jupiter 4 filter behavior

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
8bit9bot
No Longer Registered

jupiter 4 filter behavior

Post by 8bit9bot » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:59 am

im in the process of selling my MKS-80 (i dont like the filters) but i am considering getting a jupiter 4 after - does its filter self oscillate? i think im getting sick of rolands but i am lured in by the jup4's arpeggiator modes (i want random arps) - if i dont go w/ the jup4 i will be going to polysix... i know that one has filters i like

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Re: jupiter 4 filter behavior

Post by Z » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:08 am

Yes, the JP-4's filter will self-oscillate and you can switch the VCO waveform to "OFF" to just use it's filter with EG and super-fast LFO.

One thing about its arpeggiator that I don't like is that even if you hold down a single key, it will play up to 3 octaves of that note instead of playing the single note.

8bit9bot
No Longer Registered

Post by 8bit9bot » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:22 am

ah... so the random arp is not comparible to the jupiter 8 version? there's no arp range on the jupiter 4? that's lame

eh... maybe i will stick w/ the polysix idea + add some others... i've basically come to learn that i wont be happy with a small number of synths - i need a few of them... and if i buy the jup4 i wont have any money left over ;)

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:16 am

If you buy a Jupiter-8 (if you can find one at all), you won't have any money left for the rest of the year though. Damn things are expensive.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:07 am

8bit9bot wrote:that's lame
No, it's a limitation, which means you work around or with it. I wouldn't discount a JP-4 for its clunky arpeggiator. It's still good.

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:09 pm

Consider the Juno-60. It has a more capable arpeggiator and probably costs less than a J4. Most certainly less than a J8.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

8bit9bot
No Longer Registered

Post by 8bit9bot » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:38 pm

bitexion - yeah i think the jup8 is way over-rated... im sick of seeing those prices - it's cool but not THAT cool - im not planning on buying one

nathanscribe - you're right, it's just a limitation... but it just makes me way less interested

cornutt - the juno 60... i've owned it and sold it - i owned a juno 60 aside a prophet 600 and i prefered the prophet's overall sound... but i prefered the juno's envelopes (ofcourse)

basically i want something that is between the juno and prophet sound... mks-80 was not it (not even close) and i think polysix is probably it - the jup4 seems nice too but i'm leaning towards polysix for the SSM filters and phaser

DesolationBlvd

Post by DesolationBlvd » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:23 pm

Really, the Korg VCO polys are unique. SSM2044 is really a Moog-style ladder filter on a chip, from what I've read.

I wonder why the Korg envelopes are so poor. Aren't they SSM chips? I'm assuming bad calibration. Same reason Jupiter-4 is incredibly fast - the service manual says to calibrate for speed, and then it sacrifices the slower part.
Moog Matriarch
Oberheim OB-8/DSX/DMX
Sequential Prophet 2002/Prophet-5 rev. 4
Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80
Roland JP-8/SH-101/RS-09/Kiwi-30
Korg MS-20 Kit/ARP Odyssey FSQ
Yamaha SY99/DX100
Waldorf Microwave 1
Simmons SDSV
Elektron Analog RYTM

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:30 pm

Little noodle I made last night after being inspired by this thread:
[youtube][/youtube]

8bit9bot
No Longer Registered

Post by 8bit9bot » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:44 am

DesolationBlvd wrote: I wonder why the Korg envelopes are so poor. Aren't they SSM chips? I'm assuming bad calibration. Same reason Jupiter-4 is incredibly fast - the service manual says to calibrate for speed, and then it sacrifices the slower part.
i dont think the korg envelopes are supposed to be slow... but probably not as fast as the rolands - atleast they wont be digital w/ poor resolution like on the prophet 600

DesolationBlvd

Post by DesolationBlvd » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:04 am

I meant "poor for hardware". analog.no lists Polysix at 4ms attack, the worst hardware envelope.

Sure enough, I looked in the Polysix service manual - their attack calibration seems wonky. It would make more sense to make the adjustments when the time is maxed.
Moog Matriarch
Oberheim OB-8/DSX/DMX
Sequential Prophet 2002/Prophet-5 rev. 4
Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80
Roland JP-8/SH-101/RS-09/Kiwi-30
Korg MS-20 Kit/ARP Odyssey FSQ
Yamaha SY99/DX100
Waldorf Microwave 1
Simmons SDSV
Elektron Analog RYTM

8bit9bot
No Longer Registered

Post by 8bit9bot » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:08 am

DesolationBlvd wrote:I meant "poor for hardware". analog.no lists Polysix at 4ms attack, the worst hardware envelope.
it may be 4ms... but if its exponential (curved) then its not the same "slowness" as 4ms linear - but like i said im sure they're not as fast as roland

ygg

Post by ygg » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:55 pm

Im selling my jp6e atm. Sold the j60, p600 and poly6 over the years.
They were all good sounding synths but nothing like a JP4.

Will NEVER sell the jp4! One of a kind machine that I rate above all my others. Maybe it's just me.
Acid Generators: Mg-1, Tb-Devilfish, Fizmo, Minimoog, JP6europa, JP4 I/O, S-100m, Maplin 5600s, Prophet 5, NordWave, Concorde 502, Tr-77, Tr-808midi, Machinedrum, Vermona drmmk2, Re-201, Vt-1, Fireworx, Scrotum, other FX , pedals and hardware.