What to do with a vintage synth studio (Not a music guy)

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Ryan@BrothersInArms

What to do with a vintage synth studio (Not a music guy)

Post by Ryan@BrothersInArms » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:09 pm

Brand new to your forum.
To whom ever owns/runs this,,, thanks for all the great info so far!

Anyway...to the long and short of it.... My wife and I have a small collection of vintage synthesisers and music equipment that we were unfortunatly the recipients of when her brother (my brother in law) passed away a few years back. he was a working musicion and these were his pride a joy.

Just recently we have decided to possibly break the studio down and pass it along to someone else who can at least use it & enjoy it. My reasoning for posting is we looking for some 'pro' advise...

Starting with:

• If anyone has any suggestions for shops in the Philadelphia PA USA area to have the equipment inspected and verified for proper functionality. Obviously outside of powering the equipment up, we have no idea how to test it.. the studio is still wired, so I assume it could be tested in place, or we could bring them somewhere.

• Again on the subject of leave in place or transport for testing, I would like to pull everything, properly catalog and photograph, BUT, to do so, would require disconnecting a rats nest of hundreds or wires and honestly I could never get it back together...

• the best resource for valuation. I've looked on ebay and other auction sites and the prices tend to be all over the board. While it does help get me in the ball park, it seams so much depends on condition. Knowing my brother in law, something would not have been hooked up unless it was 100%, but that brings me back to point 1 above to have that verified.

• and finally, if and when the time comes, on where to sell, ebay? private forums like this? other? Would it be better to break the studio down, or try and find somewhere to sell all the items in one shot.

here is a list of the parts were are working with... This is not 100% complete as there are a few items in storage that he did not have currently hooked up a the time. or where items that did not seam 'vintage' ex. modern Apple tower, Belkin power conditioners. etc.. or where items that I don't know where they go with,,, Odd external HDs (I assume for specific equipment), iOmega Zip drives, old small CRT tube displays, etc.....

This list is pretty much the bare bones of what he was working at the time...
  • Access Virus b
  • Akai mpc3000
  • Akai MPk-25
  • akai s900
  • Alesis hr-16
  • Alesis MMT8
  • Alesis SR-16
  • Allen&Heath mixwizard wz3 16:2
  • Berhinger ultrapatch pro
  • E-mu e6400 Emulator
  • E-mu emax hd
  • Furman RP8
  • Korg SB-100 Synthe-Bass
  • Korg DSS-1
  • Korg ElecTribe S (ES-1)
  • Korg Mono/Poly
  • Korg PS-3100
  • Korg PS-3200
  • Korg DDM-110 SuperDrums
  • Oberheim Xpander
  • Peavey mtb 2x4
  • Roland dep5
  • Roland Mc-4
  • Roland SBX-10 SyncBox
  • Roland SDE-2500 Delay
  • Roland SEC-330
  • Roland SFR-3000a
  • Roland SRV-2000 Reverb
  • Roland tr-505
  • Roland tr-808
  • Roland tr-909
  • Sequential Circuits Pro-one
  • Sequential Circuits Prophet VS
  • Sequential Circuits Tom
  • Sequential Circuits Prophet 2000
  • waldorf micro q
  • Yamaha rm800
Thank you everyone in advance and I look forward to learning what ever I need to help us decide on what should be done with all this 'stuff'...

Ryan & Erin

vcs3
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: BitOne,DX7II, M-1000, ESQm, Procussion, NanoSynth, VL1, P2500, K5000R, FS1r, JX-3P, Ju-60,HR-16, CZ1000, RX-5,K2600S, Nord G1r, G2, XL-7, Shuthri-1

Re: What to do with a vintage synth studio (Not a music guy)

Post by vcs3 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:03 pm

Try selling locally then thru forums like this and at last eBay.
Probably you will find some one the can check the equipment for a discount.
Don't forget: photos!

Cybercardinal
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Cybercardinal » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:26 am

1. Try if you can find someone here to help test it out for fee or discount. I think there is some forum members from Philadelphia. Otherwise take them to a shop and have them tested and fixed.

2. Definitly sell them piece by piece. Chances that you find 1 person who wants all that and have the funds for it, is slim unless it's cheap and he can make a profit on it.

3. Maybe people here could help set a price and you could try and see if they sell locally. Otherwise ebay.

4. Be carefull with those Korg PS's. They are valuable

Conclusion: ( :lol: )

Have a tech check them out and put them on ebay with a lot of good pictures

Synthetech

Post by Synthetech » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:09 am

I think I would seek out a reputable individual that is nearby you to help you check the working condition of the gear.
And I bet they would do it at no cost to you.. especially when you have those 3100/3200 Korg's sitting pretty in there... I can imagine there are many people who would love a chance to sit and "verify" the functionality of those units.

To run thru every single option/effect/patch on every piece of gear is probably not very possible in a limited amount of time. Like one or two evenings on a weekend..
But I'm sure most of the gear can quickly be hooked up and ran thru simple checks for their functionality.
The Korg's are probably some of the more complicated ones to check over compared to more modern digital devices with memorized patches/setups/screens/menu's.
I'd start with the easiest ones to check thru and work your way up to the more complicated units. Have a camcorder ready to capture the units operating as you go thru them.

Key to sales are documentation of pics.. the clearer the better, especially when it's in pristine condition.
Videos of the unit actually on and operating are a major plus in sales too. Additionally, any manuals and original boxes adds value as much as 30-50% compared to a bare unit.

plikestechno
Gear: Lots. See sig.

Post by plikestechno » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:25 am

There are a few people on here in the Philly area. Urgetoplay I believe is one moniker and there are a few others. I would just try to get an experienced VSEer to come and play with the equipment and note all issues functionally. A lot of musicians can live with physical condition issues as long as the piece itself is fully functional.

A shop will probably just try to take you for a ride in this kind of situation. Either insisting that thousands of dollars of work need to be done on them, with very little of that work actually needed for mere functionality, or they will try to offer you next to nothing for a lot of those things. Same goes with Craigslist/Kijiji. People will want something for nothing and lie to you about values all day.

Since it doesn't seem like stuff that has gone unused for 30 years you are fine with turning it on and just testing a lot of it yourself to a certain extent. Take a piece out of the studio, plug it into an amp, turn it on, do some simple functions (everything manual wise is on the internet).

Local pickup would be perfect for each piece but is anybody in Philly interested in paying top dollar for a Xpander or the PS3200? Probably not. The lesser priced and more common things I would just sell locally at a bit of a discount from current ebay prices. To sell locally obviously people want a bit better deal than Ebay or they would have just already bought the item on Ebay.

If you take the expensive items to Ebay and auction them starting at decent low amounts, you will get the most money, but it will be the biggest potential for you to get scammed by someone declaring it broke during shipping, defective or that they didn't get it. Describe it absolutely accurately even the smallest things, take lots of pictures, make sure everything is packed very, very well with lots of room on the sides and no movement of the piece in the box. Insist on full insurance and tracking. Pack it yourself, do not let UPS store or some c**p pack it. For most safety insist on only shipping inside the US.

Message boards are great but everyone here will know what everything is worth and they will want a nice deal and discount if something is fully functional and will want a really, really nice deal if there are any functional issues. On the flip side, you will be putting it in hands of people who will really enjoy and appreciate it. The other thing on message boards is that most people aren't sitting around willing to or have the money to pay top dollar for the top dollar things. Very expensive things don't sell quickly unless they are a very good deal.

If fully functional, I would take the most expensive things to Ebay provided they are in excellent condition.

PS3200 up to 6k on Ebay, 4k tops here.
PS3100 up to 4k on Ebay, 2500 tops here.
TR808 on Ebay up to 3k on Ebay, 1500-2k tops here.

So how much for that PS3200??? LOL
Last edited by plikestechno on Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40

DesolationBlvd

Post by DesolationBlvd » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:04 am

There are quite a few gems in that setup. Someone pointed out the ultra-rare PS-3x00 synthesizers. Other instruments in that list that stick out because of their value:

Mono/Poly
Xpander
TR-808
TR-909
Pro One
Prophet VS
Moog Matriarch
Oberheim OB-8
Sequential Prophet 2002
Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80
Roland JP-8/SH-101/RS-09/Kiwi-30/JD-990
Korg MS-20 Kit/ARP Odyssey FSQ
Yamaha TX7/DX100
Waldorf Microwave 1
Simmons SDSV/SDS9
Elektron Analog RYTM

plikestechno

Post by plikestechno » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:08 am

Yep. Other than that list and the Korg PSs and maybe the SB-100, I would just sell everything else locally at a slightly less than Ebay rate. It will move and so will the wiring, the stands, the computers, interfaces etc. It's worth quite a bit but not a ton and you won't have to go through the trouble of packing it.

I wonder what the name of your brother in law is. Maybe he's famous to some of us here. If you don't want to share out in the open maybe you can PM me. It won't have any effect on the value of the equipment, synth buyers don't care who previously used stuff, they just want a deal, but some of us fans of electronic music might want to know.
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40

Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: A new German poly monster, an old BBC Brit, a vintage poly beast from NY, someone's older relative from NC, and Eurolicious patchables.

Post by Ned Bouhalassa » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:13 am

Return airfare to Philly: 600 beans
Hotel for 4 nights: 500 beans
Getting to play with all that gear for a week: priceless!! :twisted:
My music: soundcloud
My analog synth videos nedonanalog
More about me: Mostly Human Music

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:32 am

even though this is about selling, i'm moving it to the buyer's guide section.

i agree with what's been suggested thus far, aside from using ebay to unload them since i hate selling on ebay. it's very risky as a seller, especially with old, potentially fragile gear.

i also agree that you'll probably be able to find someone who'll come help check your gear out - i think i'd personally suggest finding an existing local recording studio with a good reputation. they ought to know what they're doing and be of less risk of things being messed up by an amateur who volunteers.

now, if you'll pay for the gas i'll make the trip over from columbus to check out the 3100 and 3200. :thumbright:

syntheticsolutions
Gear: Rhodes 78 Mk2, Jupiter 4, Juno 6, VP-330, Prophet 600, Pro-One, CS-30, Polysix, MonoPoly, MaxiKorg, Opus 3, Machinedrum
Band: Lunar Modular

Post by syntheticsolutions » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:54 am

Ebay would appear to be the best route to go down IMO.

You eliminate the risk of being ripped off by some profiteering opportunist and so long as you state no responsibility for damages and pack the items with extreme considerations, it is a safe and fair avenue to sell gear on.

I really really hope those Korg PS synths end up in the hands of someone that will love and cherish them.
No doubt some fortunate individual will buy them and lock them away in storage for future resale as is slowly becoming more and more predominant with the older, rare synths :cry:

Your Brother in Law certainly had a fantastic taste in instruments and had a great deal of luck to obtain these wonderful synths.

Please see that they find their way into creative, caring hands ;)
Replicants are like any other machine, they're either a benefit or a hazard. If they're a benefit, its not my problem.

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:09 am

syntheticsolutions wrote:Ebay would appear to be the best route to go down IMO.

You eliminate the risk of being ripped off by some profiteering opportunist and so long as you state no responsibility for damages and pack the items with extreme considerations, it is a safe and fair avenue to sell gear on.
no offense, but that's completely incorrect. they side fully with the buyer regardless.

lazerface
Gear: Tempest, JX3P, Pro-One, Roland Gaia, Monotribe
Band: Solaires

Post by lazerface » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:50 am

Most suggestions so far have been about making the most profit,

personally, If I died and left a collection of amazing gear behind, i'd like it to go someone who's going to use it and cherish it rather than the highest bidder.

If I were you, I would probably sell off the sought after items locally, however long it takes. You get to meet the person purchasing it while giving a little bit of her brother away, seems more respectful to me. For the rest i'd probably look into donating it to a local audio engineering school so you can give someone full of enthusiasm the chance to work with some good hardware.

The sought after items, even at discounted prices, will get you a lot of money in any non-millionaire's terms.

Synthetech

Post by Synthetech » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:25 am

Since there is so much gear...

You could do a local auction for the entire setup.
Like an estate sale.

I've been to an auction like that before, it was all recording/synth gear and they sold for good prices.. good for the buyers and the seller.
Cash and carry.. all sales final. No hassle with shipping. Everything would be cleared out all in one day. No ebay/Paypal BS to put up with. People see what they are buying right in front of them, pay for it before they leave with it and you dont have to pack it all up and get it to some carrier that may or may not get it to the buyer in one piece.

I would first go thru it all, validate what is or is not working correctly.
Camcorder some of the more expensive gear working.
Prepare ads for the Auction.. have videos of the units posted up on youtube, etc. So people can get a preview of the gear online and see it is working gear.
I'd advertise it a month or more in advance.. gives people plenty of time to prepare for the event.. have it on a weekend so people can travel in from out of town, etc.

Just my 2c on it.

plikestechno

Post by plikestechno » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:34 am

I think we have a winner. I would totally do that. You can set starting prices. And plenty of advance so people could drive in.

Whats the rake for the auction company though?

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:35 am

10%-20%, depending on the items and the auctioneer