Roland Juno-106 with a dead memory batter...

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Em Pe Ge
Gear: Akai MPC1000, Moog Slim Phatty, Roland Alpha Juno 1, Animoog (via iRig midi), Ableton Live, Reason.

Roland Juno-106 with a dead memory batter...

Post by Em Pe Ge » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:10 pm

so i have the chance to buy a Roland Juno-106... for $250. i still need to inspect it further... but it has been "tested" in test mode... and all of the voice chips are working. although it doesn't have any of the presets in it, as the memory battery has died.

i've done a bit of research... looks like a replacement battery can be purchased for a pretty cheap price. it's my understanding that the original battery is soldiered to the main motherboard... so i guess my question is, how difficult is it to replace? is there a chance that i'll damage the main motherboard by attempting to remove the original battery? i have a buddy who is great with electronics/soldiering (makes fx pedals, ect...) so i will have a somewhat experienced person helping me...

i haven't personally opened up the synth... so i'm not sure if the battery is even still in there. i assume i should open it up and take a look at everything before the purchase?

is there anything else i should consider? from my research it looks like the filter chip and voice chips can go bad on these units somewhat frequently...

is $250 too much?

thoughts?

is it even worth the trouble..?

thanks,
-Kyle

madmarkmagee
Gear: King Korg
ESQ-1
Reface DX
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Re: Roland Juno-106 with a dead memory batter...

Post by madmarkmagee » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:33 pm

So does it turn on and work (sliders, keys, bender etc), apart from the memory not working?

If you're buying from Ebay/craigslist, it is full of dodgy sellers. Can you check it out in person? Whats the persons feedback.

If the VCA/VCF chips haven't been replaced with clones they will die. Clones cost about 40eur a pop. There are 6 in the 106. Type in Analogue renaissance in Google.

If the memory is not working then it's most likely the battery. I think with these things you could damage the circuit board if you didn't know what you were doing. I would personally take it to a Synth Technician/ Roland technical services and see what they could do, as I have no experience with electronics. You could DIY, but then again you could break it. Techs are expensive.

Also, there is always a chance the problem isn't the battery and a very good chance that there is something else wrong with the unit. Remember this thing is nearly 30 years old.

madmarkmagee
ESQ-1
Reface DX
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Post by madmarkmagee » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:35 pm

250 is ALOT less then you would pay for a working one. But it is broken.

madmarkmagee
ESQ-1
Reface DX
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Post by madmarkmagee » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:39 pm

I mean, even if the battery didn't work, BUT EVERYTHING ELSE WORKED FINE AND DIDN'T BREAK. It would be a good 250 spent. Minibrute? ton of other synths.... No memory. But the VCF/VCA's will die, there are ones listed on ebay as I i type which are listed as working, that will break in a few months, or are already dying.

Em Pe Ge
Gear: Akai MPC1000, Moog Slim Phatty, Roland Alpha Juno 1, Animoog (via iRig midi), Ableton Live, Reason.

Post by Em Pe Ge » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:40 pm

yea.. i'm really considering it. i personally know the seller, he's an old co-worker of mine.. he's a good guy.. so i know there won't be any funny business there.

however he isn't a synth/keyboard guy... and he doesn't really know the whole history of the instrument.

from what he has told me, all 6 voice chips work... and everything else is in working order. just no presets..

so i guess i'm just going to go check it out, and if everything works i might as well pick it up i'm thinking..

the no memory thing doesn't really bother me, although it would be nice to fix it. i might just pick it up and not mess with it at all... then if down the road the filter or voice chips start to go, i'll get it restored... or i'll just sell it.

i just don't want to put a bunch of money into it... as i'm not really even sure if i'll like it. seems like a decent deal though... if everything is indeed working properly (other than the memory/presets)

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:23 pm

Removing the old memory battery is pretty easy; if you're any good with a soldering iron at all, you're unlikely to damage anything. The best way is to unsolder the clips from the board; unsoldering the actual battery from the clip is not a good idea because the battery may leak. Once you have it out, a good tactic is to get a lithium battery holder, mount it somewhere in the case, and run wires from it to the place on the board where the old battery was.

IIRC it's a pretty standard 3.6V lithium battery. Any lithium battery of the same voltage will do as a replacement. If you put in a battery holder, of course you want to make sure you get a battery that fits it.

BTW, some early-production 106s have a design error that causes them to really eat memory batteries. There's a simple mod to fix that; I'll try to find it.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

synthparts

Post by synthparts » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:58 am

Make sure to test all the voices after the synth has been on several hours. A lot of times the chips start failing when they warm up...
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com

madmarkmagee
ESQ-1
Reface DX
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Post by madmarkmagee » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:17 am

synthparts wrote:Make sure to test all the voices after the synth has been on several hours. A lot of times the chips start failing when they warm up...
+1

fh991586
Gear: Roland JX3P, D50, U220, MVS1, JP8080.
Korg Kaossilator, Monotrons, MicroKorg, M3R.
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines

Post by fh991586 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:44 pm

Several hours?!? Isn't that a better way to burn out those chips? I almost never leave mine on for more than an hour at a time, so wouldn't it a better way to save the synth? Very few sellers would agree to leave it powered up like that while you wait around,and no proof would you have that it was poweed up a long time beforehand if you weren't there...
Considering parting away from:
-Roland TR707
-DSI Mopho

madmarkmagee
ESQ-1
Reface DX
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Post by madmarkmagee » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:57 pm

fh991586 wrote:Several hours?!? Isn't that a better way to burn out those chips? I almost never leave mine on for more than an hour at a time, so wouldn't it a better way to save the synth? Very few sellers would agree to leave it powered up like that while you wait around,and no proof would you have that it was poweed up a long time beforehand if you weren't there...
That's what the Roland technicians did when they were trying to work out which chips need to be replaced on mine. Why don't you just get the ones in yours changed? Even if you only left it on for an hour at a time the chips are still eventually going to fail. In fact, they could be going and you don't know yet. Some sellers are honest, and the op knows the seller. Better at least to try and get them to leave it on.

fh991586
Gear: Roland JX3P, D50, U220, MVS1, JP8080.
Korg Kaossilator, Monotrons, MicroKorg, M3R.
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines

Post by fh991586 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:12 pm

Since I'm in Canada (hello shipping fees & taxes!) and have no soldering skills, I prefer not to touch anything that still works fine. Don't fix it if it ain't broke!

And I actually never use it for more than an hour or two at once, so I am not limiting myself by fear of breaking it... ;)
Considering parting away from:
-Roland TR707
-DSI Mopho