Analog Four interfacing question

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Phenom

Analog Four interfacing question

Post by Phenom » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:21 pm

I am really taken with the Elektron Analog Four at the mo, I can't remember being so excited by a new product in ages, could be right up my street.

Thinking of selling my Juno 60 to fund it (which will be hard for me as my Juno was the first synth I ever loved, but I've had it 18 years and I'm not using it so much right now and when I was starting out everything from it sounded so authentically analogue, but beside my VCO synths it just sounds a bit plastic right now, and I find it a pain to fit in a mix too).

My question about the Analog Four is about its CV/Gate interfacing. At the moment I'm using a Kenton Pro Solo to drive my 808 and an SH2, and it's great for that. That the A4 will sync the 808 well is a given, but what I'm interested in, is whether the A4 has any other features for the CV/Gate interface. The Kenton gives you portamento and tuning options (useful with the SH2 as using CV/Gate with it circumvents the SH2's own portamento circuit, and the tuning options are always useful for keeping old drifty synths accurate). Does the A4's CV/Gate outputs have any features like this?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: Analog Four interfacing question

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:02 am

You can change the tuning scale and offset easily, but as far as I can tell there's no portamento at this stage. Seems like something that could be easily added in a software update though. (I'm looking at the v1.00 manual)

It does add the ability to output envelopes and LFOs on the CV outputs though which is a bonus, and you've got four outputs so you could have 1x CV, 1x gate, 1x env and 1x LFO.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:11 pm

Over at the Elektron Users forum there's been talk about issues with CV control.

Elektron has already issued 5 OS updates in three months so they're working hard on stabilizing everything, but it's something to consider before you ditch the Kenton altogether.

I'm interested in the A4 myself but have been waiting for the dust to settle ;)
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:17 pm

Not tried anything other than note and pitch with my Sh09. Really good but every now and again tune would drift off dramatically and back again. This was an older OS at the time though.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:02 pm

With the SH2, keep in mind that it needs a fairly hot gate (+7.5V) - not sure what the A4 puts out...?

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:17 pm

Would that be the same for the SH09? Could the pitch problem I mentioned above have something to do with wrong (too little/too much) CV's?
I'm pretty much a CV noob apart from basic stuff with the mobius sequencer etc.

Edit: didn't make much sense ha

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:26 pm

I quickly checked the SH09 service manual - indeed it does need a +7.5V gate as well. That shouldn't have something to do with the problem you experienced though - if the gate that was sent to the SH was too low it wouldn't trigger at all and you wouldn't hear anything at all. On the other hand, this means that the A4 puts out a high enough gate for the older Roland SH line.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:44 pm

Cheers.

Phenom

Post by Phenom » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:08 pm

Some great replies here guys, cheers for that.

Nice to know the A4 has key scaling options, I think the problem with most new synths with built in Midi- CV/Gate conversion is that they lack these features. The portamento options would be a great update, and Elektron do have a history of continued support, so here's hoping! I'll have a look over at the Elekton forum for the latest user reports.

Thanks again!

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:46 pm

I do not have an A4, but I do have an SH09. It indeed does work just dandy with regular volt/oct CV. Nothing I own can turn over it's gate though. All my other stuff tops out at 5v.
But in reverse it has no problem playing a Dark Energy or several other CV-gate boxes.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave