A good effects processor

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Post Reply
User avatar
Xces
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:20 am
Band: Solo works: Xces

A good effects processor

Post by Xces » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:06 pm

Hey there I've been looking around for an effects processor, but I am a little bit stumped on what I should get.
I've been looking at the KP Quad and OTO Biscuit, would those be good ones for me?
Here are some things that might help lower down the list
-I am on a tight budget
-I am getting my first one
-I plan on using mostly software
-I wanna be able to take it "out on the road"
-I like more creative and flexible things

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1433
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:57 pm

Re: A good effects processor

Post by Hugo76 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:52 pm

I recommend you take a look at the new Korg MiniKaossPad 2. It's possible to record large samples directly to a memory card

User avatar
Xces
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:20 am
Band: Solo works: Xces

Re: A good effects processor

Post by Xces » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:11 am

Hugo76 wrote:I recommend you take a look at the new Korg MiniKaossPad 2. It's possible to record large samples directly to a memory card

Thanks a lot for the suggestion but I don't really see too much creativity with in it. I'd rather not use something that's a little more "preset driven" if you know what I mean.
Though I might take a look at some sound demos of it because it has quite a nice look to it.

User avatar
Sir Nose
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 785
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:54 pm
Real name: Bob
Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400
Location: PA

Re: A good effects processor

Post by Sir Nose » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:17 am

1st determine if you want something that does many different effects or one effect really well.
Funkadelic wrote: nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty

User avatar
Xces
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:20 am
Band: Solo works: Xces

Re: A good effects processor

Post by Xces » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:52 am

Sir Nose wrote:1st determine if you want something that does many different effects or one effect really well.

Well I think that many different effects would be good to have, but in reality I don't really care just as long as it's useful and I can do more then select effects. The Biscuit looks creative to me because it has some more unique features to it, but I don't know if it is the best effects processor for a beginner, which is why I thought of the KP Quad, and it has the ability to combine 4 effects in an easy way.
Right now the Biscuit is still in the lead for me

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1433
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:57 pm

Re: A good effects processor

Post by Hugo76 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:04 pm

I have the Kaoss Pad Quad, and although it's very cool, I think I still would prefer a KP3 over it. I also have the
original MiniKp, btw. Remember that several of the effects are combinations.

User avatar
Xces
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:20 am
Band: Solo works: Xces

Re: A good effects processor

Post by Xces » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:04 pm

Hugo76 wrote:I have the Kaoss Pad Quad, and although it's very cool, I think I still would prefer a KP3 over it. I also have the
original MiniKp, btw. Remember that several of the effects are combinations.

Several effects are combinations? You mean on the Mini KP, yeah I'd think that, but I'd much rather make my own combinations on a KP Quad. Like what I said before I'm not a big fan of just scrolling through effects, I wanna be able to do more with it's effects.

User avatar
GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Posts: 1547
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:10 am
Gear: YES PLEASE!
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: A good effects processor

Post by GuyaGuy » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:25 pm

The Biscuit seems awesome but it's not really a full-blown multi-fx unit if that's what you want. It's a bitcrusher and filter.

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1433
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:57 pm

Re: A good effects processor

Post by Hugo76 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:32 am

@ Xces:
I get the point, but I'm only saying that although you can combine effects in the Quad, these combinations arent necessarily that mindblowing and 'original' as compared to the selection on offer in the KP3 or the Mini's. Personally, I would choose the Mini, in order to get more varied and interesting effects. My advice would be for you to test both, so you are confident you have made the right choice

User avatar
Stab Frenzy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9723
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:41 pm
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX
Location: monster island*
Contact:

Re: A good effects processor

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:22 am

Xces wrote:-I am on a tight budget
-I am getting my first one
-I plan on using mostly software
-I wanna be able to take it "out on the road"
-I like more creative and flexible things
The Biscuit has always struck me as an expensive one trick pony, seems like it wouldn't be the best choice for these criteria.

The Kaoss pads would probably be my pick for this; you can't edit them that deeply but the way the XY control, loopers and tap tempo interact leads to really interesting creative effects. Also you get a good choice of lots of different effects rather than just various kinds of distortion and a filter with the Biscuit.

If you're still into the idea of the Biscuit then think about the DSI Evolver desktop. It can do most of what the Biscuit can do, plus it has three delay taps, a more comprehensive sequencer and is a better synth. And it's cheaper.

A third option is that for the $550 that the Biscuit goes for you could get a selection of pedals that you could use in really creative ways, ie an EHX Holy Stain ($120), Small Stone ($78), Stereo Memory Man with Hazari ($220) and $130 left over for whatever else you want, maybe an analogue delay or whatever floats your boat. I just picked EHX stuff because they have a selection of things and it was easiest for me to get prices for them all with only one window open, there are lots of other bands that do good stuff. Playing with pedals is heaps of fun and they're definitely giggable.

I'd probably go with the KP3 though.

User avatar
garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 1728
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:57 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: A good effects processor

Post by garranimal » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:24 am

I enjoy the KP Quad for integrating into a live environment and do lots of different things on the fly. In this way it has been an interesting creative tool for coloring sound and when necessary all-out mangling. I do find the possibilities of effect combinations to be inspiring. Hugo is right in that trying out these different units in person is a must before purchase.

User avatar
Xces
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:20 am
Band: Solo works: Xces

Re: A good effects processor

Post by Xces » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:58 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Xces wrote:-I am on a tight budget
-I am getting my first one
-I plan on using mostly software
-I wanna be able to take it "out on the road"
-I like more creative and flexible things
The Biscuit has always struck me as an expensive one trick pony, seems like it wouldn't be the best choice for these criteria.

The Kaoss pads would probably be my pick for this; you can't edit them that deeply but the way the XY control, loopers and tap tempo interact leads to really interesting creative effects. Also you get a good choice of lots of different effects rather than just various kinds of distortion and a filter with the Biscuit.

If you're still into the idea of the Biscuit then think about the DSI Evolver desktop. It can do most of what the Biscuit can do, plus it has three delay taps, a more comprehensive sequencer and is a better synth. And it's cheaper.

A third option is that for the $550 that the Biscuit goes for you could get a selection of pedals that you could use in really creative ways, ie an EHX Holy Stain ($120), Small Stone ($78), Stereo Memory Man with Hazari ($220) and $130 left over for whatever else you want, maybe an analogue delay or whatever floats your boat. I just picked EHX stuff because they have a selection of things and it was easiest for me to get prices for them all with only one window open, there are lots of other bands that do good stuff. Playing with pedals is heaps of fun and they're definitely giggable.

I'd probably go with the KP3 though.


Thanks a lot for this, I think I'll just get the KP Quad and since it's a little bit cheaper and if I enjoy it then I'll go up to get the KP3
Though I'll probably just end up dragging both with me in the studio and live performance

Post Reply