Cheap Rhodes/Wurli/Organs (Juno D vs ?)

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
f__p

Cheap Rhodes/Wurli/Organs (Juno D vs ?)

Post by f__p » Sat May 25, 2013 12:46 pm

Hi guys

I need to get a single synth/rompler/sampler/whatever with some nice rhodes, wurlitzer and transistor organ sounds, possibly with built in effects. Right now I'm using my mac with kontakt and a controller, but I'd like not to use my mac anymore, a keyboard would be much more practical imo. Right now I'm considering buying a Roland Juno D used, since budget is quite tight (not more than 300 euros). I also tried the newer Juno Di, which has some great pianos and some decent organs. Is there any other instrument I'm overlooking, even older than the Roland I listed?

Thanks!

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Re: Cheap Rhodes/Wurli/Organs (Juno D vs ?)

Post by rhino » Sat May 25, 2013 3:51 pm

Welcome to the board!

The Nord Stage and the Roland VR-09 (sic) might be too much for your budget, I could suggest the Alesis QS6,7 or 8.

http://www.vintagesynth.com/misc/qs71.php

They are ROMpler, but have a ton of great samples (there is a VintageKeys card available too). Good key-feel. A lot of modulation routes lets you tweak sounds as you like. Finaly, a nice 4-channel effects unit.(based on the DP-4)
MYSELF, I'd avoid the X.2 versions...they seem to have a poorer build quality (thinner plastic, less key weight,etc.)
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Synths 'n' stuff.
Band: Klangzeit

Post by Psy_Free » Sat May 25, 2013 4:55 pm

A Roland JV-1080 & the 'Keyboards Of The 60s & 70s SR-JV80-08' expansion card will come in at less than 300 Euros and should do the job.

Sounds on the SR-JV80-08 include "B3, Farfisa, Wurlitzer and Vox organs - plus Mellotron, clavinet and the entire Rhodes sound collection".
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud

V301H
Gear: Fender The Strat, Stratocaster, Jazz Bass Rickenbacker 360-12, 320 Messenger(Mark Farner)
Band: The Characters

Post by V301H » Sat May 25, 2013 6:57 pm

The best kept secret for cheap-but-good Rhodes, Wurli, and Transistor Organs is the Casio WK-3800 which can be found for about 150-200 Euros.

The Rhodes and Wurli sounds have velocity switching so you get that "bark" when you play hard. The WK-3800 has a 76-note keyboard range which is well-suited for Electric Piano.

You would probably spend about 1500 Euros or more on a Nord to get a better Vox, Farfisa, Lowrey, or Gibson Organ simulation. The Casio can add Sustain/Release to the Organ to emulate the Lucy in the Sky/Waiting for the Sun Lowrey/Gibson sound. I may be wrong but I don't think a Nord can do this. Unlike some keyboards with a Vox or Farfisa Sample the Casio has a dedicated Drawbar Organ section which allows you to set up and store your own custom registrations so you can pretty much nail the exact Organ sound you are looking for. I should add that Combo Organ sounds are not part of the factory preset sounds. A small amount of editing is required. If you decide to go with this keyboard PM me if you need assistance.

There are plenty of Effects including Rotary Speaker, Tremolo, Chorus, Phaser, Flanging, Overdrive, Ring Mod, Reverb, Delay, etc.

The Synth section can apply Attack, Release, Filter Cutoff, Resonance, and Modulation to any sound including the Organ section.

The Juno Di is a fine keyboard but doesn't have the range of capabilities you will find on the Casio WK-3800. Also consider the newer Casio WK-7500 which can likely be found for under 400 Euro.
Last edited by V301H on Tue May 28, 2013 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prophet 5 rev.2, Pro-One, Juno 60, Jupiter 6, Matrix 12, OB8, MS20, Poly 800, CS70M, DX-7, CP35, Casio PX-5S, Hammond C3/M102, Vox Continental/Super Continental, Gibson G101, Farfisa Compact, RMI 300A, Pianet N, Combo Pianet, S770, S760, S50, NS3C

desdinova

Post by desdinova » Mon May 27, 2013 5:55 pm

I'd second the Alesis QS, really nice boards for the money.
You might also want to consider a Kurzweil. K2ks are short dough these days, overkill for your purposes likely, but at least it'd be able to grow with you if you wanted to get deeper into it.
rerum concordia discors | genre: wankery

f__p

Post by f__p » Mon May 27, 2013 9:06 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try at least some of them and report back!