eurorack modular suggestion

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
muhammed

eurorack modular suggestion

Post by muhammed » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:18 am

after learning to use modular system ,ı feel that ı am ready to build up eurorack modular system
here is what I've choosed so far
Cyndustries Zeroscillator
doepfer quad adsr.
analog systems ems filter
analog systems ems trapezoid generator.
analog systems ems moog low pass filter
cwejman DUAL VCA
MAKENOISE RENE
MAKENOISE PRESSURE POINT
METASINİC DISTORTION TUBE VCA

my modules list changes everyday but ıt is time to make proper desicion with your suggestions.

I have not decided about eurorack case and drum module yet. I also vacillated between makenoise rene and analoge systems three
row step sequncer. ı want use drum module and sound source simultaneously with sequnencer to synch each other. I guess makenoise rene only sequence one channel
but ı am not sure.

I am asking you to make sure , ıf I am missing something or if you have better suggestion.
this will be my finale purchasment.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Re: eurorack modular suggestion

Post by pflosi » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:25 pm

1. As suggested in the other thread, I'd strongly recommend to get an A119 (external input) or A190-1 (midi-CV/gate/sync) or equivalent modules (Intellijel is working on an external input ATM AFAIK) to solve your DAW-sync problems that you describe in this thread.

2. I'd choose the modules in a way that they expand and complement your System100m first, then later you can add more modules to make it an independent unit.

3. Be sure to plan ahead for Cwejman stuff, you'll wait quite long for orders... Same, but not as bad, for some Makenoise modules (you will want a Maths soon :ugeek:)... Unless you buy used.

4. Don't forget utilities. Multiples, mixers, inverters, quantizers, clock dividers, trigger modifiers, enough VCAs, etc. Check what you already have in the System100m

5. Get some stackcables, you won't regret it (DO NOT use them to mix stuff, only for multing).

6. Your module choice looks like a mixture of east-coast / west-coast style synthesis (Zeroscillator + 2 classic filters). I'd decide which way to go first and then build up accordingly, but YMMV. It's modular, you can do whatever you want.

7. Build it up slowly. Don't get all that stuff at once. Get what's most important first and then build up. That way you'll learn each module better. My 2cents...

8. For cases, I love my Doepfer suitcase. Lots of options regarding cases, but it's not very cheap. If you don't plan to use it live or drag around town for other reasons, you might be confident with a Doepfer low cost case.

9. Register on muffwiggler, read a lot, ask questions.

10. Use the modularplanner.co.uk planner.

muhammed

Post by muhammed » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:16 pm

my systems 100m modules are 2x191j, 3X112, 2x140, 1x150, 2x130, 2x121 and 182 sequencer ,184 polyphonic keyboard.
should I delete quad adrs and cejman dual vca from the list?

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pflosi » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:06 pm

You can never have enough VCAs ;) there are tons of other options than the expensive (but of course awesome) and hard to get Cwejman one. Having a dual VCA in a modular is never a bad idea, so stick with it (or get a functional equivalent, like Intellijel uVCA or check the Doepfer VCA line).

The quad ADSR is huge, but seems to have nice features. I personally am on the lookout for either much simpler envs (e.g. Doepfer Quad Decay) or special stuff (PEG, Maths, Envelator, Quadra, etc.). I have the quad decay and the PEG so far, loads of fun.

I think I'd let out the Zeroscillator at first, since you got 3 dual VCOs in the 100m. Unless you specifically want to do through zero FM that is, of course... But honestly, I cannot imagine that... Better to learn traditional east coast synthesis properly first before diving into west coast synthesis IMO...

Really I'd start with a case with the size you intend to go and just a few modules, I'd definitely get something that will solve your DAW-sync problem first, so you can use the 182 on the 100m properly. A quantizer would also be handy for the sequencer...

bouzoukijoe1

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:32 pm

it's definitely good to start with a small system first, like 3-5 modules. don't start too big because you will start developing specific curiosities as soon as you start patching.

samuraipizzacat29
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by samuraipizzacat29 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:31 pm

I would select a different oscillator than the cyndustries zeroscillator. imo you'd be better served by selecting less expensive options - i.e.: intellijel rubicon. Also, Dave Dixon / Danjel are much better community players, again, IMO.

Also, as I've said in another thread around here somewhere, I don't find ADSR Envelope Generator's useful when I play with the modular. It's more fun to patch a VC-LFO, or a more complex EG like the trapezoid generator you have. Also, I'd grab EG's that have the ability to loop (Maths, Serge VCS, or the doepfer one that does that).

and a big +1 to not forgetting the utilities. Manhatton Analog has the CVP, Intellijel has an attenuator, and Circuit Abbey is due to come out with a polarizing, attenuverting thingy. You'll have to see which one fits your needs best.

Get used to thinking in terms of voltage! :)

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:40 am

Yeah that sounds like a bunch of big name expensive modules rather than a system that will work nice and coherently. Also only one osc would get pretty dull pretty quickly, especially seeing it's a through zero FM module and you don't have another osc to FM it. ;)

Also the main thing I found funny with your post was you saying this will be your final purchase. Going modular means you'll never, ever have a final purchase. If you're thinking about things having a finite end point then maybe you shouldn't open the pandora's box of Eurocrack. :thumbleft:

I think that to start out you should get an osc, a filter, an LFO and one or two envelope gens, a few mults, two mixers and two or four VCAs. Learn how that works then get another osc then see where you need to go from there. Nobody can tell you exactly what will be right for you in modular land, you need to decide for yourself because only you know exactly what you want from it.

The other option might be just to buy a rene, PP + Brains and a bunch of logic modules and just use those to sequence your Roland. If you want to add anything to the Roland then you can decide what else you need after using the system for a while.

muhammed

Post by muhammed » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:02 pm

thanks for suggestions and I understand that doepfer a-119+a190-1+a160-161-a182 modules are must have.
Yes there should be a finite.(may be serge animal+tbk:) ) I can not spend my whole life in puchasing synths and modules. I am not going to build up large euro system.
because of I am international buyer build quality,solidity and stability is really important for me .ı am little bit afraid of cheap brands.
Do you have any bad experience about manufacturer'products.Doepfer is the Behringer of eurorack manufacturer's ?

samuraipizzacat29
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by samuraipizzacat29 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:41 pm

muhammed wrote:Doepfer is the Behringer of eurorack manufacturer's ?
no. just. no. Doepfer is great for anything utilitarian. now there's so many options that doepfer kind of goes by the way side, but doepfer is most definitely not "the behringer of eurorack manufacturers". It's actually kind of hard these days to find manufacturers whose products are total c**p. yet - euro sizing in itself creates problems that larger formats don't have (5u is sturdier and buchla/frac are more common to have banana jacks).

If you're going to interface with your roland (why have it if you don't want to use it?) then, agreed with Stab Frenzy you should get all the more interesting euro modules rather than duplicating effort without reason. If you like how the system 100 sounds, get one or two predictable oscillators (subconscious m15 and maybe a buchla 258 clone) and then have fun from there.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pflosi » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:25 pm

+1 on Doepfer being great. Dieter *invented* Eurorack!

Regarding the "a-119+a190-1+a160-161-a182" combo that I suggested in the other thread: I've filled up a Doepfer mini-case with modules that would complement sequencing with the 100m 182 sequencer nicely in that suggestion! What you really need to solve your DAW-sync problems (i.e. somehow generating a trigger from your DAW) is only one of those modules, either the a-119 or the a190-1 would do that job well. (Doesn't mean the other modules aren't useful though)...

In your situation, I'd let oscs out first. You got three dual oscs on the 100m already. Doesn't mean you cannot get more later.

I suggest you first decide on size of the case; then read up a lot on Muffwiggler, Schneidersladen, Navs modular blog, etc. Then go to the modularplanner.co.uk and make a plan. Then post it here (or over at Muffs) and we'll share our thoughts.

Build up slowly, only a few modules per purchase. You learn them better that way and you'll find out easier which ones you actually like. And, as Stabby said, get rid of the notion that you'll be "finished" anytime soon, they don't call it "Eurocrack" for no reason... There is a vital sell/trade community in Eurorack, so take advantage of that as well.

bouzoukijoe1

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:27 am

Doepfer is most definitely NOT the Behringer of eurorack. but some of their modules are better than others. you just have to research specific modules so you know which ones are great and which ones are "so so." my favorites are the A-155, A-140, A-151, A-152, A-183-2. but there are many other good ones.

check out Raul Pena's awesome Doepfer videos. http://www.youtube.com/user/raulsworldofsynths

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:01 pm

the only brands you might want to avoid when starting out are Plan B, Analogue Solutions, blue lantern and MFB.
they have had quality/build problems in the past, even though some of their products are totally solid as well.
you hear a lot of great things about intellijel but his early builds were downright flimsy and 3 of them had problems for me(spock, 2x Ustep).

eurorack is still a cottage-to-small scale industry and even the high-end stuff can have quirks and errors; no-one has the R&D budgets to forsee every problem prior to release :idea:

:arrow: therefore, at this point the only advice i can give that is going to be 100% true for you is this:

Whatever you thought you were going to use the modular for before you got it, that is going to change after you have used it a while.
at first i bought mine for fx processing only....3 yrs later i'm using it most for all manner of random, sequencing, and any time i need a synth to sound huger than huge.

and like others have said start small, and above all DON'T OVERLOOK UTILITIES - they are what make your system truly powerful and flexible; far more than any osc or filter ever will.
you can load up on fancy sound-sources and generators till you die, but only VCAs, mixers, logic/inverters and CV-processors can turn a complex contraption into a great instrument.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies