Theoretic "huge" modular

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Re: Theoretic "huge" modular

Post by Bitexion » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:52 pm

At least it's more colorful than my brushed aluminium/black knobs Analogue Systems modular :)

condit79
Gear: 5U modular/STG/.com, Mopho, Sixtrak, Sprocket, xoxbox, juno 6, ESQ1, SY35, Ipad
Band: lvoe

Post by condit79 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:06 pm

Additive can be hard to do, but keep an eye on the oscillators that are "through zero" FM if it's something you want to explore. Also, keep in mind that there are things like the Tyme Sefari, Echophon, and Phonogene that allow for some interesting sound manipulation not available outside modulars. My advice, is that if you want a monosynth type situation, get dotcom/5u etc. If you want wild sound mangling, go euro. want both? get both :)
Both can do either but they lean in certain directions.
soundcloud.com/lvoe

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:53 am

I don't get why people would say .com format would be better for monosynth duties. Euro can do everything you need in that department, it's not just for crazy stuff. There is plenty of regular subtractive stuff in euro, I guess it's 5U guys trying to feel like their format is special too. ;)

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:49 am

I think it's the looks. It looks cooler with those huge Moog-ish modules. Thus it is better to emulate old Moog modular sounds in ppl's minds.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:19 pm

bouzoukijoe1 wrote:
sequentialsoftshock wrote:That was my alternate thought. Additive synthesis. How many people do additive with their modulars ?
probably rare. it's too expensive and also probably a pain in the a*s to get all the VCOs to track consistently with each other. maintaining the harmonic structures sounds like it would be a hassle. anyway you could probably do a basic one, but I can't imagine it being any "fun". there's are many other fun things to do on a modular, especially when you start approaching the atonal music world (just generally stuff that is not so harmony-based).

for a brief time I was obsessed with FM synthesis and frequency ratios on modular but then it became completely *not fun*, real fast. imo there's just some things that are more pleasurable to do on a modular than others. well, right now at least, until someone designs a new module that pushes the boundaries.
It's not rare if you assemble it yourself. :)

"Maintaining the harmonic structures" is what we old folks call "synthesis."
Would it be easy? No. Would it be expensive? Probably. Would you create lush, complex, and incredible timbres rarely heard? Yes, if you invested some time and effort.
And lets remember... we're not talking "synthesizer" sounds, here. We're talking ANY sound. Starting with audio oscillators and shaving away harmonics is a very limited way of creating sounds. That's why people can always recognize electronic music. Well, that and the fact that its now a genre instead of a technique.

It's true... it wouldn't be quite the immediate gratification of the modern synths... but that's why people moved away from modulars in the first place. The process has to present some excitement for you, or you might as well use simple synths or presets.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

condit79
Gear: 5U modular/STG/.com, Mopho, Sixtrak, Sprocket, xoxbox, juno 6, ESQ1, SY35, Ipad
Band: lvoe

Post by condit79 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:15 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:I don't get why people would say .com format would be better for monosynth duties. Euro can do everything you need in that department, it's not just for crazy stuff. There is plenty of regular subtractive stuff in euro, I guess it's 5U guys trying to feel like their format is special too. ;)
It's because after having owned both kinds of systems, I found the dotcom's strength to be in more vintage and more standard type tones due to what's available. Sure both can do both, but they DO sound different. Pittsburg modular makes some fantastic standard subtractive modules and STG makes all of his pretty straightforward filter/mixer stuff in euro as well..., but throw some make noise at it and you'll start leaning towards a different feel. The limitations and leanings of what you buy does influence the sounds you make. That being said, I just patched up my dotcom into more of a synthi type arrangement an worked it sans keyboard and coaxed some very interesting tones out of the whole thing that definitely weren't "typical" sounds.
soundcloud.com/lvoe