Which Korg?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Re: Which Korg?

Post by Alex E » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:31 am

c-level wrote:
bouzoukijoe1 wrote:MS2000 is way better than the Micro! and possibly for cheaper.

AND ONLY HAS FOUR f**k VOICES CMON if your going to do a VA AND NOT ANALOG at least do it right and give us as many voice as we have hands, perhaps keys. this is the BIGGEST let down i have with this synth sorry....
Never bothered me. I've had the BR and the 2k classic and they're very fun machines. Much better value than a Microkorg. It's one of the best knobby synths you can get for around $400 aside from the Alesis Ion.
soundcloud.com/vectron

c-level
Gear: Juno106, JX10, JX8P, JX3P, MKS50, SY22, SH201, Micromoog, CP 251, Korg Legacy, Triton Rack, Ableton 9, APC40, Max/MSP, Focusrite Pro40, Jazz Bass.
Band: C-Level

Post by c-level » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:36 am

amazing things can be done with one voice but if your not gonna give 4 actual analog oscillators in a rebadge synth, where as in the past the limitation to say 6 voices even seemed to be an economic one for the company and consumer: why not give it more than 4 voices even if you cant fit more than that on the keyboard? many other synths have done more with the same or less. if your looking for knobs and interface why not try a secondhand sh201? really not that bad and in the price range of micros/ms2000s with filter in and some other unique features like supersaw and almost twice the keys? i dont see what people write them off for, esp given what youd expect from anything in that pricerange.

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:52 am

c-level wrote:amazing things can be done with one voice but if your not gonna give 4 actual analog oscillators in a rebadge synth, where as in the past the limitation to say 6 voices even seemed to be an economic one for the company and consumer: why not give it more than 4 voices even if you cant fit more than that on the keyboard? many other synths have done more with the same or less. if your looking for knobs and interface why not try a secondhand sh201? really not that bad and in the price range of micros/ms2000s with filter in and some other unique features like supersaw and almost twice the keys? i dont see what people write them off for, esp given what youd expect from anything in that pricerange.
Because it was the year 2000 and DSP power was still expensive.

The SH-201 is a toy in comparison. 100% brittle plastic construction (MS2k is metal), no mod sequencer, no screen (or even a measly 2 digit display) only 32 user memory locations, and stubby keys that never seemed to be the right size to me. It's okay, but it's not going to inspire sound creation the same was as the MS2000 can. Also, yes, the MS2k has a filter input. And a great vocoder.

I don't want to derail this thread, but the MS2000 is an excellent choice for those looking to get into synthesis without spending a lot of money, and it's not that much more than the Micro.
soundcloud.com/vectron

phaeton

Post by phaeton » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:22 am

Well, as long as the MS2000 is better than the KP3 I bought with the highest hopes for morphing sound. Out of all the combinations (1000s?) I found about two settings which I found interesting. I know one man's meat ... & so forth, but many of the other sounds suggested dj effects to me basically, & i guess that's what they are - cool for dj's ok, but am not a disc jockey :| am still hoping I can filter more of these effects through something else, to round them out a bit, throw in a lot of echo, decay & so forth.

Plenty time to look before I leap just now anyway because I suddenly found myself in the middle of a pc upgrade crisis which has set me back a couple of weeks ;)

Thanks to all.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:43 am

phaeton wrote:Thanks to all,

Do you know the film this video references? It has some (early) subtle analogue synth effects - that's the sort of thing I am looking for.

'Stalker' by Andrei Tarkovsky

The keyboard isn't really an issue because I already have a keyboard (incl midi connections) but I want to filter tones and voices through a synth for effect.

P
OK, so it seems like nobody's actually listened to this to be able to give you an opinion that's actually informed or relevant.

For those kinds of sounds a very simple analogue synth like a Monotron and some effects would do a better job than a Microkorg or MS2000.

I would recommend getting a roland sampler like an SP-303 (if you're really strapped for cash) or SP-404SX and then use that like an effects unit/resampler combo to get the sounds you want. A monotron/monotron delay combo would work well to make sounds to feed into it as well, screw what people say about the noise, Tarkovsky used all sorts of weird optical instruments at times that were way noisier than a Monotron will be. In fact I think to make stuff like that you'd actually want to be adding noise.

phaeton

Post by phaeton » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:13 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
phaeton wrote:Thanks to all,

Do you know the film this video references? It has some (early) subtle analogue synth effects - that's the sort of thing I am looking for.

'Stalker' by Andrei Tarkovsky

The keyboard isn't really an issue because I already have a keyboard (incl midi connections) but I want to filter tones and voices through a synth for effect.

P
For those kinds of sounds a very simple analogue synth like a Monotron and some effects would do a better job than a Microkorg or MS2000...recommend getting a roland sampler like an SP-303 ...or SP-404SX and then use that like an effects unit/resampler combo to get the sounds you want. A monotron/monotron delay combo would work well to make sounds to feed into it as well...
Oh right, cheers, you seem to be on my .wav length :) & thanks to everyone else as well.

I appreciate this is a very difficult subject to home in on because there are so many users of analogue / digital synths out there now, i guess what i want is basically back in the stone age? It will be interesting to hook the Monotron Delay up to the KP3 & see what happens. Otherwise I have a basic Yamaha synth keyboard with MIDI in/out + a bank of effects in a pc mixer software, so I ought to be able to come up with something?

Thanks again,

Phaeton

ps. might be doing the KP3 a great disservice since it has its own sampler + MIDI ports that I have never used - only used it as a 'line-in' device previously. There might be a lot more mileage in the KP than I realised, especially hooked up to a Monotron?

oryjen

Post by oryjen » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:30 pm

Hey Joe, you need a Monotron!

Just one Monotron and a Boss RC20.
No FX (but some spring reverb from my old Carlsbro amp when recording).
No midi.
All played on the ribbon w/ fingers.
Sure a MicroKorg or MS2000 can't sound as good!
Korg MS20-MS50-SQ10-X911-SuperDelta-800DV-MP4-Lambda ES50-severely modded Poly800-PE1000-M500SP-Trident MkII-KPR77-DSS1-P61//EkoSynth P15//YAMAHA CS30-CP30-DX9-01V//RSF Blackbox x2//Viscount CL1-R64//SCI Multitrack-P600//Roland GR500-SH1000

phaeton

Post by phaeton » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:48 am

impressive! ;)