Macbeth or Telemark?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Post Reply
User avatar
Xces
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:20 am
Band: Solo works: Xces

Macbeth or Telemark?

Post by Xces » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:59 am

Hey there guys I'm looking for an affordable and easy to use modular to have. I'm really interested into getting a Telemark but they are quite pricey seeming towards how I'm going to get my first part time job sometime, so is the Macbeth M5 cheaper and which one would be easier for a beginner to use. Also one more question where is the best place to buy used gear, I'm told that it's not worth buying stuff off of ebay. I live in N.S. Canada so I need to find a place that will ship gear to here seeming towards how most of the synths off of long and mcquade are Yamaha and Korg workstations ugh. But anyways please do help me!

User avatar
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3620
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:14 pm
Gear: more than 150 characters...
Location: zürich
Contact:

Re: Macbeth or Telemark?

Post by pflosi » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:59 am

Well the M5 costs (or did cost) about five times as much as a Telemark. You can guess yourself what that means in terms of features, (build) quality and sound... I personally would stay away from Analogue Solutions, but that's just me...

If you plan to expand into modular later, I'd look at the Doepfer Dark Energy (or A 111-5), the Pittsburgh Modular Foundation, a new Oberheim SEM patchpoint or the Vermona Lancet Mono (with the modular dock).

If you have the money, Macbeth M5, Macbeth Micromac or Cwejman S1 would of course also be rather cool :thumbright:

Probably there are some more modern semimodulars I'm forgetting ATM... Check the demos and decide which sound you like most

User avatar
Xces
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:20 am
Band: Solo works: Xces

Re: Macbeth or Telemark?

Post by Xces » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:48 am

pflosi wrote:Well the M5 costs (or did cost) about five times as much as a Telemark. You can guess yourself what that means in terms of features, (build) quality and sound... I personally would stay away from Analogue Solutions, but that's just me...

If you plan to expand into modular later, I'd look at the Doepfer Dark Energy (or A 111-5), the Pittsburgh Modular Foundation, a new Oberheim SEM patchpoint or the Vermona Lancet Mono (with the modular dock).

If you have the money, Macbeth M5, Macbeth Micromac or Cwejman S1 would of course also be rather cool :thumbright:

Probably there are some more modern semimodulars I'm forgetting ATM... Check the demos and decide which sound you like most
Yeah I've been looking at demos of them, and I am really liking the sound of the Telemark, I might consider the dark Energy because it's more cheaper and I do like the sound of it. I might check out the micromac it looks pretty cool as well.

User avatar
Phollop Willing PA
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 840
Joined: Sun May 04, 2008 3:47 pm
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro
Location: Nova Scotia

Re: Macbeth or Telemark?

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:04 pm

I have a MacBeth M5 and I've seen them go for $1800 to as much as $8000. If you can find a MacBeth for around $3500 or less, it'd be worth it. Do you have a line on one?
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

User avatar
silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 1247
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:21 am
Real name: Ms. Jackson
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer
Location: East.
Contact:

Re: Macbeth or Telemark?

Post by silikon » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:37 pm

The M5/M5N -- VERY nice synth. Drawbacks? Size (it's HUGE, have a look at the pictures in my studio to get an idea), price (good luck finding one for grabs, let alone at an affordable price). CV only. (unless you get an outboard midi-cv converter)

Lately they fetch prices around $USD4000-5000 depending on alot of factors.

It's an incredible machine.

The Telemark - Small, compact, SEM architecture. Reasonably inexpensive (sub-$USD1000). I have patched it into other modular stuff (coupling it with my Tereshkova is ace), and never had a problem with it.

Honestly, it sounds a bit like you're all over the map as far as what you want. If you're simply trying to get started in modular or have a unit that has modular capabilites with the added benefit of being inclusive of everything you need for a complete voice, then I would expect you to have a multitude of options. If you can afford it, and are not put off with the initial learning curve any modular gear demands, I would sugggest as Pflosi suggested.

Also know that the Telemark and the Dark Energy are going to have rather different personalities given their differing filtering and modulation possibilities. It would help to put yourself within a budget (your original query had a rather wide financial berth) and get an idea what you want as far as sound, and ask questions based upon those things. Queries like "I have $USD1000 and I want a synth that has the potential for getting harsh timbres, would like to be able to have it capable to integrate into a modular setup later on..." give people a bit more of an idea of what you're looking for.

When it comes down to it, if I answered your original post exclusively, I don't consider either of your choices something I would suggest for a beginner. I would direct you to something that has a keyboard and a somewhat simple architecture as a basis to learn on and not be put off by things like Control Voltages and complex routings -- things that will put off many beginners.

A Moog Little Phatty, DSI Mopho -- both solid performers and both much easier to grasp than a semi-modular or modular system.
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

User avatar
Xces
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:20 am
Band: Solo works: Xces

Re: Macbeth or Telemark?

Post by Xces » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:19 am

silikon wrote:The M5/M5N -- VERY nice synth. Drawbacks? Size (it's HUGE, have a look at the pictures in my studio to get an idea), price (good luck finding one for grabs, let alone at an affordable price). CV only. (unless you get an outboard midi-cv converter)

Lately they fetch prices around $USD4000-5000 depending on alot of factors.

It's an incredible machine.

The Telemark - Small, compact, SEM architecture. Reasonably inexpensive (sub-$USD1000). I have patched it into other modular stuff (coupling it with my Tereshkova is ace), and never had a problem with it.

Honestly, it sounds a bit like you're all over the map as far as what you want. If you're simply trying to get started in modular or have a unit that has modular capabilites with the added benefit of being inclusive of everything you need for a complete voice, then I would expect you to have a multitude of options. If you can afford it, and are not put off with the initial learning curve any modular gear demands, I would sugggest as Pflosi suggested.

Also know that the Telemark and the Dark Energy are going to have rather different personalities given their differing filtering and modulation possibilities. It would help to put yourself within a budget (your original query had a rather wide financial berth) and get an idea what you want as far as sound, and ask questions based upon those things. Queries like "I have $USD1000 and I want a synth that has the potential for getting harsh timbres, would like to be able to have it capable to integrate into a modular setup later on..." give people a bit more of an idea of what you're looking for.

When it comes down to it, if I answered your original post exclusively, I don't consider either of your choices something I would suggest for a beginner. I would direct you to something that has a keyboard and a somewhat simple architecture as a basis to learn on and not be put off by things like Control Voltages and complex routings -- things that will put off many beginners.

A Moog Little Phatty, DSI Mopho -- both solid performers and both much easier to grasp than a semi-modular or modular system.

Yeah I am aware of that, and I just wanted to know which one was easier to use if I were to decide to jump into modulars at some point or get enough experience. I currently have a microKORG and I feel quite good with it and I also was able to play around with some analog gear at a store nearby (Little Phatty and Prophet 08 Module). As for sound I'm not too highly sure of it yet. Though I'd like to have something that's more aggressive sounding, if you can understand what I mean. Though I'd also like something that's more soft and warm sounding to add onto it.

User avatar
Stab Frenzy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9723
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:41 pm
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX
Location: monster island*
Contact:

Re: Macbeth or Telemark?

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:04 am

Xces wrote:As for sound I'm not too highly sure of it yet. Though I'd like to have something that's more aggressive sounding, if you can understand what I mean. Though I'd also like something that's more soft and warm sounding to add onto it.
For the first, aggressive, I'd recommend a Future-Retro XS. Can do softer sounds as well but does a great line in SCI-style aggression.

For something softer that would compliment an XS I'd be looking at the Tom Oberheim SEM. They can both do a lot of similar sounds but also would work well together. They're both semi-modular and really quite affordable compared to even cheaper modular synths.

Another option that could be worth considering is going Eurorack and building your system nice and slowly, as your finances allow. In the long term you'll probably get hooked and end up with a biggish system, but you could start off getting a Tip Top Happy Ending Kit, Midi/CV convertor and a Doepfer A111-5 (Dark Energy in Eurorack format) for under $1000 and then add another oscillator, more envelopes and filters etc as your finances allow. Getting started in Eurorack is much easier now than it was only a couple of years ago so that's a viable option. Another good choice is the Pittsburgh Foundation, costs a little more but it's a complete modular system in a very nice case at a very good price.

Regarding modulars and ease of use I'd say that from a programming point of view they're actually easier to use in a lot of ways than hardwired synths. You can always see exactly what's going where, it's only when you get a really complicated patch going with heaps of modulation that things can get confusing.

User avatar
Phollop Willing PA
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 840
Joined: Sun May 04, 2008 3:47 pm
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro
Location: Nova Scotia

Re: Macbeth or Telemark?

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:22 pm

Xces wrote:Hey there guys I'm looking for an affordable and easy to use modular to have. I'm really interested into getting a Telemark but they are quite pricey seeming towards how I'm going to get my first part time job sometime, so is the Macbeth M5 cheaper and which one would be easier for a beginner to use. Also one more question where is the best place to buy used gear, I'm told that it's not worth buying stuff off of ebay. I live in N.S. Canada so I need to find a place that will ship gear to here seeming towards how most of the synths off of long and mcquade are Yamaha and Korg workstations ugh. But anyways please do help me!
I missed the fact that you're in Nova Scotia. I have a MacBeth M5 and I live in NS. How much would you pay for one? I don't want to sell mine unless someone throws me a couple of gold bars and I don't mean Voyagers.

We may be doing a show with it in the spring as part of the SuddenlyListen series (if you know what I mean) but this hasn't been confirmed or commited.
Last edited by Phollop Willing PA on Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

User avatar
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 4230
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:43 pm
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld
Location: Drammen, Norway

Re: Macbeth or Telemark?

Post by Bitexion » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:31 pm

The macbeth M5's were ridiculously expensive when they were still being made. They've been discontinued now, so you'll have to find one used.

User avatar
Xces
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:20 am
Band: Solo works: Xces

Re: Macbeth or Telemark?

Post by Xces » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:52 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Xces wrote:As for sound I'm not too highly sure of it yet. Though I'd like to have something that's more aggressive sounding, if you can understand what I mean. Though I'd also like something that's more soft and warm sounding to add onto it.
For the first, aggressive, I'd recommend a Future-Retro XS. Can do softer sounds as well but does a great line in SCI-style aggression.

For something softer that would compliment an XS I'd be looking at the Tom Oberheim SEM. They can both do a lot of similar sounds but also would work well together. They're both semi-modular and really quite affordable compared to even cheaper modular synths.

Another option that could be worth considering is going Eurorack and building your system nice and slowly, as your finances allow. In the long term you'll probably get hooked and end up with a biggish system, but you could start off getting a Tip Top Happy Ending Kit, Midi/CV convertor and a Doepfer A111-5 (Dark Energy in Eurorack format) for under $1000 and then add another oscillator, more envelopes and filters etc as your finances allow. Getting started in Eurorack is much easier now than it was only a couple of years ago so that's a viable option. Another good choice is the Pittsburgh Foundation, costs a little more but it's a complete modular system in a very nice case at a very good price.

Regarding modulars and ease of use I'd say that from a programming point of view they're actually easier to use in a lot of ways than hardwired synths. You can always see exactly what's going where, it's only when you get a really complicated patch going with heaps of modulation that things can get confusing.
Thanks a lot for the help. I like the idea of just having a smaller eurorack, and I've been looking at the XS, it seems quite suitable for me to use, though I've never thought of getting an SEM, I'll look more into it.
I've taken a look at the Pittsburgh Foundation, it looks amazing, definitely something that I'm after, soundwise. I think I'd possibly be able to coin a some extra dollars since it looks worth it.

User avatar
Sir Nose
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 785
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:54 pm
Real name: Bob
Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400
Location: PA

Re: Macbeth or Telemark?

Post by Sir Nose » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:56 pm

Tinysizer?
Funkadelic wrote: nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty

Post Reply