How Much Is My Synth Worth?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
agent_cooper

How Much Is My Synth Worth?

Post by agent_cooper » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:02 am

Hi Guys...I have a Roland Juno-2 that I'd liek to sell, but I'm not sure how much I should sell it for. Any suggestions? Cosmetically it's A+, one key isn't working (bottom D) and that's about it. Any ideas would be appreciated :)

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Re: How Much Is My Synth Worth?

Post by Cumulus » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:08 am

There's one on eBay right now asking $150.00 with no bids. That one also has one non-working key so yours is currently worth less than $150.00.

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Post by silikon » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:13 am

If you know the problem you're facing with the dead key, you'd stand a better chance at getting a higher price for it -- and more if you fixed it before selling.

There are a few members of this forum that can either help you get parts to fix, or find a reputable service center to have it repaired.

That said, in excellent cosmetic condition with an inoperable key (without known cause) - if I owned it, I wouldn't attempt to sell it for any more than USD$250.00 shipped knowing it had operational issues. Not that they are baselines for others to judge upon given the wildly changing prices and other variables, but you can always check eBay for past completed auctions to see what something in similar condition went for, and use common sense.

You may want to contact a synth technician and ask for ideas of repair prices -- it would increase your odds of getting better prices (that could offset the repair charges) for it.
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Post by silikon » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:17 am

Cumulus wrote:There's one on eBay right now asking $150.00 with no bids. That one also has one non-working key so yours is currently worth less than $150.00.
It's got a starting bid of $150,- and a reserve of $500.-; that affects the outcome a bit. I don't agree with the assertion that just 'coz that one has no bids equals this one is worth less -- the current auction has 6 days left. Not exactly down to the wire -- although $500 dollars seems a tad wishful thinking.
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

agent_cooper

Post by agent_cooper » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:21 am

Awesome - thanks foe the quick responses guys.

Because of my situation (re-locating interstate) I'm a bit time-poor, so I don't think I'll bother with the replacement...I may just chuck it up on eBay explaining that one of the keys aren't operational.

Thanks again guys, really appreciated :D

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, Juno-60, Polysix, Emulator II, DX7, QX1, Arp Odyssey MKII, ESQ-1, Miami, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:27 am

Long story short: A fully working Alpha Juno 2 is worth about $250. It's been steady in that price range for quite some time now. Hard to say the same about many other instruments out there.
soundcloud.com/vectron

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:19 am

You'd have to look at completed listings as well as maybe some other known sales.

For so e reason I can't pull up completed auctions on the iPad so I'd go with what Alex E says. Keep your eye on the one on eBay now fir an idea but know that your results may vary.

vcs3
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: BitOne,DX7II, M-1000, ESQm, Procussion, NanoSynth, VL1, P2500, K5000R, FS1r, JX-3P, Ju-60,HR-16, CZ1000, RX-5,K2600S, Nord G1r, G2, XL-7, Shuthri-1

Post by vcs3 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:25 am

Repair the Juno, other wise you will sell it very cheap.

Pro-502

Post by Pro-502 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:15 pm

vcs3 wrote:Repair the Juno, other wise you will sell it very cheap.
+1

Agent-Coop: I understand you lack free time right now, but in my experience 99% of dead keys on these types of Rolands are a very quick DIY fix.

For example, last week I completely sorted 8 or 9 dead keys on a JX-10 in under an hour with just isopropyl alcohol & q-tips.

So, just a small amount of work will put you in a much stronger selling position.