doepfer dark time... or?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Ianh

doepfer dark time... or?

Post by Ianh » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:07 pm

I am looking for a stand alone analog sequencer (so cv and gate out) midi is a bonus but not necessary. Thus far I have considered a lot of options. I have decided not to go the diy rout. I am curious if any one would care to give any feed back on the dark time. It seems to have all the features i need and the interface seems nice and tweak-able also the price tag works for me. I am mostly curious if any one has anything that they dislike about it (glitchy os, poor build quality etc). Also if people just really like thats good for me to know as well. I am also open to other options but feel like there isn't really anything comparable in simplicity vs features.
thanks in advance

thinkingbeat
Gear: Korg Polysix, Waldorf Micro Q, Roland JP-8000, Korg Prophecy, Waldorf Nave

Re: doepfer dark time... or?

Post by thinkingbeat » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:07 pm

I've been thinking about the Dark Time as well. For some reason analog sequencers are not big sellers and they're rarely on the used market.

I haven't used the Dark Time, but I spoke to the folks at Analogue Haven about the Dark Time vs. MAQ16/3. The MAQ is a hybrid - analog/MIDI. They said the Maq was deeper but needed more time and effort to learn, while the Dark Time was better for performance and tweaking during recording. Nothing I've seen suggests there are any issues with the Dark Time, build quality is reputed to be very solid.

If you're considering the MAQ, there is also Analogue Solutions Oberkorn Mk3 - similar price but folks who compare tend to give the latter an edge. There's nothing competing with the Dark Time at its price or features as far as I know.

Hope this helps, albeit late...