Prohpet 600 and Juno 106 question

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
sawcreatives
Gear: Juno 106, Prophet 600, Korg Microkorg

Prohpet 600 and Juno 106 question

Post by sawcreatives » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:33 pm

Hey Everyone!

I am new to forum and happy to be here since as a synth noob, this has been a wealth of information for me. I recently picked up at prophet 600 and really like a lot of the sounds I am getting, but I have also heard great things about the juno 106/60. I was wondering if it is worth investing in picking up a juno to help get more good sounds or if the prophet 600 is close enough for the average person? I tend to play electronic/ambient/dance music.

Any thoughts would be great!

Thanks,
Stephen

minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Prohpet 600 and Juno 106 question

Post by minime123 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:27 pm

in my opinion, they can sound somewhat similar, but sound different enough to justify having both. the juno is a simpler synth, but is a bit tighter than the pro600. the junos chorus adds great depth to its sound. good luck.
mini
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- We Buy Sell Trade Repair Vintage Synths
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- https://tonetweakers.com

polyjuno
Gear: Bass Station 2
Juno-6
Roland TR-606, Yamaha RX11
Fender Telecaster

Post by polyjuno » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:04 pm

The Junos are popular for their smooth pads (thanks to the chorus effect), punchy basses and percussion (very fast envelopes), two areas which are not the Prophet 600's strongest ones. I can imagine the two will complement each other quite well. :) I'm actually looking for a Prophet 600 myself. I'm in the opposite situation of you, I have a Juno-6 but would love something with a different sound and more complexity (f.ex. 2 oscillators instead of one) together with it.

samaepstein
Gear: Realistic mg1
Juno 106
Modded monotribe
Dr110
Tr505
Foogers
Rhodes
Wurlitzer
Hammond
Band: Peekaboo Streetsweeper

Post by samaepstein » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:56 pm

I have a Juno 106 if you want to trade sometime. Ive always wanted the second Osc and sequencer. The 106 sounds decidedly 80's.

code green
Gear: prophet 600/evolver/juno 6/alpha juno 2/bassst'n/crumar performer/jv1010/suitcase rhodes 73/ '78 gibson l6-s/'73 guild mahogany/'69 fender princeton
Band: thermite zapruder

Post by code green » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:08 pm

I have a P600 and a Juno 6 and both get extensive use in my setup--they are very different beasts. The P600 has a big, woolly and somewhat dark VCO sound, whereas the Juno, with its DCOs and "sweeter" (prettier?) filter has a much more precise and generally brighter character. For basses and quick stabs, Juno; for thick pads and unison mode, P600. For sounds effects, brass, and strings, either or both depending on the sound I'm going for. YMMV.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:01 pm

Also check out the Nord Lead 2x, Korg MS2000, Novation KS rack, Alesis ION and Yamaha AN1x.

orlando56
Gear: Prophet 600, MiniKorg 700, Juno 106, Polysix, Little Phatty II SE, Poly 800, MS20 Mini, Behringer D, KARP Odyssey
Band: Squirrel Damage

Post by orlando56 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:34 am

I have both and think they are different enough to be quite complementary. Side by side, the 600 is much fatter to my ears, but it lacks the snappy envelopes of the 106. The 106 also has noise. The 600 makes great pads and FX (especially with Poly-Mod), the Juno great percussive and bass sounds. The string sounds on both are excellent in their own ways.

syntheticsolutions
Gear: Rhodes 78 Mk2, Jupiter 4, Juno 6, MS-10, CS-15, Opus 3, Machinedrum, RE-501, Roland Rack
Band: Lunar Modular

Post by syntheticsolutions » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:39 pm

I have the Prophet 600 and the Juno-6, I find them to be almost entirely different synthesizers with very little overlapping qualities.

The Prophet 600 is incredibly simple in design and interfacing yet can produce a vast range of tonalities and sounds. The prophet does generally sound a lot "darker" or "grungier" in my opinion. Maybe it is the way I programme but the P600 always sounds terrifying to me. It can be pushed to sound sweet and soft but it really excels at aggressive, ballsy, american pads, strings and basses. The unison/chord memory options on the P600 are much better than that of the Juno.

The Juno 6 is a beautiful instrument however it has an incredibly distinct sound to my ears. Where the Prophet can produce many different tonalities with the slightest nudge of a knob, the Juno can always be recognised IMO. The Juno can make amazing basses, pads, strings, brass sounds etc however it always sounds like a Juno to my ears. There is a certain roundness to the JU synths. The chorus is incredible too (something the P600 would have been fantastic with, maybe a cool phaser instead?) however, again, the chorus really adds to that signature Juno sound, this can be amazing for your needs or a disaster. It all depends on what sounds you wish to create, the Juno WILL give you classic, recognisable 80's all day long.

To summarise, IMO, they are two very very different synths and have hardly any overlapping qualities with regards to tonality. I would pick up a Juno if possible, They work wonderfully together :)
Last edited by syntheticsolutions on Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Replicants are like any other machine, they're either a benefit or a hazard. If they're a benefit, its not my problem.

synthparts

Post by synthparts » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:06 am

Other than both being 6 voices there is really nothing in common with them. So yeah they do complement each other well...
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com