Considering a Blofeld Desktop

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Considering a Blofeld Desktop

Post by Hugo76 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:12 am

tallowwaters wrote:Maybe it's time somebody invented a tiny MIDI button for auditioning. It can't be that difficult, right?
There is such a button on the Novation KS rack as well. I found it really handy

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:33 am

command station has it :D
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

kvnvk

Post by kvnvk » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:56 am

well the command stations have more than just an "audition button", lol... though that being said the E-mu single rack space versions such as the XL-1 do have an audition button as well, quite nifty for playing certain sounds or triggering arpeggio patches without a controller.

_dan

Post by _dan » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:29 am

fyi: saw a blofeld at Nova Musik new for $510 before I learned about the no audition thing, bought it (derp!), got it today. Headphone jack was extremely noisy. Any kind of wireless signal near it, or cable movement of any kind and it has a static that can't be ignored. The OS flat out crashed while flipping through presets in category mode the first time I turned it on, remedied with a power cycle. It probably needs an update. Most of the presets had a raspy quality. Tweaking from scratch is great, impressive range, plenty of presence with the filter drive, sweeps on parameters are nice, intuitive interface. Called Nova Musik about it, they were very cool about the situation. No problem exchanging or refunding. I've gotten sweet deals from them before.
_dan
========================
soundcloud.com/fy_11
Micron, Motif XF8, Reaper
========================

Shleed
Gear: Doepfer A100
MFB Synth II
Waldorf Blofeld
Korg MS20 Mini
Ensoniq EPS-16+
TT303
TX81Z
Band: Shledge

Post by Shleed » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:01 am

Some people have issues with noise when they use MIDI by USB. The OS bugs are pretty much sorted with 1.16b, but it's not a publicly accessible update yet since it still needs testing. Waldorf only presented it to people on the Blofeld group on.... Facebook. Weird I know.

_dan

Post by _dan » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:09 am

I was only using the midi in and headphone jack, no usb. Any mild pressure on the headphone jack at the cable base and the staic could be heard.
_dan
========================
soundcloud.com/fy_11
========================

Shleed
Gear: Doepfer A100
MFB Synth II
Waldorf Blofeld
Korg MS20 Mini
Ensoniq EPS-16+
TT303
TX81Z
Band: Shledge

Post by Shleed » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:28 am

Must be a lemon then. Sorry to hear. :/

_dan

Post by _dan » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:43 am

_dan
========================
soundcloud.com/fy_11
========================

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:04 am

Shleed wrote:Some people have issues with noise when they use MIDI by USB. The OS bugs are pretty much sorted with 1.16b, but it's not a publicly accessible update yet since it still needs testing. Waldorf only presented it to people on the Blofeld group on.... Facebook. Weird I know.
*I* have issues with MIDI over USB on my Blofeld. The problem occurs when using USB midi with a USB audio interface. Its a known issue... which i fixed by getting an inexpensive DI and running it into spare mic inputs.

ivanthemonkey
Gear: Virus b, Little Phatty and a Tele.
Band: My First Robot

Post by ivanthemonkey » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:28 am

I had to sell my Blofeld keyboard. The interface is definitely a pain to use (for me). The rotary knobs are ok. My biggest problem was that the arp was lagging. You hold down the keys, arp pattern is played nicely. You release and try to hold down again in tempo - > lag. I asked Waldorf about it and they said there's a fix coming. This was 6 months ago.

I didn't like that I had to go through a bunch of menus to turn on the arp or turn it off. It's great for the studio when you have the time to fiddle with the buttons and knobs to get what you want. But it's not a fast thing to work with if you know what I mean.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:33 pm

Another quick Q for Blofeld owners: the mod matrix has 16 slots, correct? Is there any limit to how many of those can be directed to the same destination? For example, if I wanted to apply envelope modulation to pitch but also wanted to use the mod wheel for vibrato, that kind of thing. I'm guessing it's all good to go, having skimmed the manual - but I don't have chance to demo a unit to check.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:37 am

I'm out of town so cant check mine atm...

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:26 pm

If you want a good, digital, PPG sounding hands-on synth; get the PPG Wave plug-in along with a Roland A-500 Pro MIDI controller keyboard.

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:57 pm

nathanscribe wrote:Another quick Q for Blofeld owners: the mod matrix has 16 slots, correct? Is there any limit to how many of those can be directed to the same destination? For example, if I wanted to apply envelope modulation to pitch but also wanted to use the mod wheel for vibrato, that kind of thing. I'm guessing it's all good to go, having skimmed the manual - but I don't have chance to demo a unit to check.
From what I remember that will be fine.

The only thing you will find when doing complex modulations with the blofeld is that they're evaluated once in a specific order. For example you cannot modulate envelope attack with an LFO because the envelope is calculated before the LFO is applied. Something like that.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:43 pm

th0mas wrote:From what I remember that will be fine.

The only thing you will find when doing complex modulations with the blofeld is that they're evaluated once in a specific order. For example you cannot modulate envelope attack with an LFO because the envelope is calculated before the LFO is applied. Something like that.
Righto, cheers - pretty much as I expected on the quantity, then. The manual isn't explicit on it but I'd have been surprised if there had been a low limit.

Interesting info on the order of calculation - not something I'd considered. Thanks.