Cheapest way to control a modular

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Cheapest way to control a modular

Post by ryryoftokyo » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:21 pm

My friend is in the process of building his own modular and asked me what the cheapest way to control his modular that has keys. Basically he just wants something with CV and keys. Doesn't need to be weighted, 88 keys, blah blah blah sensitive, light up, etc. I informed him of the Akai Max and told him for the same price he could grab an Arturia Minibrute, but I think he wants something way cheaper.

So any ideas for $100 or less? $200?
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

tim gueguen

Re: Cheapest way to control a modular

Post by tim gueguen » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:48 pm

Akai is coming out with a 25 key version of the Max soon. Maybe it will be closer to his price range.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:22 am

Any really cheap midi keyboard paired with the doepfer a-190-2 low cost midi cv converter.

c-level
Gear: Juno106, JX10, JX8P, JX3P, MKS50, SY22, SH201, Micromoog, CP 251, Korg Legacy, Triton Rack, Ableton 9, APC40, Max/MSP, Focusrite Pro40, Jazz Bass.
Band: C-Level

Post by c-level » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:36 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:Any really cheap midi keyboard paired with the doepfer a-190-2 low cost midi cv converter.
looking to get into some basic CV interfacing modules for my micromoog. what sort of doepfer module could turn a tempo click either by audio or midi sync from ableton and turn it into a 1/1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8.... etc lfo synced rate? :?:

c-level
Gear: Juno106, JX10, JX8P, JX3P, MKS50, SY22, SH201, Micromoog, CP 251, Korg Legacy, Triton Rack, Ableton 9, APC40, Max/MSP, Focusrite Pro40, Jazz Bass.

Post by c-level » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:37 am

c-level wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:Any really cheap midi keyboard paired with the doepfer a-190-2 low cost midi cv converter.
looking to get into some basic CV interfacing modules for my micromoog. what sort of doepfer module could turn a tempo click either by audio or midi sync from ableton and turn it into a 1/1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8.... etc lfo synced rate? :?:
also pros/cons to MIDI retrofitting a jwire moog v using a midi/cv like this?

edit: didnt mean to quote just edit, f**k. :oops:

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:31 am

Cheapest/easiest way to get sample accurate clock out of Live to a synth is just via an audio out if you've got more than two outputs on your soundcard.

c-level

Post by c-level » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:44 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:Cheapest/easiest way to get sample accurate clock out of Live to a synth is just via an audio out if you've got more than two outputs on your soundcard.
this doesnt make sense for a non midi synth? explain? audio/cv? wat? i think what im looking for is one of those more expensive doepfer midi -> cv with the clock things built in and then another module that makes sync'ed lfo tempo denominations 1/8, 3/8, 3/16 etc....

bouzoukijoe1

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:57 am

maybe Stab Frenzy is talking about Live > Expert Sleepers? ... as being more reliable than MIDI.

c-level

Post by c-level » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:23 am

bouzoukijoe1 wrote:maybe Stab Frenzy is talking about Live > Expert Sleepers? ... as being more reliable than MIDI.
maybe hes talking about this. it blew my mind. real question is TS or TRS cable?

ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Post by ryryoftokyo » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:32 pm

I sent him a message suggesting the module and offered up my old M-Audio Keystation for free.
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

n3wt15
Gear: a never ending cycle of ins and outs
Band: Armageddon Party

Post by n3wt15 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:07 am

you can send a click track as an audio out from your computer to your modular to clock it. I was sending a hihat from my tempest to control my Serge for a while until i got a minibrute, worked fine, but the minibrute works a lot better to sync.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:37 am

c-level wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:Cheapest/easiest way to get sample accurate clock out of Live to a synth is just via an audio out if you've got more than two outputs on your soundcard.
this doesnt make sense for a non midi synth? explain? audio/cv? wat? i think what im looking for is one of those more expensive doepfer midi -> cv with the clock things built in and then another module that makes sync'ed lfo tempo denominations 1/8, 3/8, 3/16 etc....
How does that not make sense? A clock pulse is a square wave, Live has the ability to output square waves. It's the easiest thing in the world, I even made a M4L patch that did it all automatically and even had buttons to press for different subdivisions (which it swapped between on the fly and could be automated) and triplets. Took about half an hour.

But if you want to just spend money rather than do it the easy way then go for it.

xanadu97
Gear: DIY Modular
Monotron

Post by xanadu97 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:44 pm

Buy a keyboard with MIDI. You can probably find one for $10 or 20 very easily.