Suggestions for a CV/MIDI + SH-101 setup

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
popsghostly1980

Suggestions for a CV/MIDI + SH-101 setup

Post by popsghostly1980 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:40 pm

I just bought my first SH-101 from the Switched On store in Austin, TX (http://www.switchedonaustin.com)!!!!

Immediately upon plugging it in, I set up a nice little arpeggio and tweaked that baby for hours! I'm floored by it's versatility. I've read a million great things about this synth, but never believed it could be as good as everything I read. I couldn't be happier or more blown away with my purchase...

Having said that, I use MIDI programming more than I probably should, and I'm not really familiar with how the CV functions. I have a basic grasp of the concept, but I don't know what's out there for purchase that will help me get some of my MIDI programs from my computer into the SH-101.

Any suggestions?

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Re: Suggestions for a CV/MIDI + SH-101 setup

Post by phesago » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:48 pm

There are tons of MIDI to CV converters easily available, some are cheap too. I have one I will give you for 20 bucks.

Also, CV is a great control method, not as versatile but whatever.

If it helps, think as gate as "note on" and Cv as "pitch control." You can also use the Gate in just to trigger the envelope(tr606 & tr 808 have trigger outs, as well as many other instruments). Very cool, look into it more :)

popsghostly1980

Post by popsghostly1980 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:34 pm

Any specific CV controllers (??) you have in mind? I've looked at the Kenton Pro Solo mkII and the Kenton Pro-2000 mkII. I was hoping to only spend $100 or less. I can make the leap if the product is worth the extra cash, but I wanted to see what other people were using, first.

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Post by phesago » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:56 pm

Except for what youve mentioned and analog sequencers, there isnt all that much. I use Future Retro Orb's, but that is only for sequencing. They do have both CV and MIDI though. The new Electron Box is going to be way up your ally because it will have CV compatibility(I am also considering getting this).

Let me know if you want my cheap-o MIDI to CV converter though. I never use it, and it'll do you just fine until you get something better :)

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:12 pm

My first MIDI to CV converter was made by Vesta Kaza and cost me around $100 back in 1990ish. These days I mainly use my MiniBrute to convert MIDI to CV. I've also used Kenton Pro-2 and Roland MPU-101.

In addition to the MiniBrute, other synths I know that will convert MIDI to CV are Novation Bass Station rack, Tom Oberheim SEM Pro and Waldorf Pulse Plus.

I haven't taken the modular plunge yet, but I know there are also MIDI to CV modules, but you'll need a power supply and maybe even something to mount it in.

Fatbenelton
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Prophet VS, Jupiter 4, Trident, Minimoog Reissue, Korg Odyssey FS, Analog Keys, WSAD, Nyborg, EX8000, CR78,RX5, KR55, Minipops7 & MV8800

Post by Fatbenelton » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:49 pm

Doepfer do one....MCV4

http://www.doepfer.de/home_e.htm

As do CHD Elekroservis:

http://www.chd-el.cz/index.php?id=2

Phil Rees also.......

All will ship to the US.....
Jonny Jones

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:09 pm

x0xb0x makes for a good one as well..

I used a Kenton Pro Solo when I had my 101

popsghostly1980

Post by popsghostly1980 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:25 pm

Altitude wrote:x0xb0x makes for a good one as well..

I used a Kenton Pro Solo when I had my 101
How would you rate your experience with the Pro Solo? Would you go with the xOxbOx now? I've seen those, and I've heard good things about them, but I've not been able to get my hands on either item you mentioned.

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:06 pm

Big city music carries most of the Kenton stuff: http://bigcitymusic.com/index.php?main_ ... cts_id=346

The x0x is a TB-303 clone but will convert midi to CV and gate (plus its a sequencer) I mentioned it since a lot of ppl have them and dont know that it serves as a midi to CV converter as well. That being said, if I still had my 101 I probably would have sold the kenton in favor of the x0x since its more than you really need.

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Post by silikon » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:24 am

phesago wrote:CV is a great control method, not as versatile but whatever.
Huh? [-X

As stated before, a x0xb0x is a nice, inexpensive way to get a MIDI/CV (and get a pretty sweet TB-303 clone as well)

Expert Sleepers, has 'silent way' and the hardware component (the ES-1 through 4) that you can use to control directly from your computer in a pretty slick fashion. It's a eurorack module, so you would need essentially a small enclosure/power supply to have a complete outfit.

As also stated previously, Doepfer and Kenton make ace devices to do exactly what you're asking. The Kenton devices are solid, and in my experience, reasonably simple to get up and running.

If you're looking for an actual hardware controller, I'd begin the search with something like the Doepfer Dark Time...
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:07 pm

Don't forget you can use the ex/clk in port on the 101 to "sync" it for recordings and such using its own sequencer. You don't necessarily need other gear with trigger outs to do it either, I used an 808 bass drum sample, and cut it down to a single waveform cycle, then sent it out from my computer to the 101 using a regular guitar cable. If it doesn't work at first, make it louder until it does.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...