Microkorg or Minibrute

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Affect12
Gear: Korg Monotribe
Korg Microkorg

Microkorg or Minibrute

Post by Affect12 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:29 am

I have been thinking about getting a Korg Microkorg ever since I sold an Alesis Micron. My major dislikes I had with the Micron was the interface I found difficult to interact with. The analog Minbrute also looks tempting. What should I go for first?

vanpet
Gear: Mono Evolver | Juno-60 | Nord Lead 2X | DX7 | MicroKorg | Alpha Juno

Re: Microkorg or Minibrute

Post by vanpet » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:07 am

Microkorg is boring to program. It's polyphonic.
Minibrute looks fun to program. It's monophonic.

I'm not even talking about the analog vs digital debate.

If you're after interaction I guess Minibrute would be better. But it's not out yet so you don't really have a choice now.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:08 am

Apart from price they really aren't that similar, so really it's just a question of what you need.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:14 am

Yeah, do you want a polyphonic digital synth with minikeys (boo!) which you can actually buy or do you want an analogue monosynth with only 25 (boo!) full sized keys which isn't available to be purchased anywhere?

SSquirrel

Post by SSquirrel » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:06 pm

Current dates on the Minibrute are sounding like last week of June for first shipment to some places here in the US and otehrs mid-July. Novamusik told me mid-July just last week.

Hair

Post by Hair » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:23 pm

MS2000 has the same sound engine as the MicroKorg but is way more fun to play/program. R3 has a little more of a clean sound engine (some like it better, some don't - I do, personally) and while it isn't as knobby as the MS2000, it's still way more fun to program than a Micron or MicroKorg imo. Also worth mentioning are the Novation K-Station, Roland Jupiter 8000 etc

Again, the most important consideration is polyphonic "virtual analog" (read: digital emulation) or monophonic straight up legit analog?

Affect12
Gear: Korg Monotribe
Korg Microkorg

Post by Affect12 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:58 pm

Aw, apple and oranges I see... I have a Monotribe so I think I'm going to try something different. I'm going for an Imogen Heap, Foster The People, and Mogwai type synth sound. The Microkorg with the vocoder would fit the bill for my current project. Thanks.

krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Where the Embers Fall

Post by krzeppa » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:01 am

I'll second the K-Station.....It is one of the easiest little synths to use. I wish it had at least 3 octave, but other than that what a nice synth at a low price. You can also get a lot of bang for the buck with a XioSynth.....Those would be my 2 choices only because they packed so much stuff into a small piece of gear.....You really end up getting more than what you paid for.

georgemarauder

Post by georgemarauder » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:57 am

I would say go with the Microkorg. Once you get the hang of the interface it is a breeze to program. Plus you get polyphony. Mono-synths are cool but what if you want to play some chords? The Minibrute seems too limited to me.

If you want a mono-synth with loads of character, that is fun to use and sounds great, get an Arp Axxe. Preferably one with the Moog copyright-infringing filter. But if you want a versatile synth that can do more than just mono sounds, get the Microkorg.

SSquirrel

Post by SSquirrel » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:28 pm

At this point if you are in the US, Minibrute's are en route and available soon, altho I bet they are all covering pre-orders at this point. If you are outside the US, Minibrute won't be until late July at the earliest according to Arturia. So if this is a buying now kind of thing, MB may not be part of the equation.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:53 pm

If you haven't preordered a minibrute already there's little chance you'll get one until at least September.