Portable Noodle Box

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Arddhu

Portable Noodle Box

Post by Arddhu » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:03 pm

In attempting to resist buying an iPad for travelling I'm wondering if there's other portable music making devices people could recommend.

The main two springing to mind are the QY70 and the MPC500.

Is the MPC500 really that bad? The advantage over the QY I thought could be the ability to do field recordings and a few more odd things than the QY might allow.

Any thoughts?

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Portable Noodle Box

Post by Hugo76 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:58 am

What about a Korg Kaossilator? Maybe you could team it up with the MPC500, that could be cool :-)

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:18 am

Why the ipad resistance? Personally I think it's the best thing out there for a portable, flexible music device.

Arddhu

Post by Arddhu » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:28 am

You're probably right. I guess I'm just wary of the prospect of obsolescence with the iPad. I'm not confident that it's still going to be useable in a couple to a few years. etc etc.

Though, the inability of the QY or MPCs to also check emails is definitely a downer!

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:58 pm

Yeah, go for the iPad. I had a 500 and it was less than inspiring. I'd also say skip iMPC, and go right for beatmaker. There are a lot of great apps which interface with tabletop (in which instance, I would say go for the iMPC), and you practically have a little studio. iPads rule.
bonne chance

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:00 pm

Oh, and obsolescence ? Didn't you just ask about buying an MPC500 or QY70 ? Just sayin'...
bonne chance

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Post by silikon » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:25 pm

Some things I can recommend:

Teenage OP-1 (it's portable, battery operated and great for sketching up ideas; if you're looking for deep programming this won't satiate you)

(resisting suggesting the iPad because many have already done so)

For more "noodling":

Pittsburgh Modular Foundation
Analogue Systems Tereshkova or Vostok
FR-777

(and I fully understand that they don't have battery power, but batteries weren't a strict necessity called out in your OP, and are quite portable and well featured)
Stab Frenzy wrote:Why the ipad resistance? Personally I think it's the best thing out there for a portable, flexible music device.
+1, especially for having something on an airplane with a handful of good music apps to play with :D

Before the advent of the iPad, I used to carry my SH-101 everywhere I went, so I had some analogue fun anywhere I went.
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

Arddhu

Post by Arddhu » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:54 pm

sequentialsoftshock wrote:Oh, and obsolescence ? Didn't you just ask about buying an MPC500 or QY70 ? Just sayin'...
Another good point! I think in my Apple naivety, I wasn't entirely sure if Apple were prone to releasing OS updates that would render old apps un-usable. Are you able to not update the OS to avoid that happening if that is the case? Once again, please have pity on my lack of knowledge in this area.
silikon wrote: Before the advent of the iPad, I used to carry my SH-101 everywhere I went, so I had some analogue fun anywhere I went.
That's awesome. I'd love to have a Vostok-to-go but yeah, definitely leaning more towards battery power. I'm sure I could frankenstein a car battery to power a Vostok but I don't know how well that would get through airport security. :)