500$ gear to add layers to my MEK

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Ludoooo

500$ gear to add layers to my MEK

Post by Ludoooo » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:23 pm

I got a Mono evolver Keyboard as my first synth 8 months ago. I since learned the basics and had good use of the synth. I now want to add one or two hardware pieces to to add some details to my sound :
-polyphony : I'd like to be able to play some pads, some chords
-effects : adding some effects to the overall music
-new tones : I don't want to have a piece that will sound too similar to my MEK

I want it to be hardware since it's for live and practice purpose. I'll have DAW aswell but i'ts not the point here. I was thiking of maybe a little VA synth for the polyphony and different tones (microkorg, R3, Miniak...), or maybe a rakmount MS-2000. And then adding a Kaoss Pad for effects. What do you think?? Have any other suggestion?

I think a Kaossilator would'nt be useful since I'll be using my MEK for leads and bass.

Rick N Boogie
Gear: MEK/Blofeld/Phatty/JP08/DrumBrute/ER1
Basses/synth fx galore
Band: no.one.won

Re: 500$ gear to add layers to my MEK

Post by Rick N Boogie » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:30 pm

I use a MEK as my main synth, but also a Virus kb for polyphony and as a 2nd synth. I also use normal "guitar" effects pedals to great effect. One of my bandmates has the Korg R3, and that sounds pretty cool too, so not a bad option.
Bassist, synth junkie

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:30 pm

In the field of your considerations, I used an R3 with my MEK for years (still have the R3). I've always found it to excel at glassy, bell like tones and nice warmish to fizzy pads. It also doubles as an awesome FX unit, with up to 3 chainable effects (covering all the useful FX of the Kaoss Pad with actual controllable parameters).
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

Post by megamanx » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:05 pm

+1 on the r3 or radias R, I have owned both and sound really good and have good effects and polyphony. I have tallows MEK. :)

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:50 am

Maybe a Blofeld?

SSquirrel

Post by SSquirrel » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:58 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:Maybe a Blofeld?
That was going to be my suggestion. I saw some for under $500 on Ebay yesterday.

Ludoooo

Post by Ludoooo » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:20 am

Thanks for your answers. I'm now also considering a Oto Biscuit : http://www.otomachines.com/biscuit.html

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:40 am

Ludoooo wrote:Thanks for your answers. I'm now also considering a Oto Biscuit : http://www.otomachines.com/biscuit.html
It's not a synth.

Ludoooo

Post by Ludoooo » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:03 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Ludoooo wrote:Thanks for your answers. I'm now also considering a Oto Biscuit : http://www.otomachines.com/biscuit.html
It's not a synth.
It is, when you download the new OS! But i'm mainly considering it as an effects processor. But I should maybe spend the money on something else (R3, Blofeld?), since the distortion/bitcrusher effects are pretty solid on my MEK anyway.

Angstwulf

Post by Angstwulf » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:30 pm

Rick N Boogie wrote:I use a MEK as my main synth, but also a Virus kb for polyphony and as a 2nd synth. I also use normal "guitar" effects pedals to great effect. One of my bandmates has the Korg R3, and that sounds pretty cool too, so not a bad option.
+1 on the Virus.

Don't forget, a Virus is also a pretty powerful effects processors in its own right.

c-level
Gear: Juno106, JX10, JX8P, JX3P, MKS50, SY22, SH201, Micromoog, CP 251, Korg Legacy, Triton Rack, Ableton 9, APC40, Max/MSP, Focusrite Pro40, Jazz Bass.
Band: C-Level

Post by c-level » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:53 pm

am i really the only one whod reccomend an sh201? good poly features, supersaw, simple pitch env, portamento, mix/ring/sync, the filters not great but it does good with a slow lfo

Angstwulf

Post by Angstwulf » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:52 pm

c-level wrote:am i really the only one whod reccomend an sh201? good poly features, supersaw, simple pitch env, portamento, mix/ring/sync, the filters not great but it does good with a slow lfo
It's a capable synth but the OP could get a used Virus B/Classic or a desktop Blofeld or a Nord Lead Rack within his budget all of which offer way more than the 201.

To the OP: if you are comfortable using your MEK as the controller for your second synth and don't think you'll be doing on-stage patch tweaking have you considered a used ROMpler module like a Motif rack or even a Command Station? Those sound purty and will really widen your palette.