Evil Poly Pad Machine

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
filtermod

Re: Evil Poly Pad Machine

Post by filtermod » Sun May 05, 2013 4:18 pm

GuyaGuy wrote: Attack and Release time are both around 8 seconds. That's plenty of time for most applications. As for the filter stepping: You can use CV to control it. As for the slow envelopes, I'm not so convinced. It may not be a lean mean mono machine but they certainly aren't super sluggish.
Well put GuyaGuy. It's a quirky synth for sure, but it"s got a bad rap for some things that, to me at least, are non issues. The envelopes aren't the snappiest, but they're more than adequate. If you want punchy bass you can get there. If you want super snappy bass you may need to look to a mono for that.
It seems most people overlook the fact that the filter can be controlled w/ CV or via an expression pedal. I keep an expression pedal hooked up to mine for the times I'm looking for smooth manually controlled filter sweeps.
The stepping when you use the cutoff knob is actually more of a feature than a bug for me though. I like to use it as a sort of manually controlled sample and hold type effect. If you move through the stepping rhythmically along with the tempo of your composition it can be used as a creative tool. I think I would miss it at this point if it didn't step! :lol:
you can't fix stupid

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Sat May 18, 2013 5:07 pm

Well, I made a decision.

I'm going to give the Juno 6 a try again. I've been digging through my archives and listening to stuff I did with it. It was the first synth I ever laid hands on and it shows. Knowing what I know now, I'm thinking there's some deeper potential with it! Its super simple, the keys feels great, and (despite what others have said) definitely has giant sweet spot sonically.

It might not be quite as EVIL as some of the other suggestions, but I've been pretty happy with the old MS20 covering that ground!

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Sat May 25, 2013 10:12 pm

Picked up the Juno last night and messed around with it all day today...

Its neat to play one again. but I'm not sure I'm going to keep it. Sound wise its a little vanilla for my tastes. Albeit a very pleasant vanilla...

Besides, I think I sidetracked myself a little bit from my current project's synth needs which seem to be consistently satisfied by the MS20.

Glad I tried it again, though!

maindeglorie
Gear: Voyager Select,Little Phatty,ARP Solus,Omni II,Yamaha CS-40M,Prophet 5,Prophet 08,OB-Xa,MaxiKorg,Nord Lead 3,Nord Wave,Eurorack modular, etc.

Post by maindeglorie » Thu May 30, 2013 2:35 am

If you want creepy/eerie pads and strangeness - you are going to need two oscillators so you can detune them. It's obvious the Juno 6 wouldn't work - sell it to me.

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:01 pm

maindeglorie wrote:you are going to need two oscillators so you can detune them.
Sorry in advance for this bit of troll dung...but...I couldn't resist! It's comedy gold.

You have 2 Osc and you detune them...than what? :dontknow:
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)