Heres what i need ( Mono lancet )

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
breckjay
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: To many cables...

Heres what i need ( Mono lancet )

Post by breckjay » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:54 pm

so i think i know what i want. I am about two clicks away from buy a mono lancet but it lacks 2 things i would really like. Sub VCO and pulse wave. if it came down to it would, i really wouldn't care about the PW, but would love a sub VCO. Plus with the mono lancet, you can get the expander and run it threw a c**p ton of other stuff. I have heard lots of good thing about the mono lancet. People say it you can get moog/roland sounds out of it. that would be cool. Oh and its on sale for only $395 so thats the other reason you could say. right now i only have about $500 to spend but could save more. thought about saving for a roland sh 2, really would like one of those but its like $1k. any thoughts?
Mopho Key's, Roland sh-32, Korg R3, M Audio Venom, Korg EMX 1, Korg ER 1, and lots of hours in the hole.

Hair

Re: Heres what i need ( Mono lancet )

Post by Hair » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:38 pm

do it, get the expander (it gives you access to the pulse widths of both oscillators), something like a tiptop happy ending kit, and a STG soundlabs .com module (modeled after rolands sub-osc circuit from the 80s if I'm not mistaken)

something like an mfb dual lfo, the forthcoming intellijel quad function module or make noise maths would be also cool to throw in to give you more modulation sources to play with

of course, if budget is an issue, these purchases can be spread over time

breckjay
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by breckjay » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:45 am

i looked at STG, which sub-ocs module are you talking about?
Mopho Key's, Roland sh-32, Korg R3, M Audio Venom, Korg EMX 1, Korg ER 1, and lots of hours in the hole.

Hair

Post by Hair » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:40 pm

this one! http://www.analoguehaven.com/stgsoundlabs/com/ (it's confusing that the module name looks like the end of a url haha)

breckjay
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by breckjay » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:18 pm

thanks man. i have almost saved enough but might hold out for the minibrute. what do you thinking? minibrute or mono lancet. there right around the same price. The mono lancet has 2 VCO's but no sub osc, the minibrute has 1 VCO plus sub OSC and can mix all wave forms. I thinking i might go with the minibrute. It has a keyboard and CV in/out. just got to wait for it to come out. Plus the minibrute mod wheel effects the lfo amont.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:50 pm

breckjay wrote:thanks man. i have almost saved enough but might hold out for the minibrute. what do you thinking? minibrute or mono lancet. there right around the same price. The mono lancet has 2 VCO's but no sub osc, the minibrute has 1 VCO plus sub OSC and can mix all wave forms. I thinking i might go with the minibrute. It has a keyboard and CV in/out. just got to wait for it to come out. Plus the minibrute mod wheel effects the lfo amont.

Wait for it to come out? It is out dude, been out.

Hair

Post by Hair » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:45 pm

I think the most important thing is that the Mono Lancet is more of a classic sounding mono, whereas the Minibrute seems to have a very unique character (not that either can't get into the other's territory, but still) - decide which appeals to you more! They both seem to be great synths.