempest, P6
Band: Grit Lapse, Mangkind

Post by bhrama » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:32 am

appreciate the input fellas, I'll get to searching...Prickly, any thoughts on the foot control?

n3wt15
Gear: a never ending cycle of ins and outs
Band: Armageddon Party

Post by n3wt15 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:48 am

Im very curious about the 2880 as well, been on my want list for a while.

I used to use a line 6 dl4, which always treated me well, i could record multiple loops, reverse, slow down, it was nice for what it was. I ended up selling it to the guitarits in one of the bands I work in though, as his broke, and he used his all the time, where I didnt.

Currently I am using two korg kp3 kaoss pads, which act well as loopers, and are a lot of fun...however I really want something with a foot controller as I am mostly looping myself playing bass, then keys, and back to bass....its hard to loop while playing bass with those buttons without screwing up the riff.

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:12 pm

bhrama wrote:Prickly, any thoughts on the foot control?
It was included with mine when I bought it. It's handy, and saves you having to use the MIDI In for some kind of third-party MIDI foot controller. Not sure how much I'd pay for it on its own. But if you're going to be using it live, I'd definitely consider it.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

analoglsd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Buchla Music Easel, TE OP-1, Korg MS-20, Yamaha RS-7000, Effects Pedals

Post by analoglsd » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:09 pm

I've used/owned the Boomerang I+II+III, Line 6 DL-4, Electrix Repeater, Gibson Echoplex, and the Electro Harmonix 2880.
They are all great loopers, but I think, for the the money, that the 2880 is the best value.
I never used a dedicated MIDI footswitch with the Echoplex or Repeater, so there are many advanced features that I wasn't employing, but I didn't need them.
If you don't plan on using a dedicated MIDI footswitch with the Repeater, then there isn't much difference between the Repeater and the 2880.
The only thing that I would warn you about, when you have the 2880 synced to an external MIDI clock, is that making the first loop can be tricky.
You have to press record after the first beat, and then the record function will begin on the following first beat.
Not a huge hurdle, but I have botched it before live and none of the other loopers, that sync to MIDI clock, act this way.
The memory on the 2880 also isn't as versatile as the Repeater, as it will only hold one loop at a time, but you can just take the card out, pop it in a card reader, and dump it on your computer.
Each track will appear as an independent WAV. file and will also include a text file with the BPM of the loop.
When dumping loops from the Repeater to the computer, the WAV. files come with a little extra room on each end, so you have to trim them, which is a pain in the a*s compared to the 2880.
I still own and use the Line 6 DL-4, Repeater, and 2880.

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:44 pm

analoglsd wrote:The memory on the 2880 also isn't as versatile as the Repeater, as it will only hold one loop at a time, but you can just take the card out, pop it in a card reader, and dump it on your computer.
It's also got a USB out, so you can do it that way too, if your 2880 isn't situated too far away from your PC.

Projectile

Post by Projectile » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:14 am

I used to own a Boss RC-20xl and loved it but traded it for a Line 6 DL-4 becasue I thought I could do with the shorter loop time and I wanted the extra delay and mangling features. Turns out I was wrong. I do really love the DL4 too, but if I had to do it over again I'd take the Boss back. I already had another delay pedal, so now I'm swimming in delays, but lack a looper that I can use for anything beyond short phrases. It's so much fun to record layers and layers of long swells and drones that go on for minutes. You can't do that with the time restrictions on many of the loopers. The 2880 has plenty of loop time, so you're good to go there, but I'd prefer to have a looper in a stomp box format. Usually I want to keep my hands free for playing.