Kurzweil pc3x vs.....something cheaper

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
n3wt15
Gear: a never ending cycle of ins and outs
Band: Armageddon Party

Kurzweil pc3x vs.....something cheaper

Post by n3wt15 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:42 pm

So I am considering trading my pc3x. I absolutely love its sound, and the weighted keyboard, but all I use it for is stock sounds here and there. I don't need all the bells and whistles inside of it, maybe its just kurzweils layout, but I just never dig into the patches on it.

Im considering trading it, because I dont use 90% of its functions, but part of me is saying not to.

I want a nice 88 kry keyboard in my studio, with nice pianos, and orchestral sounds...Im considering getting an older model, but is there any reason to? Should I just keep what I have, and continue to not use it to its potential?

What are my other options? I would love a nord stage, because the hands on control of it, however they are more expensive, and I would be missing the orchestral sounds (I believe)

I dont know, what are your thoughts.

samuraipizzacat29
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: Kurzweil pc3x vs.....something cheaper

Post by samuraipizzacat29 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:59 pm

I think you know what you're doing, but just over thinking it. Have you edited patches on the computer? they have that for pc3 users, right? coming from a pc3k8, I don't see how there's anything superior currently on market offering. I'd like to try a Kronos, but I get the feeling it'd be disappointing compared to software (just a hunch, not anything legitimate to make me feel that way).
anyway, the keybed on the 88 key kurzweil's is great imo. So I don't think you should ditch it unless there's a less expensive 88 key controller you prefer and can get the features you need with less expense OR there's an obvious feature on a different model you feel you need.
I know this is sacrilege, but the presets on the kurzweil make it as fun to use as designing sound on any other machine. So I say just turn it on and go with it. otherwise I'd edit on the computer if you want to tinker. yet, I found my k was just as much fun as a preset machine without needing to build from scratch.

n3wt15
Gear: a never ending cycle of ins and outs
Band: Armageddon Party

Post by n3wt15 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:56 pm

I have a hard time sitting in front of a computer to edit patches, and for some reason I cant get the software to work with my mac (which is in my studio), but it works fine on my PC up in my apartment.

I have it sitting under an andromeda and next to a serge modular, so I dont see myself digging into the kurzweils vast screen anytime soon...but when I need a good piano or string sound, boom!~ its right there.

but I feel a 2500 or 2600 would do what i need just as well, which I could buy for half of what my pc3x is worth, and put that money into something else I could actually use...a better computer maybe

BluMunk
Gear: RD700GX
Korg M3-61/Radias
Dave Smith PER
Virus Snow
FS1R
JV-2080/Xpanded
D-550
Matrix 6R
Proteus
QSR
Band: Sneezeguard

Post by BluMunk » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:32 pm

If you love the action and the piano sound, and you're not desperate for cash, then keep it.

You never know how that used 12-15 year old board has been treated, what fader/pot/output is on the verge of giving out, etc etc.

I think that the #1 rule of Gear Acquisition ought to be: "If it is a regular part of your workflow and you like it, don't get rid of it until you find something you like better!"