Theoretic "huge" modular

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Theoretic "huge" modular

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:18 am

So, if I wanted to build a 5 osc modular, am I on the track with what modules I would need at minimum ?

PSU
5 VCO's / OSC source
5 LP filters (I realize I don't need 5 filters either, but it would be cool as tits)
5 HP filters (I know this is entirely optional)
1 VCA

Of course this wouldn't have sequencing or modulation, but it would sound huge to build on later. Anyway, just looking for some input so I can start planning a modular for a year or more down the road :lol:
bonne chance

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Re: Theoretic "huge" modular

Post by GuyaGuy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:38 am

Don't forget your 11 envelope generators!
Are you trying to build a poly modular or what?

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:09 am

Well you won't run into deadmau5's problem of being unable to find a single oscillator in the first place.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:20 am

Yeah you'd only be able to do drones with that setup. You'd also need mixers to get the sound into the VCA. You could use Silent Way for software envelopes and modulation if you wanted, but if I were you I'd cut down on the number of filters and add some more mixers, VCAs and envelopes.

For a basic setup you'd be better off going 3x oscs -> mixer -> filter(s) -> VCA with a couple of envs for the filters and VCA. Then later you could add more oscs (I rarely use more than 2-3 oscs per voice, and when I do it's for more evolving drone stuff than 'huge sounds') and LFOs, envs, VCAs, mixers and mults for modulation, then you could start thinking about the interesting stuff you can do with a modular.

I personally would rather have a system with two Pittsburgh Cells for all my audio needs and then have a huge amount of sequencing, fx and modulation stuff taking up most of the case room/cost.

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:25 am

GuyaGuy wrote:Don't forget your 11 envelope generators!
Are you trying to build a poly modular or what?
Not at this point, I just would like to f**k with a badass mono with a shitlot of Oscillators. This is of course a pipe dream long off, so I figure I can dream. Shiiiiit yeah, I forgot about the envelope lol. It is very late. I have a big day tomorrow, and I've just been nervous & drinking tea all night.

I suppose I could use this as a five voice poly with the right modules & patching, but then it gets more complicated, yes ? I think of a modular as a monophonic generator.
tekkentool wrote:Well you won't run into deadmau5's problem of being unable to find a single oscillator in the first place.
I'm afraid I don't get the reference..?

Stab- Yeah, I've definitely been checking out the PGH modular stuff. Looks good, quailty as well. I'm going to start playing around with setups. Love the Java plug on Doepfer's site. The more I think about it, the more it seems foolish to start out that big. Esp with filters & osc being the most expensive components. I'd at the least like three. I'm also going to mess around in Aalto to see what I can come up with.

What did most of you start with ?

EDIT: Oh snappity snap ! Those cells look like a great entry into modular !
bonne chance

Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, System 8, MODX6, ARP Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog, oh... and some guitars.

Post by Broadwave » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:35 am

The most important thing will be the power supply!

If you're going for 5 VCO's it will need to be VERY stable, otherwise tuning and scaling will be all over the place... trust me, I have 9 ARP based VCO's in my system, and trying to keep them all in tune is a nightmare.

Next project - A 4amp dual rail PSU that can deliver ; )

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:33 am

IMO it's best to start slowly with modular (says the guy that filled 9U in the last 6 months :oops:).

Of course it's cool (and instructive) to have a "dream" configuration, but buy the modules piece by piece. Just enough modules to be able to patch up something is enough in the beginning, then you can expand from there. That way you'll also realize easier what functions you're still missing, and additionally you'll get to know each module better. Just decide on a case and then start from there. Or yeah, the Pittsburgh Modular Foundation might be a nice introduction... Or an all Intellijel voice... Or Makenoise... etc. ;)

And be prepared to spend a lot of time and money on this. :blink:

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:34 am

tekkentool wrote:Well you won't run into deadmau5's problem of being unable to find a single oscillator in the first place.
haha it's funny cause it's true. :lol:

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:38 am

He'd better find a patchcable first...

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:52 am

To be fair I think that photo's when he'd just set up a new space.

synthparts

Post by synthparts » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:31 pm

Kronik wrote:The most important thing will be the power supply!

If you're going for 5 VCO's it will need to be VERY stable, otherwise tuning and scaling will be all over the place... trust me, I have 9 ARP based VCO's in my system, and trying to keep them all in tune is a nightmare.

Next project - A 4amp dual rail PSU that can deliver ; )
You should get a Power One linear supply and that won't be an issue. I have a Power One HDD-15-5A which puts out 5Amps per rail which is enough to power at least 20 Serge panels...
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com

Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, System 8, MODX6, ARP Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog, oh... and some guitars.

Post by Broadwave » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:15 pm

synthparts wrote:
You should get a Power One linear supply and that won't be an issue. I have a Power One HDD-15-5A which puts out 5Amps per rail which is enough to power at least 20 Serge panels...
I've considered the Power One before, except that shipping to the UK doubles the cost to $400 (No joke!!!)

Mind you, I'm going over to SF in July, maybe I can make room in my luggage ;)

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:33 pm

Hybrid88 wrote:To be fair I think that photo's when he'd just set up a new space.
It is, he'd just wired up the studio and turned things on to show the pretty lights. Pic was posted on facebook and twitter.
Trust me, Deadmau5 knows his way around modular systems.

An example of what you can do with MIDI and lots of modulars.

condit79
Gear: 5U modular/STG/.com, Mopho, Sixtrak, Sprocket, xoxbox, juno 6, ESQ1, SY35, Ipad
Band: lvoe

Post by condit79 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:36 pm

I started by buying 2x dotcom oscillators, an stg pulse matrix (sub osc generator), a dotcom envelope that had this mod done to it to have the VCA built in and the STG mixer (has amazing classic moog modular overdrive that's like nothing i've ever heard in a keyboard synth) and the STG sea devils filter. If you want standard voicing that combo sounds so different yet classic. The eurorack stuff doesn't lean as hard towards big and beefy as it does wild and crazy, but both (dotcom/euro) can be pushed either way. I'd say with certain things, get a one or two MAX so you're not overwhelmed by options. With all the ins and outs of even standard oscillator models, you can have your mind blown on a daily basis by possiblities so getting a ton of everything could get a bit hard to mentally handle at first. You can always buy more (and you will) and the thing that's great about modulars is you can choose from so many filters. I have a minimoog, synthi, and arp 2600 filter in my system and a crazy multimode deal thats like nothing i've ever used. That does more to your sound than anything, IMO, for standard synth voices.

How do you like aalto?
soundcloud.com/lvoe

JJQ

Post by JJQ » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:42 pm

+1 on the STG mixer :)

+1 Start small.

And you should get a Oakley VRG or any other VC slope...
Gear: Minimoog, Mother-32, Roland MC-202, TB-303, (Boss) DR-110, TR-505, TR-808, Alpha Juno 2, Jupiter-8, Oberheim SEM, .com/oakley/moon/mos-lab/STG/Sputnik/MegaOhm-modular & Microbrute