yamaha cs series

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
martin200

yamaha cs series

Post by martin200 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:37 am

Hi, new to all this computer stuff, so please forgive me in all measures - A question; why is everyone raving about the yamaha CS15, when maybe why not get a cs5 and cs10 and link them thro the cv's? You would have the snappiness of the 10 and still two of vco, vcf, and vca etc. Or would it not work like that?

intrancewetrust
Gear: sausage fingers and a bad hat

Re: yamaha cs series

Post by intrancewetrust » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:34 am

i think it would cost roughly the same either way? so some may say, may as well get the 15 and save some space, and maintenance? you might gain some advantages, but you lose some things too... i think like triangle wave, glide, and pitch bend depth...the brightness fader is quite cool on the 15... i guess it depends if you really need something that the other option cant deliver...

imo buy all three lol they are fine little boxes well worth the money. the 30 looks good too :) and the 50.. and...

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:51 am

CS5 envelope is shared with VCF and VCA, and doesn't have the attack level control- which is essential for snappy sounds. I don't see people raving about these synths at all, although like everything else vintage they've gone up in value. They sound good and are among the more reliable synths ever made.

CfNorENa
Gear: SEM | SH-2 | Prophet 5 | MKS-70 | Microwave XTk | Kronos || AD 202 | El Capistan | DP/4 | Eclipse | Rumour | PCM90

Post by CfNorENa » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:28 pm

martin200 wrote:A question; why is everyone raving about the yamaha CS15
I realize this opinion is likely to get me banned from VSE, but I, for one, do not rave about the CS-15. Perfectly workmanlike, looks the business, and is an ideal solution if you just want to get down to the business of making music (which is, after all, the point). But I found it the most boring, plain Jane, vanilla analog I've ever played. For me it was ZERO inspiration.

I know this puts me in the tiny majority on this board, but hey, we all got different ears and different needs, right?

intrancewetrust

Post by intrancewetrust » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:29 am

i think thats a good point, its all subjective anyway. the sound is very pure, so it could be boring to some people. reminds me of a 'test tone' sometimes. and plain jane makes for a great first love...

analoglsd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Buchla Music Easel, TE OP-1, Korg MS-20, Yamaha RS-7000, Effects Pedals

Post by analoglsd » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:26 am

CfNorENa wrote:
martin200 wrote:A question; why is everyone raving about the yamaha CS15
I realize this opinion is likely to get me banned from VSE, but I, for one, do not rave about the CS-15. Perfectly workmanlike, looks the business, and is an ideal solution if you just want to get down to the business of making music (which is, after all, the point). But I found it the most boring, plain Jane, vanilla analog I've ever played. For me it was ZERO inspiration.

I know this puts me in the tiny majority on this board, but hey, we all got different ears and different needs, right?

After owning your old CS-15, you can add me to that minority as well.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:28 pm

I don't adore my CS-15 or anything. It definitely has more "ooze" than "pow". Has its place and does what it does nicely. I didn't pay much for it either. If I want to cut through a mix with some power, I'll go for the SEM Pro. The upper harmonics on the CS-15 are not it's strong point, it's the sweet midrange. If I could, I'd replace them both with a Roland SH5, but that's not gonna happen now.

I've mentioned on other threads about doing the serial channel mod and generally feel it expanded the tonal versatility quite a bit. It takes some work to find the sweet spots, I'll grant you that. Goes from yawn to 'ohhhh' back to yawn very easily.

The fast LFO isn't as useful as I'd hoped. No LFO square-waveform either. :x Feedback loops from headphone out to VCF in produce some nice options, but the VCF key-tracking is stuck at 90% and modding it would take some engineering. Mine also has kinda noisy VCA's and faint ground-hum is audible at higher volume settings that a power-supply recap did not fix. Still would like to add some modular-like CV input options at some point. (or maybe just get a CS-30 when I have a studio that's three times bigger than the one being used at present.)
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:15 pm

Solderman wrote:(or maybe just get a CS-30 when I have a studio that's three times bigger than the one being used at present.)
This is the solution to any CS-mono problem 8-)
Do you even post on vse bro?

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:54 am

Yes, the CS-30 is something else.

intrancewetrust

Post by intrancewetrust » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:19 pm

the basic tone would be the same surely? just more modulation/shaping options?

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:40 pm

intrancewetrust wrote:the basic tone would be the same surely? just more modulation/shaping options?
Right. WAY more options: 3 envs, speed modulatable/envelope-triggering LFO, ring mod and cross-mod, ability to do CS-50/50/80 style filter routing.. and a sequencer.
Do you even post on vse bro?

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:32 pm

I wouldn't knock the "basic tone". The CS series does the sweetest PWM square ever IMO. Each to his own I guess. That said, one of the reasons I bought a Novation K Station is because it's very easy to get it to sound exactly like a CS 10. And I would venture to say- a CS80 too.

martin200

Post by martin200 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:04 am

I ended up buying the cs15 anyhow. Tho on the morning of the day i bought it i saw a cs30 go unsold in japan for 8500yen (£670) AND seriously considered backing out of the cs15 deal and begging a few people for the extra pounds to buy the 30 instead.....!But didn't. Shipping and everything.
Am now trying to work out how the h**l to use this thing and thinking - a sequencer would be so useful......
But like i said, its all new to me! So, can anyone tell me, what is the best way to fire notes off on a Cs15? I'm guessing a yamaha or korg drum/rhythm machine or sequencer with cv out? Any suggestions please!

intrancewetrust

Post by intrancewetrust » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:29 am

a kenton box would be the best i think, but they are $

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:47 am

Pro Solo is not expensive when you consider its functionality. IIRC you will need Y cables for CV and gate because the CS-15 is really two synths in one box.