analog poly

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

analog poly

Post by megamanx » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:08 am

I want an analog poly, in the past I have owend a prophet 08, roland hs10, bit one, and akai ax60. I would like vco's but don't mind dco's. I am considering the following:

oberheim matrix 6, cheapest, but seems like a pain to program
junos 6, 60, 106 don't mind having no memory on the 6
korg polysix, I have a monopoly don't know if they similarities stop on the way they look.
prophet 600, poorman's prophet 5?
other suggestions?

don't really want to re-buy the same synths again and would like at least 6 voices. budget of 600 to 1200

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Synths 'n' stuff.
Band: Klangzeit

Re: analog poly

Post by Psy_Free » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:07 am

Roland JX3P or JX8P maybe ?

Both DCO synths, but both are full of character, and can be had for much less money (with their respective programmers) than Junos for reasons I have never understood. They both have their limitations (like no PWM, amp & filter share Env on JX3P), but they can edge closer to the sound of VCO synths than any other DCO synth I can think of and they are still decently priced.
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud

megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p

Post by megamanx » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:33 am

I am considering an ax80, they seem cheap price wise, and they look cool spec wise.

yorgatron
Gear: ARP Axxe
ARP Omni I
Korg Poly-61
Korg MS-10
Korg Mini-Korg 700
Elka X-55
RMI 300A
Wurlitzer 206A
Hohner Clavinet/Pianet Duo
Casio XW-P1
Band: Asha-Med

Post by yorgatron » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:01 am

Siel DK-600

synthparts

Post by synthparts » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:29 am

If you can go up to $1200 the Chroma Polaris or Prophet-600 are the best analog polys in that range...

The Polaris has the advantage of multi-timbrality and keyboard velocity/aftertouch and the P-600 having the edge in FM mod routing...
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com

megamanx

Post by megamanx » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:08 pm

I was able to find a decent priced ax80 and bought it, will save a bit more and try the polaris.

megamanx

Post by megamanx » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:24 pm

i was able to also snatch a polaris and still remain on budget, will only be keeping one, so be on the look out for either one

smoinync

Post by smoinync » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:24 am

If its JX3P, make sure to hook up with PG200. Otherwise, u wont achieve analog poly's satisfaction. According to your given lists, i would probably go for Matrix6, myself own the 1000, kinda have expectation on the6(r). Then prophet600 & poly6

Deuterostome
Gear: Korg Poly800
Korg Volca Beats
Korg Volca Keys
MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
ProCo Rat
ZVEX Lo-Fi Junky

Post by Deuterostome » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:52 pm

I found a Korg Poly 800 for cheap here in Tucson, about $100. Apparently they go for cheap like that all the time. It's a DCO. It's downfall (according to many people) is that it goes through 1 filter. This doesn't bother me too much - it's a limited synth to begin with. I have other filters I can run it through. No biggie.

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:04 pm

Psy_Free wrote: Roland JX3P or JX8P maybe ? [...]
Exactly my thoughts. Buy them now while prices are still reasonable.

And yes, the 3P can be tweaked without the programmer. Hey, you can adjust only two parameters at a time using both of your hands, tweaking the programmer´s controls. Without the programmer, it´s only one parameter at a time, so what? I thought the 8P was a lot harder to operate without the programmer, though.

I got used to operating the 3P blindly... I didn´t even have a manual when I got mine. And the built-in sequencer is very useful -- it doesn´t transmit MIDI but it can be triggered externally.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:21 pm

megamanx wrote:I am considering an ax80, they seem cheap price wise, and they look cool spec wise.
They are not that good sadly. I had one and loved it for a few weeks and yes it looks impressive but it's sound just isn't there. It's ok for bass, great in fact, but not a very smooth or playable synth. Very bitty very gritty and the keybed isn't great either. I preffered the DW-8000 to that and I prefer the JX-3P to both.

As for the 8P? in some ways it's better than the AX-80 (usability, playing wise and definitely for soft warm gentle pads) in other ways it's not as aggressive or cutting or unique sounding - but I don't care to own either of those again. I'd take at least 10 of the other synths i've owned before 'resorting' to JX-8P or AX-80 again, not that they are bad bad bad but there are better ones out there for the same price (or less).

Oh and if you want VCO? Polysix!! I have two of them here - beautiful sounding machines! :) Prefer them to the Juno 6/60 a bit (again it's pros/cons) Juno has some great usability but for pure sound I prefer the Polysix.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:48 pm

If you weren't happy with a Prophet 08, you won't be with a Matrix 6. Very similar sounding.

synthparts

Post by synthparts » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:05 am

Ashe37 wrote:If you weren't happy with a Prophet 08, you won't be with a Matrix 6. Very similar sounding.
Yep, essentially the same voice chips are in both... Would be nice if DSI came out with a synth that used something besides the PA397/CEM3396...
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com

ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Post by ryryoftokyo » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:41 pm

Consider the Korg Poly 61. The sound sits somewhere between between a Polysix and a Poly 800. It can go from very warm and dreamy, to sharp and aggressive, to cold and metallic. The lack of up front controls, mono out, and no MIDI (save for the P61M) is often times a deal breaker, but this thing is too good to pass up for the price, IMO. Chord memory is a nice touch too.
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

groy

Post by groy » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:29 pm

ryryoftokyo, how does the Poly 61 complement or overlap your Alpha juno?

OP: You got both the AX80 and a Polaris, aren't you sorted? Thoughts an which you'll keep?