What to do with a vintage synth studio (Not a music guy)

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
plus321

Re: What to do with a vintage synth studio (Not a music guy)

Post by plus321 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:42 pm

I haven't read through the thread yet, but my friend Shawn at the studio here was friends with the original owner and sold him some things when he was out here (the synthebass for sure), I believe he is interested in buying it back.

I told him about this thread and he asked me to PM you his number.
Last edited by plus321 on Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

plus321

Post by plus321 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:47 pm

Also, if I am correct. I am in Pittsburgh, but I will be in Philadelphia the weekend around the 21st and I could try to help out in some capacity if you still need it by then. Anyway, good luck with it all.

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:52 pm

phesago wrote:
space6oy wrote:
syntheticsolutions wrote:Ebay would appear to be the best route to go down IMO.

You eliminate the risk of being ripped off by some profiteering opportunist and so long as you state no responsibility for damages and pack the items with extreme considerations, it is a safe and fair avenue to sell gear on.
no offense, but that's completely incorrect. they side fully with the buyer regardless.
I dont know where you're getting your info from, but that's not true either. I have never lost a dispute with a buyer from ebay. Just finished one this past week where the guy was claiming my mf102 wasn't properly working. He was just trying to extort me out of a partial refund. Not only did ebay side with my, but he got 1 of his 3 strikes as a buyer :thumbsup: Point being, ebay doesn't auto side with the buyer, even though that is a current huge misconception.

Anyway, that was off topic, sorry. :/
no, that's good to hear, maybe they've changed a bit since i bailed (and i'd been using them since 1998 so i did have some grandfather clause scenarios). it had been true for me the three times i got f**k over buy buyers stealing parts and damaging purchased items then being forced to refund them regardless of my terms, conditions and disputes.

walkathon
Gear: LionTamer 3.1

Post by walkathon » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:54 am

A quick aside ... sorry the original poster lost his brother-in-law, but this has been a really edifying thread overall, plus reminds me one of the reasons I like VSE is how the board keeps each other honest. Am putting a mention of this thread / site in my will so my family has an inkling of an idea what to do w/ my gear when I'm off the planet.

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:44 am

whatever of mine my family doesn't want to keep will be specifically delved out to musician friends who're still alive.

urgetoplay

Post by urgetoplay » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:56 pm

I figured I should give this thread an update. The OP contacted me and we managed to arrange a get together. The studio is located roughly 45 miles from philadelphia; this is important to know for any buyers in that the OP will most likely not have each individual piece on hand to answer questions. A bit of patience on the part of the buyer should be expected . They were gracious in allowing me into their home and the OP has done his due diligence in researching pricing for each item. I was there for roughly four hours; not nearly enough time to go through one complicated piece of gear much less 40 + but I did manage to check out the Pro-1,909,Xander,Prophet VS and the 3100. All of them passed muster with the common issues of scratchy pots on most of the gear. A bit of use solved most of these issues.
They had broken down the studio by the time I got there so powering on every piece of gear wasn't possible in the timeframe we had. The OP is going to do that. The gear as a whole looks to be in good shape; the 3100 has a few minor cosmetic issues , it was probably owned by forum member Hfinnie a bit back so that's a vote of confidence as Mr. Finnie takes good care of his kit. So, no, it's not a scam :)
Contact the OP ( if you haven't already ) if you're interested .....Urge
Resonance in Humans is called Empathy.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:25 pm

Its a great collection of gear but the proper price for any of the pieces that i want is far out of my price range. I wish the OP good luck with this sale.

Ryan@BrothersInArms

Post by Ryan@BrothersInArms » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:27 am

First off,,,, A huge thank you to Ron (urgetoplay) for taking the time to come out and get us pointed in the right direction... The ability to ask questions, and tap into his obviously extensive expertise is exactly what i hoped to find when I reached out to this forum in the first place.

Also, Thank you everyone for your PMs and Posts...

I've been slowly working through this process,,,, --- breaking everything down, testing where I can, cleaning (exterior surfaces only at this time), and all the tasks involved in getting this stuff ready to put on the market. As you can imagine, it's a time consuming task.

Time allowing, I'll probably start to reply to individual emails and messages on Monday/Tuesday of next week once I get everything photographed & cataloged.

In the interim,,, I'll share these unicorns since probably 2/3rds of the messages involve them.......

Korg PS-3100

Korg PS-3200

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080

Post by Ashe37 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:00 am

:o :shock:

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:13 am

Beautiful :giveheart:

schmidtc

Post by schmidtc » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:41 pm

Wow. Those are very very nice instruments; best of luck finding a good home for them .

Z makes a good point about Paypal. You will have to pay income tax if you sell the lot on ebay or accept money via Paypal. Unless you have a way to prove the capital invested in these instruments to the IRS to calculate gains, the tax your total sales would be a big pot of money owed to the government. I'm currently in this pickle myself, and I'd suggest avoiding it!

analoglsd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Buchla Music Easel, TE OP-1, Korg MS-20, Yamaha RS-7000, Effects Pedals

Post by analoglsd » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:29 am

schmidtc wrote: Z makes a good point about Paypal. You will have to pay income tax if you sell the lot on ebay or accept money via Paypal. Unless you have a way to prove the capital invested in these instruments to the IRS to calculate gains, the tax your total sales would be a big pot of money owed to the government. I'm currently in this pickle myself, and I'd suggest avoiding it!

schmidtc: Can't you just fabricate some hand written receipts, and say that you bought them locally on Craig'sList? With the receipts and a record of what you paid in eBay and Paypal fees it shouldn't be too hard to make it look like you took a loss on the sales.
Last edited by analoglsd on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlackGnosis
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: See signature image.

Post by BlackGnosis » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:56 pm

Virus b...want... so...bad... <3
Ashe37 wrote:I find it funny that you're a guitar pedal snob and yet don't own a single analog synth.

deeplow
Gear: bad luck brain

Post by deeplow » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:06 am

nice table 8-)
"You can never underestimate the amount of unimaginative people out there making music." Stab Frenzy

Ryan@BrothersInArms

Post by Ryan@BrothersInArms » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:19 pm

Finally got everything out and shot... A few loose ends and prenty of small bits still to shoot, but here is the meat of it... Prior to listing a FS post, wantd to share with everyone who has followed this thread.

Alphabetical order (except rack stuff):

Access Virus-b

Akai MPC-3000

Alesis HR-16

Alesis MMT-8

Allen&Heath MixWizard 16.2

ElectroHarmonix Memory Man

E-Mu EMAX II

Korg ES-1 Electribe S

Korg PS-3100

Korg PS-3200

Korg SuperDrums