Roland JP-8000, where to buy?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
capnchilibeard

Roland JP-8000, where to buy?

Post by capnchilibeard » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:13 pm

Hey VSE...

Do any of you have any advice on where to find one of these beauties ~$500?

I've seen em on eBay, but the asking prices are about $600-750 for USED UNITS. Now maybe I'm wrong, but that seems a bit steep.

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Re: Roland JP-8000, where to buy?

Post by Walter Ego » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:40 pm

Check your local Craigslist listings. They are common enough that they show up from time to time, and without the Feebay inflation. I would say usually 500 or under.

Also check the used gear listings on guitarcenter.com. Their prices are often pretty reasonable. In fact, I just checked, there are two listed there at $549 each. They might be willing to negotiate on the price.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

capnchilibeard

Post by capnchilibeard » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:57 pm

Thanks! I'm checking out the listings right now.

c-level
Gear: Juno106, JX10, JX8P, JX3P, MKS50, SY22, SH201, Micromoog, CP 251, Korg Legacy, Triton Rack, Ableton 9, APC40, Max/MSP, Focusrite Pro40, Jazz Bass.
Band: C-Level

Post by c-level » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:51 pm

check guitar center's used. says theres one here at towson. they price theirs on ebay averages so you can get one for a decent price (or less if its banged up). theyll ship to a store near you free and they offer limited returns on used gear. buying used gear from them is arguably less risky than buying from craigslist/ebay bc you can return it and get refunds and its usually examined by them.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Us ... 3086989.gc

*begin flaming from everyone whos every had a bad experience buying from or even stubbing their toe at guitar center*

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:24 pm

c-level wrote:check guitar center's used. says theres one here at towson. they price theirs on ebay averages so you can get one for a decent price (or less if its banged up). theyll ship to a store near you free and they offer limited returns on used gear. buying used gear from them is arguably less risky than buying from craigslist/ebay bc you can return it and get refunds and its usually examined by them.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Us ... 3086989.gc

*begin flaming from everyone whos every had a bad experience buying from or even stubbing their toe at guitar center*
I had to cancel my MS-20 Mini pre-order; I got a $20 gift certificate. Granted, they wanted me to buy stuff, but...I got $20 credit at GC out of it. I've had good experiences for the most part...it's just that often the people who work there don't know much about electronic gear. It's not like they can pay to have experts working there.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:14 am

capnchilibeard wrote:
I've seen em on eBay, but the asking prices are about $600-750 for USED UNITS. Now maybe I'm wrong, but that seems a bit steep.
Barring a very rare example someone bought new and never used they're all going to be used units. They haven't been made since 2001.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

N8-R

Post by N8-R » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:22 pm

I think he just means 600 - 750 is a steep price to pay for a second-hand JP-8000, and I agree.

I'd like to get my hands on one myself but until a reasonably-priced unit pops up, I suppose that won't happen.

Blame the electronification of pop (or the popification of electronic music?). Supersaw leads and pads are all the rage again.

Sir Nose
Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400

Post by Sir Nose » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:34 pm

Funkadelic wrote: nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty