Australian Music Gear Prices (Revisited..)

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
intrancewetrust
Gear: sausage fingers and a bad hat

Re: Australian Music Gear Prices (Revisited..)

Post by intrancewetrust » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:18 pm

fortunately there is a 'keyboards and pianos' section. but yeah i could probably name every major manufacturer of pianos and electric organs in a pinch, lol

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:42 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Ashe37 wrote:are you including import duty in your calculations?
There's no import duty on items below $1000, and often things that are over that come through without any either.

There are quite a few places in Australia where you can get things at competitive prices to the US, equinoxoz for example sells modular stuff at about the same price as US price + postage, often less. Awave also sell things at competitive prices, you need to actually speak to them though rather than just pay the price they have on their website.

When I'm buying stuff here I go in knowing how much it would cost getting something from the US and factor in the shipping cost and time and make my decision that way. Sometimes I buy from Australia (most of my recent modular stuff, my Ultranova) sometimes I buy from the US or Europe. The people who work in shops here know what the prices are in the US as well and if you just talk to them, tell them you'd rather support a local business if they can offer a competitive price they'll usually be able to sort you out.
Stabs, could you point me to a place that sells synths/drum machines at good prices? (preferably with online store since I'm in adelaide)

intrancewetrust
Gear: sausage fingers and a bad hat

Post by intrancewetrust » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:37 pm

hah an MS-10 just popped up on gumtree, he wants $1200 for it. what a joker... you can get an absolutely mint one fully serviced and good to go for $1000 shipped to your door from modeless. sad thing is that someone probably will buy it anyway since stuff like this never comes up...

madmarkmagee
Gear: King Korg
ESQ-1
Reface DX
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Post by madmarkmagee » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:27 am

cartesia wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:
Ashe37 wrote:are you including import duty in your calculations?
There's no import duty on items below $1000, and often things that are over that come through without any either.

There are quite a few places in Australia where you can get things at competitive prices to the US, equinoxoz for example sells modular stuff at about the same price as US price + postage, often less. Awave also sell things at competitive prices, you need to actually speak to them though rather than just pay the price they have on their website.

When I'm buying stuff here I go in knowing how much it would cost getting something from the US and factor in the shipping cost and time and make my decision that way. Sometimes I buy from Australia (most of my recent modular stuff, my Ultranova) sometimes I buy from the US or Europe. The people who work in shops here know what the prices are in the US as well and if you just talk to them, tell them you'd rather support a local business if they can offer a competitive price they'll usually be able to sort you out.
Stabs, could you point me to a place that sells synths/drum machines at good prices? (preferably with online store
since I'm in adelaide)
turramurra music, Store DJ are alright. Some ebay sellers. shop around.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:22 pm

cartesia wrote:...Stabs, could you point me to a place that sells synths/drum machines at good prices? (preferably with online store since I'm in adelaide)
I've found these guys to be pretty good; :)

http://www.sounddevices.com.au

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:25 am

Oh sorry I saw that on my phone but forgot to reply. I like turramusic, awave (sometimes), storedj (sometimes), DJ warehouse (sometimes), and musiclab. Between all those you can usually get stuff for a decent price if you ring them up and actually speak to them. The prices are always lower if you speak to an actual person rather than just look online.

For recording and pro audio stuff I get everything at Factory Sound, they're by far the best both in terms of price and service. When I bought my Fireface UFX from them they beat the Awave special price by $50 because I'm a regular customer, ended up being over $1000 less than the price tag on the box.